2021+ Macbook Pro 14's DAC sounds remarkably good
Mar 20, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #16 of 54
I am lazy - but seeing this post had to chime in to help. I have a 2023 M2 MBP. The DAC is superb. I have an R2R NOS Metrum DAC and the MBP blows that out of the water. I really wasn't expecting that - but when I plugged in my Sennheiser headphone - I was shocked. It's capable of playing Hi-Res and effortlessly drives the headphones. My new favorite.

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #17 of 54
I am lazy - but seeing this post had to chime in to help. I have a 2023 M2 MBP. The DAC is superb. I have an R2R NOS Metrum DAC and the MBP blows that out of the water. I really wasn't expecting that - but when I plugged in my Sennheiser headphone - I was shocked. It's capable of playing Hi-Res and effortlessly drives the headphones. My new favorite.
pretty high praise.....but happy to hear.

I had played around on my MBP (2021 14") with USB-C out to an outboard DAC, and concluded that plug (1/8" stereo) and play was the way to go. Apple's consolation prize to us for removing the headphone jacks from phones and iPads

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #18 of 54
I can only confirm. Really enjoying the headphone output of MBP (2021 16") with Empire Ears Legend Evo and prefer that synergy over Zen Dac v2.
The sound is not colored and very crisp which matches perfectly with the warm Evo.
Now I just need that kind of synergy on the go....any idea what bluetooth dac/amp could give me that?
Topping G5 maybe?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #20 of 54
M1 MBP 14" + Dragonfly Red + Sennheiser HD595
The DR has a much higher max volume than the Mac; I max out on the Mac but stop at ~70% with DR.
DR gets a bit wider soundstage and more clarity on background instruments especially when going louder than the Mac.

I'm a bit surprised op found the Mac to be a bit better!

The difference is not worth increasing bulk when traveling; hell I even listen on the Mac speakers when it doesn't disturb others. But at home I leave the DR plugged into my dock, easier than needing to plug the HD595 into the Mac every time.

Jul 5, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #21 of 54
The very first 2020 M1 didn't get the high powered headphone amp, only 2021+, if yours doesn't seem very loud check the year. I got a 2020 M1 Macbook Air for $500, sadly no audiophile grade headphone jack for me.

Jul 5, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #22 of 54
I bought my M1 MBP 14" ~Nov black friday 2022, so a year after it came out in 2021 and within 6mo of the M2 MBP release. (really wanted to wait but couldn't at the time). LMK if there's a way to check amp details but I got it just a few mo before the date of the OP.

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #23 of 54
From Macrumors:

"The recent ifixit teardown of the Macbook Pro 2021 revealed the internal DAC to be the ‘Cirrus Logic CS42L84A-CWZ Audio Codec’ and also ‘Texas Instruments SN012776B0 Audio Amplifiers’, to power the internal speakers and maybe the headphone jack also."

Matt

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #30 of 54
I own MB Air M2 and I can say DAC is fine, but the amp has limits. Driving 16 ohm Sash Tres results in very detailed sound, certainly loud enough, but thin (anemic). Plug it to real amp and hear the difference!

This is not a complain, just observation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back