200 or less neutral desktop amp
May 25, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #31 of 37
i am a very good soldering that not a prblam its just i need to make a new encloser and a get a circut bored, it would be fun to do but i just dont think i will be ablt to do it.....

May 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #32 of 37
i am a very good soldering that not a prblam its just i need to make a new encloser and a get a circut bored, it would be fun to do but i just dont think i will be ablt to do it.....

You can just buy the O2 populated board from JDS Labs and get the bigger enclosure as recommended on NwAvGuy blog site. [=http://canada.newark.com/box-enclosures/b3-080bk/enclosure-instrument-aluminum-black/dp/26K9037][/]

This way you can have RCA jacks and full size TRS connector.
Here's one I build with Darren[=http://www.head-fi.org/t/610119/canada-home-system-o2-amplifer#post_8391054][/]

May 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:
Considering.....

If you already have the soldering iron and the tools to do it, its pretty easy it seems to me. The instructions are all delineated on his site as well as considerations. It is open source as well so you can later make it into a desktop DAC/Amp if you want by getting the ODac and adding it and replacing the back.

Seems like a solid idea to me, and way under your price range. Everything is coming out to around $50 for me including shipping. I'm debating just buying the enclosure and the wall adapter to make things easy on me... which should come to about $90 for everything including shipping. The shipping is what kills me though... I'm going to see if I can't work something out to make that less painful... Either way, its still going to be a cheaper and better portable amp than I could possibly buy for under $100

May 25, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #35 of 37
Another vote here for the O2. I have used it with the ortho HE-500s and the ATH W3000ANV. Both work really well on the O2. No hiss, plenty of power, and neutral across the board. A lot of amp for the money for sure.

May 31, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #37 of 37
Not much can go wrong if you have the PCB. Got a voltmeter and a soldering iron, felt like a pro :D but slowly I realized the challenge and perfected my technique slowly.
The only mistake I made was to put the battery terminals in reverse polarity. Getting them off was a bitch, with the amount of solder used to put them in place. But this was my first diy soldering, previously I've worked with breadboards. I doubt I'll repeat the same mistakes again. Future DIY should be much easier.
And not to mention, the joy when you attach the voltmeter to test, and everything is working as planned! The best feeling of a work well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back