2021+ Macbook Pro 14's DAC sounds remarkably good
Mar 20, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #46 of 54
IIUC, you are saying that not only the HP amp of the M3 MBs is very good but the DAC too.
Can you recommend some USB DACs which are clearly superior to the DACs inside the M3 MBs?
Thx
These are my main two... MOJO 1 & 2 plus a Poly for storage and versatility.
The 2 has a much better feature set than the original.

Mojo 1 and 2.jpg

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #47 of 54
Strange thread to follow /s. I have had several MB from the first M1 MBA through to the latest M3 Max MBP and M3 MBA. Gotta say the M3 MBA blows all my audiophile type amps away right across my entire IEM and headphone collection. Chord, Naim, SPL, McIntosh, Woo, Sony, DACs, amps, server, the whole kit and caboodle. Why? Best sounding computer output I have experienced and it goes anywhere I dare take my listening devices. The amps/DACs are too darned big, heavy, and needy. A MB could be likened to a phone camera that you have with you beating out the best "real" camera that sits at home. 😮 I should flog my lenses and bodies for some more audio gear...

I would never admit to doing this, but my spouse has accused me of plugging into a MB while sitting at my desk in front of several highish end headphone setups. Hypothetically, In my defence, it is convenient, a Uniti Core Server is the source, and it scratches the itch for a quick fix. The current Apple Silicon MB models will be keeping some people out of the amp/DAC end of our hobby.

M3M MBP.jpg
Suggest you get a turntable.

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #48 of 54
I'm not a huge stickler for mobile sound quality as I'm usually listening in loud environments such as coffee shops anyhow. BUT, the output via the 3.5mm jack on a 2021+ Macbook Pro 14" sounds REALLY good.

Typically, I listen to streamed music from PC or Mac laptops via an Audioquest Dragonfly Red. I know there are definitely better sounding portable DACs around, but the Dragonfly Red has a punchy and reasonably refined sound that I've found to better the built-in DACs in most laptops. I was listening via my 14" MBP / Dragonfly Red DAC in a coffee shop when it occurred to me to plug my cheap and cheerful Sennheiser HD 400S directly into the Macbook's 3.5mm headphone jack. Immediately and quite surprisingly, the sound seemed more expansive, yet also more refined in tone. First thing I did was to turn down the volume when using the 3.5mm jack because I thought louder volume via the 3.5mm jack could be a key factor in it seeming to sound better than via the Dragonfly Red. I switched back and forth several times between Dragonfly Red and the 3.5mm jack and my impressions stayed consistent.

I got home and did the same listening comparison between the Dragonfly Red and MBP's 3.5mm jack with Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones. I thought that perhaps slightly better headphones might reveal some advantage of the Dragonfly Red DAC over the 3.5mm output from the Macbook Pro. Nope, same result. the 3.5mm output from the MBP still sounded better. The sound output from the 3.5mm jack sounds both more expansive and also more refined than via the AQ Dragonfly Red DAC. I guess there's no point in wasting my energy carrying around my Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC and USB-C dongle anymore. :dt880smile:

Anyone else have experience with the built-in DACs in recent model Macbook Pros?

Anyone know if the newer Macbook Air laptops with M1 and M2 processors have a similar DAC to the Macbook Pro 14 & 16?
If so, that would be a huge selling point for me to get a Mac laptop over a comparably priced PC Ultrabook.

Thanks!
AQ dongles sound bad, so that’s not saying much. I have MBP 16 m1 and m2 and they sound worse than the 20yr old dac I have laying around.

Mar 21, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #51 of 54
Any dongle you would recommend?
Thanks!
None. I either compromise and use APP or headphone out directly when I travel or I am home and have access to standalone headphone systems.

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #54 of 54
AQ dongles sound bad, so that’s not saying much. I have MBP 16 m1 and m2 and they sound worse than the 20yr old dac I have laying around.
Problem is we are all cursed with having to live with our own ears and whatever life has done to them 😪 so results vary.
APP beat Beats...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back