2359glenn | studio
Dec 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #6,991 of 39,985

WOWZA!
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #6,993 of 39,985
  Chic! A great disco LP from the past. Love the cover.

I've never been able to find a great recording of Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The opening notes sound so distorted and overly saturated. SO, do you think it was originally recorded this way? It sounds like his trumpet is too close to the mike. I have 3 versions and they all sound like that. It is, however, one of my favorite LPs.

Happy downloading and listening. I just downloaded this CD: http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue/product.aspx?pid=1960980

It is incredible on my WA22 with RCA 6AS7, CBS 6SN7, and Amperex 5AR4

Ooh, new music! 
normal_smile .gif
 Will check out Miss Tasmin later this evening (post football
rolleyes.gif
). I'm trying to cut snack purchases next week to afford a new CD: Camille Thomas et Béatrice Berrut
5400439007123.jpg

​

"Kind Of Blue" - Unfortunately, the distortion appears to be original, whatever happened during that session. As I understand from reading the liner notes of Bill Evans (an excerpt below), there were no practices. While I find that aforementioned passage troubling with each listen, that the group bravely lived in the moment and went for it, leaves me with strong admiration.

"Miles conceived these settings only hours before the recording dates and arrived with sketches which indicated to the group what was to be played. Therefore, you will hear something close to pure spontaneity in these performances. The group had never played these pieces prior to the recordings and I think without exception the first complete performance of each was a "take."
                                                               - Bill Evans

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #6,994 of 39,985
I don't think that is distortion. I think Miles just missed the note.

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #6,995 of 39,985
Ooh, new music! 
normal_smile%20.gif
 Will check out Miss Tasmin later this evening (post football
rolleyes.gif
). I'm trying to cut snack purchases next week to afford a new CD: Camille Thomas et Béatrice Berrut

SO. Here's The Lark Ascending.wav for your post football enjoyment.

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #6,996 of 39,985
Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif

SO. Here's The Lark Ascending.wav for your post football enjoyment.

smiley_thumb.gif
 A resounding "Thanks" from around the way... down I-5! Since my team already lost 
mad.gif
 (Oakland Raiders), I may even slide the KEFs into position and watch the game with no volume while music fills the air. 
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #6,998 of 39,985
Here's to a very happy Sunday afternoon with Miles, music, and Champagne.

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #7,001 of 39,985
Continuous music holds nothing to an empty bottle! Enjoy!

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #7,002 of 39,985
Merry Christmas from Linn:
http://www.linn.co.uk/christmas

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #7,005 of 39,985
Actually that particular seller has been trying to get that sort of price for RCA 6AS7G's literally for years.  I wonder if he ever actually does...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back