1964 Ears
Feb 12, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #1,291 of 7,417
Hi guys! Currently debating on whether or not to make a foray into the customs market. Can only afford the Triples, and anyway I want a neutral sound which apparently the Quads lacks. Anyone can make a comparison of the extension, quality and quantity of the bass/highs of the 1964-Ts to the DBA02s, CK10s or the e-Q7? Have pm-ed around but a few more opinions wouldn't hurt. :) I'm trying to make this purchase my final one on earphones (goodluck to me with that) so if anyone wants to compare it to higher-end or even similarly-priced customs go ahead please :)

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #1,292 of 7,417
Seven business days and counting. This is killing me. Damn you Amazon and your two day delivery!! I have absolutely no patience any longer. To kill time I ordered and amp and an LOD cable and have found myself looking at DAPs last night. This has to end soon or my kids college found will disappear.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #1,293 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like mine are finished, just got to wait for delivery :)

Sorry man, I think those are mine. They called me on Monday asking about my artwork and then gave me a tracking number last night. The ice blue triple fi's on their facebook page are mine too. =)

Their lead time for my order was about 2.5 - 3 weeks. They received my impressions and order form and TF10s on 1/18 and they just shipped it out yesterday. I think its safe to say they're swamped with orders.

I thought they looked a bit light colour wise! I went for a darker red and darker purple - looks like I'll carry on waiting  :)

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #1,294 of 7,417

Quote:

Really good macro photography. 
smile.gif
  I think you talked me into it.  I like the TF10 sound and it seems like a crap shoot how they will come out.  And I don't have fit problems with them.  But these look GORGEOUS- especially in blue.  I might try to get mine darker to sort of mimic the TF10 itself, although it's really cool to see the detail inside.  I have a 'few' sets so when I do mine I'll try to report back with a back to back comparo.  This looks like fun!

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #1,295 of 7,417

After following this thread and talking with 1964 about my sound preferences I am still on the fence about the Triple or Quad.  I finally decided to go with the Westone 4 and now I fully understand why ericp10 abandoned his SM3’s for a quad as I am doing the same.  The Westone 4’s are fantastic but I still can’t help but wonder how they compare to the 1964 Triple or Quad.  In an attempt to save my wallet and hopefully some others, I was wondering if anyone who owns either in the Los Angeles area would like to meet up to try my W4’s and then post impressions.  If interested PM me.   

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #1,296 of 7,417
Originally I was not planning to write a review but I have since changed my mind. It is in the works and will be edited, completed and pictures will be taken and expect something in the next day or two.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #1,297 of 7,417

Quote:
Originally I was not planning to write a review but I have since changed my mind. It is in the works and will be edited, completed and pictures will be taken and expect something in the next day or two.

Nice.  Should prove quite helpful.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #1,298 of 7,417
That is exactly my dilemma here, W4 or Quads...
confused.gif

Totally hoping someone in Los Angeles would offer to make that comparison and help enlighten me before I place an order with 1964, partially out of impulse and their free shipping promotion which would end really soon...
popcorn.gif

Quote:

After following this thread and talking with 1964 about my sound preferences I am still on the fence about the Triple or Quad.  I finally decided to go with the Westone 4 and now I fully understand why ericp10 abandoned his SM3’s for a quad as I am doing the same.  The Westone 4’s are fantastic but I still can’t help but wonder how they compare to the 1964 Triple or Quad.  In an attempt to save my wallet and hopefully some others, I was wondering if anyone who owns either in the Los Angeles area would like to meet up to try my W4’s and then post impressions.  If interested PM me.   

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #1,299 of 7,417

Quote:
That is exactly my dilemma here, W4 or Quads...
confused.gif

Totally hoping someone in Los Angeles would offer to make that comparison and help enlighten me before I place an order with 1964, partially out of impulse and their free shipping promotion which would end really soon...
popcorn.gif

Quote:

something with removable cables, my main concern with the westone 4's, even if the cabling never breaks, in a year or two, the cable does harden and become brittle naturally. happened to my westone 3's, when i received the replacement unit, I realized my old phones cabling had become brittle and with a slight memory causing excessive microphonics. anywho, from most people's impressions, lower/mid range customs seem to beat out most top tier universal IEM's in almost everyway

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #1,300 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:

For those interested it has been posted. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/539610/review-1964-ears-1964-t#post_7275888

It's not as long as my previous ones as I wanted to make it shorter and more to the point.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #1,301 of 7,417
I can't think of one universal I have owned or heard that can beat the overall sound of my custom quad. Maybe there is one out there, but I haven't heard it.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #1,302 of 7,417
I noticed from your posts (and sig) that you hold the FX700s in very high regard. do the quads really blow these out of the water? I'm almost set on those, but for $400 at MA, am i doing myself a disservice not getting the (better) quads for $100 more? my mind changes constantly, I think I need a certain pair NOW, when in fact after I wait a few days, my wants and needs completely change :)

Quote:
I can't think of one universal I have owned or heard that can beat the overall sound of my custom quad. Maybe there is one out there, but I haven't heard it.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #1,303 of 7,417
Well @ Uncle00Jesse, I sold my FX700 and SM3 (all of my top tiers actually except the SM2), and it wasn't because I needed the money or didn't like them anymore.. So yes, in my opinion the quads blow them out of the water overall (the FX700 still had a somewhat better timbre than the quad, however, but that was it).

Quote:
I noticed from your posts (and sig) that you hold the FX700s in very high regard. do the quads really blow these out of the water? I'm almost set on those, but for $400 at MA, am i doing myself a disservice not getting the (better) quads for $100 more? my mind changes constantly, I think I need a certain pair NOW, when in fact after I wait a few days, my wants and needs completely change :)

Quote:

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #1,304 of 7,417
thanks man. maybe you can answer this also... theres many times while i'm using my custom 3's or some of my full sizers, when theres a part in the song, be it drums/snares/electric guitar where if i turn the volume up these parts sound amazing and this is what i crave. but on the negative, this increase in volume makes the highs unbearable and when the music gets crowded, sounds get jumbled together into a shrill mess. All I am craving is to have those snaps of the drum sticks or the riff of a guitar be prominant and powerful, without me having to turn up the volume and sacrificing everything else. Is what I am trying to explain what you call "Timbre"? If it is, maybe the FX700s would be the best choice.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #1,305 of 7,417
thanks rawrster! you have been added to the tree root, or so to speak
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For those interested it has been posted. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/539610/review-1964-ears-1964-t#post_7275888

It's not as long as my previous ones as I wanted to make it shorter and more to the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back