2359glenn | studio
Oct 3, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #12,061 of 39,998

ted webber -I bought some guitar amp speakers from.  I had mullard 5ar4 rectifiers from a deluxe reverb- that's how I got started.  So I remember getting 5y3 too etc 12ax7 mullards telefunkens.  I had to give up playing because of an injury but I had all these valves - fortunately I found stereo and headphone amps to put them in. 

I think the point of solid state in a stereo amp is for good bass?

When used in my PP amp compared to a say gz37 the weber rec. gave a sense of faster and leaner sound.  The bass was but more impact full too.  But tube rec. gave me a mellower sound I was looking for and better soundstage.

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #12,062 of 39,998

... Blowing capacitors What is that a feature.  Did you pay extra for that feature.

It came standard with my WA5
wink_face.gif

It certainly added some excitement to my audio day, in all the wrong ways.

Glad I went the extra yard for the Dueland coupling caps in my amp build - those guys have an awesome rep. Kinda like Lundahl transformers - apex components.

The Duelund caps do sound good quality coupling caps are as important as good transformers.
Paper in oil is the way to go.

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #12,063 of 39,998
  When used in my PP amp compared to a say gz37 the weber rec. gave a sense of faster and leaner sound.  The bass was but more impact full too.  But tube rec. gave me a mellower sound I was looking for and better soundstage.

I mentioned this in the woo amp owners thread that if they find bass slam is not enough they should get a solid state rectifier - no sag.   But I think there are "purists" - who want all tube but are searching for 3d bass.  Maybe through Glenns 300b or et al the rich deep bass will be there.  But I'm in the minority where I find the wa22 bass sufficient - but I listen to lots of vocals now so.  I may get a Glenn 300b one day for the dynamics alone.

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #12,064 of 39,998
I mentioned this in the woo amp owners thread that if they find bass slam is not enough they should get a solid state rectifier - no sag.   But I think there are "purists" - who want all tube but are searching for 3d bass.  Maybe through Glenns 300b or et al the rich deep bass will be there.  But I'm in the minority where I find the wa22 bass sufficient - but I listen to lots of vocals now so.  I may get a Glenn 300b one day for the dynamics alone.

Not a minority. There is at least two of us. I find the WA22 sufficient in bass also. However I use Audeze HP's which have plenty of slam.

Glenn put me on the OLT list for next year. I spoke to the boss (wifey) and I have permission. :wink:

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #12,065 of 39,998
Not a minority. There is at least two of us. I find the WA22 sufficient in bass also. However I use Audeze HP's which have plenty of slam.

Glenn put me on the OLT list for next year. I spoke to the boss (wifey) and I have permission.
wink.gif

This is assuming Glenn won't ban all deliveries to folks south of the equator after my "crusty grandfather" comment
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #12,066 of 39,998

Glenn put me on the OLT list for next year. I spoke to the boss (wifey) and I have permission.
wink.gif

This is assuming Glenn won't ban all deliveries to folks south of the equator after my "crusty grandfather" comment
smile.gif

This is considering if Badas is your friend and I think he is. Guilt by association
Is everybody south of the equator ******** not sure but assume so at this point.
I will only ship noisy and exploding amps south of the equator you guys are used
those features.
Crusty grandfather

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #12,067 of 39,998
This is considering if Badas is your friend and I think he is. Guilt by association
Is everybody south of the equator ******** not sure but assume so at this point.
I will only ship noisy and exploding amps south of the equator you guys are used
those features.
Crusty grandfather

:D

Our tubes going Boom! Must be a magnetic pole thing. :D

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #12,068 of 39,998
I had to check, I am very much North of equator so I am safe! :grinning:

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #12,069 of 39,998

wink.gif

Yes I agree with the Audeze - I have the 3f you have the X I see.  I mean also with the hd800 -I'm fine with it.  Have you heard of the lcd-4f?

Everyone will move up to the 300b.  What will happen in the next 10 years?

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #12,072 of 39,998

those features.
Crusty grandfather

biggrin.gif

Our tubes going Boom! Must be a magnetic pole thing.
biggrin.gif

Yes it is the south magnetic field is the root cause of all your amp problems..
Got edited out what I called you guys.
Crusty grandfather

Oct 4, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #12,074 of 39,998

wink.gif

smile.gif

those features.
Crusty grandfather

Ha ha ha....
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #12,075 of 39,998

wink.gif

How many are ahead of you?  I think I want the same thing in 2016, but I yet lack "permission"....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back