2016 CanJam @ RMAF, October 7-9, 2016: The Exhibitor List!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #256 of 259
Is it an electrostatic setup ? Are the Amp & headphone sold together as 1 set-up ? Booth made by Sonoma ? Can the Amp drive a Stax SR009 ?

It's only being sold as a combo unit according to their rep. Don't know if it's compatible with other electrostatic headphones. I believe the amp/dac was DSP tuned specifically for their headphone. If anyone was wondering the amp dac will not function as a preamp as it has no outputs.

https://sonomaacoustics.com/

I was speaking to the reps at the Sonoma booth for a good 1.5 hours. Since I come from a STAX background and I'm familiar with Sonoma's workstations, we had a lot of common ground to start off on.

It's sold as a unit:
* Sabre DAC 32/384 standard ESS DAC stuff
* AKM ADC
* DSP
* Proprietary plug output (kinda looks like a BNC connector-ish)
* $5000 USD
* Tuning is done to match their speaker system

If I had to say what STAX headphone it sounded like, it was most like the SR-007, but again it doesn't sound like a STAX.

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #257 of 259
  tyll from innerfidelity also has some interesting observations from the show.

I happened to be at the 64 Audio booth when he was there doing an interview and checking them out. I was listening to their new flagships, and they're suh-weet.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #258 of 259
Had an absolute blast this weekend at RMAF! So many great people to catch up with and finally meet so many friends I've made over the years in person. Jude is simply "the man". Plus added bonus, I got to meet The Admiral, David Robinson. I was 20 years old when the greatest sports team of all time was assembled. Regardless of being a Canadian, that 1992 Team USA Dream Team holds a very special place for me and meeting the starting centre and 1/2 of the "Twin Towers" of the Spurs was just the cherry on top of my weekend (well that and the Jays sweeping the Rangers 
tongue.gif
).

I'll be posting an update of my coverage over the next few days on Headphone.Guru (we had full coverage of RMAF), but quickly some of the new products that really impressed me were:

Audeze iSines...wow...amazing. These things sounded like full sized headphones. Really looking forward to reviewing them soon.
The new Noble Katanas were sublime!
The new Empire Ears Zeus blew my mind!
Cayin Audio i5 - for $500 a steal!
MrSpeakers Ether C Flow - great new closed headphones you won't have to sacrifice SQ for isolation.
The Wells Audio Head Trip...wowza! I finally got to enjoy the Abyss with this amplifier. Says a lot for me.
The Shangri-La was very impressive indeed! But sadly way, way out of my price range. But I bet right in David Robinson's wheel house. 
wink.gif

Thanks Jude and Joe for all your hard work! All that running around on Thursday night really paid off for a great Can Jam! The only downside was getting used to the altitude; my first time in the Mile High City.

Counting down the days for next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back