1964 Ears
Feb 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,201 of 7,417
I'm not sure what it is that defines soundstage in a custom. I suspect it is many things, including:

-How little variation there is between each driver (from a frequency response standpoint)
-How smoothly the transitions are handled at the crossover point
-3-way versus 2-way crossover (I don't know why, but in my experience 3-way is better)
-Proper angles/lengths of the sound tubes
-Excellent high frequency extension

I'm sure there is much more to it, but those are some general "rules" that I've noticed.

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #1,202 of 7,417
I'm seriously considering the Quads!

I live in the UK and the free international shipping of the Quads is brilliant for me. In addition to the initial saving I would also save on customs and VAT (sales tax) charges.  The Quad would actually be cheaper here than the JH Audio JH5PRO.

I've managed to listen to a demo set of JH5PROs.  Can anyone tell me how the sound quality of the Quad compares?

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #1,203 of 7,417
Hi everyone, After a day of serious contemplation (and reading on the net) brought on by a pm from a head-fi friend I have decided to go for the jh16 pro instead of the 1964 ears quad. While they are certainly more expensive I hope that this will be the final step on the road for me, otherwise I would probbably always have wonderred about the differences and I am a one iem at a time kind of person. So I will still go for ear impressions coming tuesday the final product iwll just go to a different usa address. Thanks to all for the great help you have given me in the past week or so. Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #1,205 of 7,417

Quote:
is the cable of 1964-Q good? and does anyone knows whether the lune cable from null audio fits 1964-Q? I really like the lune on my TF10 as compared to the stock, it has tighter bass and clearer sound. thanks!

it's about the same as any stock braided cable from any of the more mainstream IEM manufacturers. minus the branding of course, the lune cable should be compatible with the quads assuming you don't request a recessed socket for $50 extra

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #1,206 of 7,417

Quote:
is the cable of 1964-Q good? and does anyone knows whether the lune cable from null audio fits 1964-Q? I really like the lune on my TF10 as compared to the stock, it has tighter bass and clearer sound. thanks!

if i'm not misunderstanding , lune is developed for tf10 which have difference socket compared to any custom iem.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #1,207 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:

it's about the same as any stock braided cable from any of the more mainstream IEM manufacturers. minus the branding of course, the lune cable should be compatible with the quads assuming you don't request a recessed socket for $50 extra

The cable that 1964ears use is es2 cable right ? Would the connectors fit because the lune cable is meant for TF10. I remember something about filing the connectors if es2 cables are used for the tf10s. Not sure if it is the same the other way round. 

I have a lune cable too. It would be great if i could use it for my quads which are not here yet ):

But i'll try and see how it goes none the less when my quads arrived.

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #1,208 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The cable that 1964ears use is es2 cable right ? Would the connectors fit because the lune cable is meant for TF10. I remember something about filing the connectors if es2 cables are used for the tf10s. Not sure if it is the same the other way round. 

I have a lune cable too. It would be great if i could use it for my quads which are not here yet ):

But i'll try and see how it goes none the less when my quads arrived.

hmmmm.. I just sold my Tf10 and lune altogether. I'm thinking of getting another lune cable for my coming 1964q. the lune is good but i'm just worried that the pins will enlarge the hole of my 1964 and it's irreversible..

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #1,210 of 7,417
Getting my impressions done this week.. Decided im gonna jump into some Customs and seeing as the Quad is such a good price. I know its a big difference but i have seriously been tossing up between the Quads or a Desktop setup.. LCD-2 and Amp/DAC... I tend to listen alot more in my bed or on the move. So hopefully i made the right choice, also save myself a fair bit of money.

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #1,211 of 7,417

Its interesting that no one has mentioned Fidelity customs. Are they pretty much the same as the trips rawster mentioned (same company different name?) or were they redesigned? The fidelity customs are barely more expensive. It would be awesome to hear a comparison.

actually the UE 1 pro customs are 4 speakers and slightly less than the quads, if anyone has heard them? http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/1-pro#description

However, my last experience with UE was dissapointing so I wouldn't consider. (the studio3's)

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #1,212 of 7,417

Quote:

Its interesting that no one has mentioned Fidelity customs. Are they pretty much the same as the trips rawster mentioned (same company different name?) or were they redesigned? The fidelity customs are barely more expensive. It would be awesome to hear a comparison.

actually the UE 1 pro customs are 4 speakers and slightly less than the quads, if anyone has heard them? http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/1-pro#description

However, my last experience with UE was dissapointing so I wouldn't consider. (the studio3's)

Fidelity Customs are actually LiveWires. It's just the different name but the brand is the same.

UE1 FYI is only one earpiece IEM only. It has two channels (left right) in only one earphone. Stage use only.

UE super.fi 3 need some nice warm source like old irivers (H340/ihp120) or Meizu M6. They are quite good earphones after all.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #1,213 of 7,417
Okay screw this whole SM3 um3x and Westone 4 crap, Quads it is, i'll be making my impressions sometime this week or next week and send them offf to 1964 hopefully by the end of next week and have them to me before I leave on holiday in march! for $500 and AUD being so strong, I don't think there's a better time not to mention I hear the Quads are little bass heavy :D just the way I like it

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #1,214 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:

Fidelity Customs are actually LiveWires. It's just the different name but the brand is the same.

UE1 FYI is only one earpiece IEM only. It has two channels (left right) in only one earphone. Stage use only.

UE super.fi 3 need some nice warm source like old irivers (H340/ihp120) or Meizu M6. They are quite good earphones after all.

Thanks for the clarification! A single earpiece? lol, that explains the price. If you like the superfi 3's, you can have mine for $30! I am not impressed.

PS I am buying the quads with my tax return.
biggrin.gif
Anybody get impressions in portland, or? That can recommend an audiologist? Thanks!

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #1,215 of 7,417
LiveWires and Fidelity are seperate companies. There's a long story behind it, but in summary: LiveWires founder John Diles (audiologist) used to work with Earl Neal (monitor engineer for some touring musicians) back when there was just a single dual driver LiveWires model. Earl Neal was either a co-founder/designer at LiveWires or simply a distributor depending on which version you believe. They had a disagreement and Neal formed his own seperate outfit called Fidelity.

As far as I know the dual driver models from each company are identical, or used to be (they could have changed the design at some point). Each company then developed their own seperate models. LiveWires has the "Trips" triple driver model which Rawster and I both own. Fidelity has 2 different triple driver models (a 2-way and a 3-way) as well as a new quad driver model which claims to have a 4-way crossover. I've read a few mixed opinions about their 3-way triple, and nobody seems to have posted anything about their other models.

History lesson over, back to 1964 Ears discussion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back