2359glenn | studio
Oct 4, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #12,076 of 39,994

Not a minority. There is at least two of us. I find the WA22 sufficient in bass also. However I use Audeze HP's which have plenty of slam.

Glenn put me on the OLT list for next year. I spoke to the boss (wifey) and I have permission.
wink.gif

How many are ahead of you?  I think I want the same thing in 2016, but I yet lack "permission"....

The basic amp for $650 sounds as good as the ones with all the mods just has less tube rolling options.

Got to get downstairs building amps now the lights are blinking it has been raining for 11 days now.
Got to get something done before I am in the dark.

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #12,077 of 39,994

The basic amp for $650 sounds as good as the ones with all the mods just has less tube rolling options.

Got to get downstairs building amps now the lights are blinking it has been raining for 11 days now.

Are you near all that hurricane crap in the Carolinas?

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #12,078 of 39,994

Are you near all that hurricane crap in the Carolinas?

No it is another storm hitting the Carolinas it has been raining for almost 2 weeks now.
Trees are just falling down in the soft ground taking out power lines.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #12,079 of 39,994

^ That!

I know that Glenn is not using the small chassis and transformers anymore but, if you just want to listen to music, his basic OTL - with $50 worth of tubes is all one really needs.
The other stuff is just because we can...

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #12,080 of 39,994
  ^ That!

I know that Glenn is not using the small chassis and transformers anymore but, if you just want to listen to music, his basic OTL - with $50 worth of tubes is all one really needs.

Very cute. I like the small footprint.

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #12,081 of 39,994
It's the OG OTL...Clayton's baby...I believe the 2nd of Glenn's commercial amps for HF.

It is a great amp for high impedance cans.

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #12,082 of 39,994
@2359glenn, I think the best way for you to showcase your amps is by displaying them at Head-Fi / CanJam meets:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/24/local-regional-head-fi-meets-parties-get-togethers

This way, people like me who are on the fence would be able to try it first-hand, which is vital for us to make a determination, especially on a little known brand. I honestly think you should look into this - you would probably build much more of a following after a few meets, and your amps value versus the other summit-fi names would probably wow everybody too!

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #12,083 of 39,994

^ That!

I agree, I have not rolled a tube in Glenns amp yet that did not sound good.

Glenn prides himself in making amps that can use cheap tubes and he most certainly has succeeded.

I am a very new owner of a Glenn OTL and it has exceeded my expectations and what I read about them and what everybody told me about them is very true.

As I am sitting here listening to B.B. King right now, I could not be any happier.....a pair of GE PY500 rectifiers....Mullard 6080 Power Tubes ....Brimar 13D1 Driver tube which is a 25SN7.....Lucille has never sounded better  
smile.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #12,084 of 39,994
I agree, I have not rolled a tube in Glenns amp yet that did not sound good.

Glenn prides himself in making amps that can use cheap tubes and he most certainly has succeeded.

I am a very new owner of a Glenn OTL and it has exceeded my expectations and what I read about them and what everybody told me about them is very true.

As I am sitting here listening to B.B. King right now, I could not be any happier.....a pair of GE PY500 rectifiers....Mullard 6080 Power Tubes ....Brimar 13D1 Driver tube which is a 25SN7.....Lucille has never sounded better  :smile:
Whirlwind where do you purchase the tubes you do buy. Think I may start stocking up. Any suggestions would be great, thanks

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #12,085 of 39,994
I've bought from e-bay....Langrex....B/S/T forums here at headfi......valvetubes.....

The other folks here probably know way more places than myself.  
smile.gif

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #12,086 of 39,994

small footprint. BIG SOUND!
  It's the OG OTL...Clayton's baby...I believe the 2nd of Glenn's commercial amps for HF.

The only tube amp I own that will lift the Sennheiser HD 650's notorious dark veil, to showcase its extraordinary sound spectrum.

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #12,087 of 39,994

The only tube amp I own that will lift the Sennheiser HD 650's notorious dark veil, to showcase its extraordinary sound spectrum.

Yeah, Glenns amp took my HD650 to another level, for sure.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #12,088 of 39,994

Yeah, Glenns amp took my HD650 to another level, for sure.

Yes that is a oldie glad to see it again.
The new ones are really not that different same sound signature.

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #12,089 of 39,994
Glenn sent me two different pair of 42EC4/PY500 tubes

GE & RCA .....They have a different construction for sure....I did not notice a difference in sound, either the tubes sound similar or these tubes do not play with the sound much or my old ears can not tell  
tongue.gif

Here you can see the difference in construction.

The GE maybe is a rebranded Mullard....it is built pretty rugged and the RCA pretty wimpy next to it.

The sound is wonderful with either set of tubes installed.

The RCA does make a nice little volcano glow    
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back