[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
May 2, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #3,482 of 7,442
  I dont know what is going on with Aliexpress now, but when I ordered the original Monk last year, I got it within 7 days.  I dont know why VE changed the shipping method.

Shipping method is same through Aliexpress shipping, even thou i am in India, i got Monk+ in less than 15 days :)

May 2, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #3,486 of 7,442
The original Monk I got in Feb impressed me so much in the last few months, I ordered the Zen 2.0 with an early bird deal yesterday. Can't wait!

May 2, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #3,488 of 7,442
what kind of early bird deal??

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Venture-Electronic-VE-Zen-high-impedance-320-ohms-earbud/32302987270.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.261.icyCG5

It's mentioned in the listing itself,

So all in all
you are getting the Zen 2.0 + carrying Case + Monk Expansion Pack + Monk Plus x2 + Monk (32ohms)
re.

May 2, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #3,490 of 7,442
Got my Monk+ 2 days ago from local seller in my country. After I let it burn in for around 24hours, I gave it a go at some of my favorites tracks.

Here is my short feedback:

First thing I notice and like is that the vocal is more forward than the previous monk. The vocal has some bits of sibilance, which for me is fine, because it make it sound a bit more natural. The bass in the Monk+ reminds me of the bass in the oldest Monk (the one with Red VE markings), which is round, full and has good impact, not boomy by all means. The high of Monk+ is where I think is the downside. The high sector is indeed an improvement from the previous monk imo. It sounds more subtle, but in some tracks it sounded a bit rolled off. Last but not least, I love the fact that it is a bit heavier to drive this Monk+ than the previous monk, making it less sensitive and more black background.

All in all, Monk+ is definitely the upgrade of Monk that you've all been waiting for.

To be honest, although Monk+ have nice sound quality, it is by no means a real giant killer, because it still has some flaws that limits them to such extend. 
However, with the build quality, the pricing and the sound quality, it is definitely a no-brainer that people should get it.

Yes, the housing is a normal generic shell that's been used in many other earbuds and it is only 5usd, but that doesn't mean it is cheap in sound and build quality.

For me, VE has set the bar quite high for the earbuds market right now. Simple products options (not too many like most brands), simple packaging, good pricing, and all of it comes back to where it all matter, the sound.

I'm sorry for my bad english. I'm by no means a professional reviewer, but I'll try my best to give unbiased and neutral review :)

I hope this helps for people who are still deciding whether or not to buy the Monk+

My personal advice will be : Get it now, it is only 5usd, it won't hurt even if you buy it just to relieve your curiosity. Though I'm quite sure that only very little of you will be disappointed with the sound quality.

May 2, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #3,492 of 7,442
  Mate, it's a month here now still no sign of the unit. Waiting for shipment from China is frustrating. 

Mine shipped to the US via Singapore Post 04/16. Singapore Post received it 04/22. It's in the US on Friday 04/29. Customs may have it. USPS says it's not in their system.
All normal. But trackable.

May 2, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #3,493 of 7,442
the organic mids of the monk
tongue_smile.gif

May 2, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #3,494 of 7,442
Got my Monk+ 2 days ago from local seller in my country. After I let it burn in for around 24hours, I gave it a go at some of my favorites tracks.

Here is my short feedback:

First thing I notice and like is that the vocal is more forward than the previous monk. The vocal has some bits of sibilance, which for me is fine, because it make it sound a bit more natural. The bass in the Monk+ reminds me of the bass in the oldest Monk (the one with Red VE markings), which is round, full and has good impact, not boomy by all means. The high of Monk+ is where I think is the downside. The high sector is indeed an improvement from the previous monk imo. It sounds more subtle, but in some tracks it sounded a bit rolled off. Last but not least, I love the fact that it is a bit heavier to drive this Monk+ than the previous monk, making it less sensitive and more black background.

All in all, Monk+ is definitely the upgrade of Monk that you've all been waiting for.

To be honest, although Monk+ have nice sound quality, it is by no means a real giant killer, because it still has some flaws that limits them to such extend. 
However, with the build quality, the pricing and the sound quality, it is definitely a no-brainer that people should get it.

Yes, the housing is a normal generic shell that's been used in many other earbuds and it is only 5usd, but that doesn't mean it is cheap in sound and build quality.

For me, VE has set the bar quite high for the earbuds market right now. Simple products options (not too many like most brands), simple packaging, good pricing, and all of it comes back to where it all matter, the sound.

I'm sorry for my bad english. I'm by no means a professional reviewer, but I'll try my best to give unbiased and neutral review :)

I hope this helps for people who are still deciding whether or not to buy the Monk+

My personal advice will be : Get it now, it is only 5usd, it won't hurt even if you buy it just to relieve your curiosity. Though I'm quite sure that only very little of you will be disappointed with the sound quality.

Thanks for your early impressions. I don't find the highs rolled off on the Monk+ compared to the previous Monk. On the contrary I think it is more refined and extended now. You'll need to burn your Monk+ for 50 hours at least to reveal its full potential and a more powerful source since the new Monk+ is 64ohm.

May 2, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #3,495 of 7,442
Whoa, Monk + and HD650 arrived together. Now what? I only have 2 ears!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back