2359glenn | studio
Feb 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #8,491 of 39,994
Nice very nice, save some for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

War: Me & Baby Brother, Cinco de Mayo, Spill the Wine (with Eric Burdon), Nappy Head, Gypsy Man, Southern Part of Texas,  Slippin' Into Darkness, The World is a Ghetto, Tobacco Road, Low Rider,  The Cisco Kid, Get Down

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #8,492 of 39,994
There is going to be a price increase on the OTL amp I went to order replacement parts and some of them more then doubled. Right now I am not making money maybe breaking even Not counting my time. Have to try cheaper parts and see what it sounds like. Also want to build a different lower cost experimental amp and send it to my buddy for evaluation. Maybe even go SS rectification.Or use the PY500 rectifier I used in the 300B amp. Can be gotten for $1.00 This amp will use 12SN7 driver and TV horizontal output tubes for outputs more low cost tubes. $2.50 and a lower cost industrial control transformer. These tubes can handle 500ma cathode current so the amp should have more drive and lower impedance output. Will see how it sounds soon.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #8,493 of 39,994
  Nice very nice, save some for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

War: Me & Baby Brother, Cinco de Mayo, Spill the Wine (with Eric Burdon), Nappy Head, Gypsy Man, Southern Part of Texas,  Slippin' Into Darkness, The World is a Ghetto, Tobacco Road, Low Rider,  The Cisco Kid, Get Down

yes.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #8,494 of 39,994
There is going to be a price increase on the OTL amp I went to order replacement parts and some of them more then doubled. Right now I am not making money maybe breaking even Not counting my time. Have to try cheaper parts and see what it sounds like. Also want to build a different lower cost experimental amp and send it to my buddy for evaluation. Maybe even go SS rectification.Or use the PY500 rectifier I used in the 300B amp. Can be gotten for $1.00 This amp will use 12SN7 driver and TV horizontal output tubes for outputs more low cost tubes. $2.50 and a lower cost industrial control transformer. These tubes can handle 500ma cathode current so the amp should have more drive and lower impedance output. Will see how it sounds soon.

Understood Glenn...the horse must eat!

I am very interested in what innovations you determine sounds best for the money. I find this more exciting even than the boutique parts.
I have a single gain stage amp using low cost 6CL6 pentodes, which I think were also TV tubes. Punches way above it's cost.
Please keep us informed...and you can always PM if you need another guinea pig. 

Only the simplest can accomodate the most complex.
- Junji Kimura of 47 Labs...whose designs are simple, but not inexpensive.... 

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #8,497 of 39,994
  Understood Glenn...the horse must eat!

I am very interested in what innovations you determine sounds best for the money. I find this more exciting even than the boutique parts.
I have a single gain stage amp using low cost 6CL6 pentodes, which I think were also TV tubes. Punches way above it's cost.
Please keep us informed...and you can always PM if you need another guinea pig. 

Only the simplest can accomodate the most complex.
- Junji Kimura of 47 Labs...whose designs are simple, but not inexpensive.... 

I make plenty of money to feed the horse.

The thing is I have to make some money doing this. If I an not making money why am I doing this.
I don't use boutique parts in thee amps I did in David's and Tyrell's.
I believe in the KISS principle. Keep it simple stupid and I found out that less is more the fewer parts the better it sounds.
And yes the 6CL6 was a vertical output tube in black and white TVs and they sound good.
If I can use a low cost TV tube in place of the noisy 6AS7 and it sounds good we are better off
Ok on that guinea pig thing. It is costly to send it to my friend as he lives in Greece but that don't matter he is my official guinea pig.

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #8,498 of 39,994
  I make plenty of money to feed the horse.

Ok on that guinea pig thing. It is costly to send it to my friend as he lives in Greece but that don't matter he is my official guinea pig.

Glenn, I hope I didn't offend in anyway. The horse comment was supposed to mean "it has to be worth your time". 
I know you do this as a hobby and for friends and definitely not for the money. 
I was just saying that I think designing great sounding components from undervalued parts is rewarding for both the designer and the end user and, to me, special...cheers!

As for your Greek friend. I consider him more of a sweet lamb than a guinea pig. His input is obviously more than worth the postage!

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #8,499 of 39,994
Here's a desk worth showcasing amps (or not). I'd line them amps up and work my way listening to each and every one of them from left to right. Or from right to left. Or every which way!

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #8,501 of 39,994
  Here's a desk worth showcasing amps (or not). I'd line them amps up and work my way listening to each and every one of them from left to right. Or from right to left. Or every which way!

Is that long enough for ALL your amps or just your headphone amps? 
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #8,502 of 39,994
  I'm digging the art on the wall too.

Yes. I noticed that too. Want.

Is that long enough for ALL your amps or just your headphone amps? 
biggrin.gif

Just the headphone amps will fit side by side, barely, as Ultra will attest. His collection of HP amps rivals mine. I have 2 GlennAmps and so will he!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back