2021+ Macbook Pro 14's DAC sounds remarkably good
Sep 5, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #31 of 54
I own MB Air M2 and I can say DAC is fine, but the amp has limits. Driving 16 ohm Sash Tres results in very detailed sound, certainly loud enough, but thin (anemic). Plug it to real amp and hear the difference!

This is not a complain, just observation.
Yes, I think this is quite clear with this statement from Apple:

"When you connect headphones with an impedance of less than 150 ohms, the headphone jack provides up to 1.25 volts RMS. For headphones with an impedance of 150 to 1k ohms, the headphone jack delivers 3 volts RMS. This may remove the need for an external headphone amplifier."

A 16 ohm HP gets not enough "juice", nothing to complain about.

Matt

Sep 14, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #32 of 54
Does the M1pro from 2021 and M2pro from 2023 have diff headphone outputs?
When I'm using an Andromeda IEM with the 2021 14" I can hear hissing noise and it's quiet on my 2023 16".
I thought they were supposed to be the same dac/amp hardware.
Loving all my IEMs on the MBP 16.

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #33 of 54
I got my first Mac few days ago (MacBook Pro 14"). My desktop PC has a Sound Blaster AE-9 connected to JBL LSR305 monitors and a JBL LSR310S subwoofer. What would I need to do to connect the JBLs to the Mac? Will I need a USB DAC or can the headphone out somehow work just as well?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #35 of 54
I'm sure most of you know this already, so forgive me for stating the obvious. I guess this post is directed at newbies. Of critical importance is setting the Audio Midi Setup application properly for your circumstances. The Mac will only output Hi-Rez if it is set to do so! It is best to match the output (sample rate/bit depth) to that of your source material if possible. I'm limited to a 96 KHz sampling rate in my case with bit depth up to 32 bits per sample. Anything above 96 KHz will be down sampled to 96 KHz, but a high bit depth can be maintained.

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #36 of 54
I'm sure most of you know this already, so forgive me for stating the obvious. I guess this post is directed at newbies. Of critical importance is setting the Audio Midi Setup application properly for your circumstances. The Mac will only output Hi-Rez if it is set to do so! It is best to match the output (sample rate/bit depth) to that of your source material if possible. I'm limited to a 96 KHz sampling rate in my case with bit depth up to 32 bits per sample. Anything above 96 KHz will be down sampled to 96 KHz, but a high bit depth can be maintained.
Apparently you no longer have to match the bit/sampling rate if you use Tidal as it changes automatically from 16/44.1 to 24/192.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #41 of 54
Yes, I posted this last year about my 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro. This sucker even handles the Sennheiser HD800S without breaking sweat. This just proof "audiophiles" waste all their money on headphone amplifiers as it is not needed.
Not all of us own or are interested in MacBooks. What amplifiers does the MacBook Pro outperform specifically? What if the MacBook does not outperform a specific amplifier?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #42 of 54
Not all of us own or are interested in MacBooks. What amplifiers does the MacBook Pro outperform specifically? What if the MacBook does not outperform a specific amplifier?
Strange thread to follow /s. I have had several MB from the first M1 MBA through to the latest M3 Max MBP and M3 MBA. Gotta say the M3 MBA blows all my audiophile type amps away right across my entire IEM and headphone collection. Chord, Naim, SPL, McIntosh, Woo, Sony, DACs, amps, server, the whole kit and caboodle. Why? Best sounding computer output I have experienced and it goes anywhere I dare take my listening devices. The amps/DACs are too darned big, heavy, and needy. A MB could be likened to a phone camera that you have with you beating out the best "real" camera that sits at home. 😮 I should flog my lenses and bodies for some more audio gear...

I would never admit to doing this, but my spouse has accused me of plugging into a MB while sitting at my desk in front of several highish end headphone setups. Hypothetically, In my defence, it is convenient, a Uniti Core Server is the source, and it scratches the itch for a quick fix. The current Apple Silicon MB models will be keeping some people out of the amp/DAC end of our hobby.

M3M MBP.jpg

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #44 of 54
I am looking forward to buy a M3 MBA. Would you say the HP output of the M3 MBA is even better than that of the M3 MBP?
Thx
Only if you need the jack on the right instead of the left! I don't think I could tell a difference in a blind test. I do believe both the M3 and M3 Max I own sound better than the M1 Pro MBP I had. MBA vs MBP might best be decided by need for ports, xdr display, cooling, and budget. I would be curious as to if the amount of memory affects the audio processing and output. My machines have all been 16GB, or more, so base 8GB is a question I avoided getting experience with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back