2008 College Football Thread!
Dec 31, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #631 of 756
That was some performance by the Ducks QB Masoli. I have never seen a QB flat out knock defenders over like that. He was LOOKING for contact like a FB when he ran the ball. Color me impressed.

So far, the Big 12 looks like it deserves it's reputation for having less than stellar defenses - but it's early. Let's see how Texas fares with tOSU , TTU with Ole Miss, and Okla with Fla. Then we will know.

My biggest concern is that the 476 yards Northwestern put up on Mizzou may be the most any Big Ten team gets in any bowl game...

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #632 of 756
^ Yep, my box was full of "Big 12 can't play D" notes this morning.
redface.gif
The wolves are out! I'm going to continue to hold the conference flag like the homer i am.

Go Jayhawks!
beerchug.gif

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This reminds me, FSU has a date in Norman in 2010. That is a must take road trip for me obviously, so we'll have to tailgate together.

Heck to the yes, man. You're more than welcome with my crew.We love the foreigners. It should be a great series.

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Man of Genius
If they do I think the Pac 10 has a good shot at going 5-0.

The Pac is in great position to win the cup. Congrats to the conference thus far, which took a-lot of cheap shots earlier in the season. I like USC and OrSU in both their games. 5-0 would be awesome.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #634 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was some performance by the Ducks QB Masoli. I have never seen a QB flat out knock defenders over like that. He was LOOKING for contact like a FB when he ran the ball. Color me impressed.

So far, the Big 12 looks like it deserves it's reputation for having less than stellar defenses - but it's early. Let's see how Texas fares with tOSU , TTU with Ole Miss, and Okla with Fla. Then we will know.

I'll agree that Oklahoma State has a mediocre defense, but if their best receiver doesn't get injured early Oregon would easily be crying their way back home. The game turned on a dime when he got hurt. Now I do think the team should be able to overcome things like that, but you could tell instantly that OSU was a new team without him.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #635 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Man of Genius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the Pac 10 deserved some smack for being OWNED this season by Mountain West but ya, 5-0 would be cool.

Despite the fact that USC made my Buckeyes look pretty bad earlier in the season, I can't help but root for them a little bit to beat Penn St. senseless.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #636 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if their best receiver doesn't get injured early.

The word also is that Zach Robinson played the second half with a separated shoulder. Say what you want about the Pokes, but I wouldn't question their toughness.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #637 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Despite the fact that USC made my Buckeyes look pretty bad earlier in the season, I can't help but root for them a little bit to beat Penn St. senseless.

Funny how that works....
I am a Beaver fan but I like to see other Pac 10 teams win against other conferences.
I like to see the Ducks win unless they are playing my Beavers.
The other Oregon State fans at work are not that way: they absolutely HATE the Ducks and want them to lose every game they play. Sometimes I think that they would be happy if their plane crashed.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #638 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What, to finally prove the sentiment that the Big Ten is worthless? That won't change the national perception of OSU either - they'll just be the worthless representative of a worthless conference who repeatedly chokes in big games. If you're a fan of ANY Big Ten team, you're a PSU fan this week or you're legally dumb.

Jan 1, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #639 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The word also is that Zach Robinson played the second half with a separated shoulder. Say what you want about the Pokes, but I wouldn't question their toughness.

Wow, I didn't even know about that. He even rushed some in the 2nd half...
eek.gif

I'm a Sooner fan first and foremost, but I'm also a state of Oklahoma fan in games that don't affect my Sooners. Oregon slipped away with a game they shouldn't have won, but oh well.

Jan 1, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #641 of 756
That 3-0 game set college football back 50 years.

Jigglybootch, I am disappointed in you. In the bowl season you have to pull for the Big Ten team no matter what! Heck, I even root for Illinois in bowl games!

Big Ten needs every win it can get after another bad loss today by the Gophers.

ACC had a really bad day too...

Jan 1, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #642 of 756
Yep, you have to root for the conference this time of year. A strong whole makes for a strong individual.

To play devil's advocate however, it isn't as important for the football powers. Take say Michigan. The Wolverines go undefeated and they're in the big show, now matter how the Big Ten is perceived . Utah on the other hand.. In my experience, middle of the pack BCS and mid-major schools fly the conference flag more than the top tier.

In many situations, it can be prohibitive. I can think of few reasons for the Sooners or Longhorns to ever root for each other, since they bang heads recruiting so often. Thusly, I wasn't too heart broken that Okie State lost.

--

It's New Year's day, which means it's a big day for the Big Ten.

Jan 1, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #643 of 756
Quote:

Yep, you have to root for the conference this time of year. A strong whole makes for a strong individual.

To play devil's advocate however, it isn't as important for the football powers. Take say Michigan. The Wolverines go undefeated and they're in the big show, now matter how the Big Ten is perceived . Utah on the other hand.. In my experience, middle of the pack BCS and mid-major schools fly the conference flag more than the top tier.

Hmmmm...that may be indeed be true, but if it is, it's sad. Fans of Texas and Ohio State should still always root for their respective conferences. What good does it do for an Ohio State fan to see PSU and MSU lose today, and then have to endure all the "Big Ten is weak" talk next year? And it can actually hurt tOSU - IMO they were lucky to get into a BCS bowl this year given the perception that the Big Ten is weak this year. Next year they might noy be so lucky.

Quote:

It's New Year's day, which means it's a big day for the Big Ten.

OH YEAH. Really anything less than 3-0 today, however unlikely, and there will be no salvaging this bowl season for us. We need Iowa to do what everyone believes they will in beating the Gamecocks, and we need MSU and PSU to pull the upsets to show our top teams can compete.

So far only Northwestern has shown anything even remotely positive for the Big ten, and we still lost. We need 3 wins today.

Jan 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #644 of 756
Quote:

Jigglybootch, I am disappointed in you. In the bowl season you have to pull for the Big Ten team no matter what! Heck, I even root for Illinois in bowl games!

If Michigan were playing Hitler in the national championship game, I would be pulling for Hitler.

Jan 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #645 of 756
Quote:

We need 3 wins today.

bigsmile_face.gif
Heh, you know you're a homer if not only your school, but the conference schools get the "We"'s! Well good luck then. I'll be rooting for the Midwest teams today because I love to see USC and the SEC lose. It happens so rarely!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back