$200 to $350: iem or headphone?
Dec 20, 2020 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ShangriLa

Head-Fier
Coming from mostly speaker listening, I just started exploring headphone/iem and wonder around $200-350, which would give better sound quality.

From what I researched, On the headphone side, there’s HD6xx at 200 and Sundara at 350. Iem has moondrop blessing 2/dusk at 320. And probably some good ones at 200. So which offers more sound quality, iem or headphone?

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 12
Coming from mostly speaker listening, I just started exploring headphone/iem and wonder around $200-350, which would give better sound quality.

From what I researched, On the headphone side, there’s HD6xx at 200 and Sundara at 350. Iem has moondrop blessing 2/dusk at 320. And probably some good ones at 200. So which offers more sound quality, iem or headphone?
Excellent research. You want to consider the HD600 and original Blessing 2. It depends on which sound signature you prefer.

It also depends on your listening environment and whether or not you have small ears because the Blessing 2 and Dusk are large IEMs and you need to know if having monitors in your ears for extended periods of time are for you. The HD6XX are very comfortable and you can wear them for extended periods of time.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 12
Excellent research. You want to consider the HD600 and original Blessing 2. It depends on which sound signature you prefer.

It also depends on your listening environment and whether or not you have small ears because the Blessing 2 and Dusk are large IEMs and you need to know if having monitors in your ears for extended periods of time are for you. The HD6XX are very comfortable and you can wear them for extended periods of time.

Thanks. To be more specific, I wonder at $200, does best headphone give you more sound quality or iem? And what about $359 range?

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 12

Headphones and IEMs are very different kettle of fish, kind of comparing apples to oranges. They bring different pros and cons to the table.

In general, headphones have better soundstage than IEMs. IEMs are more for their portability and perhaps isolation and generally are weaker in soundstage. Even within headphones, you have closed backed and open backed ones which are also quite different in sound (in terms of isolation and perhaps subbass extension/quantity).

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks. To be more specific, I wonder at $200, does best headphone give you more sound quality or iem? And what about $359 range?
It depends on what you mean by sound quality. My son just purchased a Blessing 2 Dusk. I'll let you know my opinion between the HD6XX and the Blessing 2 Dusk. I am petty sure I will tell you that it depends on what you prioritize and what music types you listen to.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 12
Headphones and IEMs are very different kettle of fish, kind of comparing apples to oranges. They bring different pros and cons to the table.

In general, headphones have better soundstage than IEMs. IEMs are more for their portability and perhaps isolation and generally are weaker in soundstage. Even within headphones, you have closed backed and open backed ones which are also quite different in sound (in terms of isolation and perhaps subbass extension/quantity).

I dont mind soundstage/isolation too much. What's important is to me is sound fidelity, tight bass/sweet mid/non-fatiguing high, that sort of things.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 12
It depends on what you mean by sound quality. My son just purchased a Blessing 2 Dusk. I'll let you know my opinion between the HD6XX and the Blessing 2 Dusk. I am petty sure I will tell you that it depends on what you prioritize and what music types you listen to.

I'd be very interested. From what I've read, HD6xx should be to my liking. In fact, I've placed an order. It will just take a while to deliver. In the meantime, I wonder at that price point (or higher), whether IEM would be able to compete or outperform headphone. Of course different models will have different sound signatures, but what I'm interested in is when the IEM and headphone have similar sound signature and price and each is consider high in performance/price value in their own category, which can deliver better sound.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 12
I dont mind soundstage/isolation too much. What's important is to me is sound fidelity, tight bass/sweet mid/non-fatiguing high, that sort of things.

U can read about the LZ A7. It is a midfi IEM sometimes sub $300 when on sales. It has 10 tuning configurations, can be anything from V shaped to U shaped to neutral, so extremely versatile. It has excellent technicalities, great timbre for a hybrid (though maybe not as natural in the very high treble frequencies handled by the piezo drivers as DD sets), good fit, good isolation, rather good soundstage for an IEM. Most people should find an optimal sound signature with the various tuning options.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 12
U can read about the LZ A7. It is a midfi IEM sometimes sub $300 when on sales. It has 10 tuning configurations, can be anything from V shaped to U shaped to neutral, so extremely versatile. It has excellent technicalities, great timbre for a hybrid (though maybe not as natural in the very high treble frequencies handled by the piezo drivers as DD sets), good fit, good isolation, rather good soundstage for an IEM. Most people should find an optimal sound signature with the various tuning options.

So how does it compare to the similarly priced Hifiman Sundara? Since this LZ A7 's sound can be tuned, let's say we make it sound the same as/very similar to the Sundara (assuming that's the type of sound I like, so that takes preference out of the way and the only thing we are comparing is IEM vs headphone with same sound signature same price) - which one sounds better?

I hope that makes it more clear as to what answer I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 12
So how does it compare to the similarly priced Hifiman Sundara? Since this LZ A7 's sound can be tuned, let's say we make it sound the same as/very similar to the Sundara (assuming that's the type of sound I like, so that takes preference out of the way and the only thing we are comparing is IEM vs headphone with same sound signature same price) - which one sounds better?

I hope that makes it more clear as to what answer I'm looking for.

Sorry I haven't listened to the Sundara, but as I said previously, most headphones will beat IEMs in soundstage (in general). Headphones can't really be compared to IEMs head to head IMHO.

At the end of the day, for midfi gear such as this, i would recommend u go down and audition it yourself, or at least buy from somewhere like Amazon where u can return it if it doesn't suit you. Quite a risk to blind buy midfi gear, as we all have different preferences and as usual, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back