2359glenn | studio
Jul 21, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #13,816 of 39,994

I'm convinced that a large chunk of the surviving round plate Tung Sol 6SN7s are B stock pieces that went onto a military surplus shelf to be used in times of major shortage.  They were parts that tested low off the factory line or had some other issue.  The A stock tubes that passed all tests went out into the field and powered equipment that was used during the war.

Of course some of these supplies will have remained after the fighting ended, but I think a lot of it was actually used up for its intended purpose.  It's those rare caches of tubes you find over in Europe that are the really good scores for US made tubes, because they were A stock sent over there for the war effort that never actually got used.  The stuff that stayed in the states was the backup supply.

If that's the case I'm lucky as most of my US tubes are of European stock.

The AVVT 300BSL-C37 Ennemoser design are also great tubes and the the Mesh plates even better.
The AVVT PX4M considered by some as the holly grail of PX4.

Alesha like Glenn is a genius, their designs often copied and used by others.

I see some traitors here going SS...........
evil_smiley.gif

What do you mean traitors it's only the rectifier!!

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #13,817 of 39,994

What do you mean traitors it's only the rectifier!!

And in my case it's pretty much out of necessity.  If I can't find a decent pair of tubes after 10 tries I don't think I'm going to.

Not that I still haven't had good listening sessions.  I have the globe 45s back in the amp and it sounded glorious last night (I went to bed way too late).  But the buzzing noise, either in the room or in the headphone, isn't something I feel I should have to settle for.

So on that note, very much looking forward to hearing how a hexfred diode sounds.  I don't think I have very much voltage drop right now since the amp has way more powersupply than it really needs.  I'm expecting a tiny uptick in PRAT and transient definition and hopefully no change in tone.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #13,818 of 39,994

How they compare?

I have used the EAT, Elrog and AVVT.
I personally like them better than the EAT and Elrog (the Elrog failed). IMO they are much more musical.
The AVVT 32SL are just a little behind them in musicality but they have a higher output. They are equivalent to the EML 300B XLS and since I have the original version of the WA5-LE my HE-1000 benefit form the extra power.

I am in the list and hopefully close the the top (Glenn?) for ones of Glenn's 300B amps.

Yes you are close to the top.
It will be worth the wait It will top anything out there.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #13,820 of 39,994
Still enjoying my Glenn 300B, burning in the Elrog right now, it's slow since I am not "burning in" as I listen, so maybe only a couple hours a day, 8 hours max when I dozed off listening and forgot to turn the amp off until the morning.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #13,821 of 39,994

Yes you are close to the top.
It will be worth the wait It will top anything out there.

Yaeh!!! 
beerchug.gif

Can't wait. PM me next steps.....

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 21, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #13,822 of 39,994

And in my case it's pretty much out of necessity.  If I can't find a decent pair of tubes after 10 tries I don't think I'm going to.

Not that I still haven't had good listening sessions.  I have the globe 45s back in the amp and it sounded glorious last night (I went to bed way too late).  But the buzzing noise, either in the room or in the headphone, isn't something I feel I should have to settle for.

So on that note, very much looking forward to hearing how a hexfred diode sounds.  I don't think I have very much voltage drop right now since the amp has way more powersupply than it really needs.  I'm expecting a tiny uptick in PRAT and transient definition and hopefully no change in tone.

I know, I know.

Tyrell which 45's are you using?

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #13,824 of 39,994
  On a semi-related note Glenn, how is your amp that you're building for yourself coming along?  I think it uses EL3N tubes if I recall correctly?

I am hoping to finish this amp this weekend. This tube is said to sound as good as a 45 or PX4 when wired as a triode without the direct heated hassle.
It will have a switch triode = 1 watt or pentode = 4 watts but loses some of the triode magic.  Going to have a AZ4 rectifier.
Sure do hope it sounds good after spending $900 on Lundahl transformers.
Fun to build something new for a change.

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #13,825 of 39,994
  Still enjoying my Glenn 300B, burning in the Elrog right now, it's slow since I am not "burning in" as I listen, so maybe only a couple hours a day, 8 hours max when I dozed off listening and forgot to turn the amp off until the morning.

I thought the Elrog sounded great the way it was new.
You think it will get better?

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #13,826 of 39,994
It sounded great already, but just wanted to see if it can be greater :)
Elrog is very neutral sounding tube with great clarity, was hoping with some burn in it will lean just a tad toward warmer side.

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #13,827 of 39,994

I am hoping to finish this amp this weekend. This tube is said to sound as good as a 45 or PX4 when wired as a triode without the direct heated hassle.
It will have a switch triode = 1 watt or pentode = 4 watts but loses some of the triode magic.  Going to have a AZ4 rectifier.
Sure do hope it sounds good after spending $900 on Lundahl transformers.
Fun to build something new for a change.

I'd love to ear test it for you like we talked about a while back, if you want a second opinion on the sound of that tube from somebody who listens to 45 tubes all the time.  :)

If you don't want to send it through the mail for something like that though I totally understand.

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #13,828 of 39,994

I know, I know.

Tyrell which 45's are you using?

Ken-Rad UX-245 globes, circa 1930 or 1931 as best as I've been able to determine.

They eat all of my ST style 45 tubes for lunch.  :)  I could make them sound even better if I ran them at full bias but I was extremely lucky to find this pair in this kind of condition and consider them kind of irreplaceable.

Some people tell me the EML 45 tubes are as good or better, but they're crazy expensive and I am absolutely loving the sound I have right now so I don't feel the need to find out right now.

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #13,830 of 39,994
^^ Beautiful amp ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back