2012 Headphone Meet @ LAX Hilton - Saturday, August 18, 2012 - OFFICIAL THREAD
Aug 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #331 of 483
Quote:
I think a fee is fine. 

Yeah totally, the LAX Hilton ain't free.  Plus, from what I understand, purrin's generously paying significantly more than $20 himself. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #332 of 483
Quote:
Jude is aware of the fee. Per HF rules, fees are OK to cover the cost of pay-for-use facilities. The strong probability of the fee was posted on day one on the first post. As LFF stated, these events are not cheap in LA. It should also be noted that the 2011 NorCal meet charged a fee, of which the overages were used to offset the costs of the 2012 NorCal meet, which did not require an attendance fee.

I think I should clarify my position & background a little, so no one here gets the wrong idea.

First, I meant primarily to question if Jude was aware of the fee, as fee-based meets are the exception on Head-Fi, not the norm, and in the past those have had to be cleared by Jude (and it wasn't already apparent). In addition, I've always personally been of the mindset that meet costs should be covered voluntarily, not as a requirement for attendance. IMO, charging an admissions fee has the potential to alienate Head-Fiers who might otherwise attend but can't afford to.

Second, I'm not averse to paying an admission fee myself - it's not like I was trying to skate by on $0.50.
tongue.gif
I'm more than capable of paying the nominal $20 and would probably give more, in fact.

Third, I'm well aware of how much it costs to organize a meet, as I've organized a few myself - 1 in NorCal (San Jose) and 3 in Colorado. So I actually have a pretty good idea of what your meet costs are, and I'm not exactly talking from inexperience here.
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #334 of 483
Quote:
I'm not exactly talking from inexperience here.
wink.gif

Since this is going to be my first meet, I am speaking from a total lack of experience.

But like you, I am also not averse to paying an admission fee.  So it appears that both the total pro and the total noob agree that a meet is well worth the admission fee. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #335 of 483
Hmmm.... this may be a bit late to ask, but does anyone plan on bringing a matrix m-stage? I was hoping they would turn up so that I could try them out with my Q701's :p

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #337 of 483
Quote:
Hmmm.... this may be a bit late to ask, but does anyone plan on bringing a matrix m-stage? I was hoping they would turn up so that I could try them out with my Q701's :p

You could always ask Jeffrey Tam if you could borrow one and bring it to the meet on his behalf. I've already got a couple of other guys doing this for other pieces of gear here and there.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #339 of 483
I got ya on my list. n3rdling will update the public list here in a few days

I'll be sure to plan the next meet in Havana. I hear that a lot of things are free in Cuba. Just gotta find Fidel's number on my rolodex.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #340 of 483
Just adding a couple headphones to what I'm already bringing. I'll have the V-moda m80 and ATH-M50s as well.

Also, my gear will be up for sale if anyone is interested. Trying to appropriate funds for an upgrade.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #341 of 483
I can't afford to go right now. I'm runnin' on a slim budget at the moment. I only swap out gear by selling other gear. Sorry...

Kojaku

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #345 of 483
Bummed. Just found out that the BHA-1 that I ordered on 7/18 won't ship until 8/31. So unless someone has one they'd like to loan me for the meet, the BHA-1 vs. P-200 shootout is off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back