1964 EARS V6 Thread
Nov 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #226 of 931
Can you be a little more specific on why you like the sound of the Quad better than the sound of the V6?
Quote:
I got my pair today. I haven't had enough time to listen to it but my first impressions are good. YET I do slightly feel that my Quads are a bit more suited to my liking. I'll report more on that later. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #227 of 931
Quote:
Can you be a little more specific on why you like the sound of the Quad better than the sound of the V6?

Sure. 

I did some extensive listening sessions with both of the Quads and the V6. 

I've lived with the Quads for almost a year and a half and I've gotten accustomed to its sound signature so much that the changes that the V6 have brought to the table were a bit unexpected (even though Vitality said that they have a more neutral sound signature). 

Quads definitely have "more" bass in terms of quantity but they are not as controlled and well defined as the bass on V6. When I first put the V6 in, the first thing I noticed was the highs. Having two dedicated drivers as opposed to one does make a difference. So the Quads, I think, more laid back and warmish compared to the V6. If one is listening to a lot of drum or bass oriented music I think the Quads may be a bit better choice as the cymbals may slightly get a bit fatiguing after a long listening session. 

All that being said, I think the V6 are technically superior. They have more clarity from top to the bottom and a slightly larger soundstage than the Quads. If one is looking for a LCD-2 type of sound signature, I don't think the V6 would fulfill that desire fully. One thing that I heard a bit more articulated and forward more are the mids. If I were to make a comparison it would be the Quads (Grado RS-1i mids) vs. the V6 (HD800 mids). The mids on the V6 are certainly not recessed, just not as pronounced as the Quads. With the V6, there's an interesting and impressive balance between all three frequencies. 

None of this should be taken to mean that the V6 are overly analytical and kind of K701 type of customs. I do not regret my decision for upgrading the least and still have my Quads up for sale on the sales forum. In closing, I must say that most of these impressions that will appear here will be based on one's source as well. If I were to listen to the V6 out of my iPod Classic's headphone out, I wouldn't have been this happy. Though technically they don't require amping I think it makes a noticeable difference to feed these with good signal. So my rig is in my signature and that itself makes probably half the difference in my impressions. 

Last note, the V6 came with the stock cable and my first comparison with the Quads was with the BTG Sunrise Cabled Quads and the stock cabled V6. So I was like : What the heck? 
And then I swapped the cables and used the Sunrise cable with the V6 and for the first time I can honestly say that cable does make a difference. The anemic bass is gone and the instrument separation vastly improved. So my next comparisons were done with the same cable. I hope this won't start another cable fight here but I'd highly suggest investing in a good aftermarket cable whether you're getting the V6 or the Quads or whatever. 

I still need to get used to this new sound signature that the V6 are presenting me so I'll say more if I hear anything else that is worth sharing. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #228 of 931
Quote:
Sure. 

I did some extensive listening sessions with both of the Quads and the V6. 

I've lived with the Quads for almost a year and a half and I've gotten accustomed to its sound signature so much that the changes that the V6 have brought to the table were a bit unexpected (even though Vitality said that they have a more neutral sound signature). 

Quads definitely have "more" bass in terms of quantity but they are not as controlled and well defined as the bass on V6. When I first put the V6 in, the first thing I noticed was the highs. Having two dedicated drivers as opposed to one does make a difference. So the Quads, I think, more laid back and warmish compared to the V6. If one is listening to a lot of drum or bass oriented music I think the Quads may be a bit better choice as the cymbals may slightly get a bit fatiguing after a long listening session. 

All that being said, I think the V6 are technically superior. They have more clarity from top to the bottom and a slightly larger soundstage than the Quads. If one is looking for a LCD-2 type of sound signature, I don't think the V6 would fulfill that desire fully. One thing that I heard a bit more articulated and forward more are the mids. If I were to make a comparison it would be the Quads (Grado RS-1i mids) vs. the V6 (HD800 mids). The mids on the V6 are certainly not recessed, just not as pronounced as the Quads. With the V6, there's an interesting and impressive balance between all three frequencies. 

None of this should be taken to mean that the V6 are overly analytical and kind of K701 type of customs. I do not regret my decision for upgrading the least and still have my Quads up for sale on the sales forum. In closing, I must say that most of these impressions that will appear here will be based on one's source as well. If I were to listen to the V6 out of my iPod Classic's headphone out, I wouldn't have been this happy. Though technically they don't require amping I think it makes a noticeable difference to feed these with good signal. So my rig is in my signature and that itself makes probably half the difference in my impressions. 

Last note, the V6 came with the stock cable and my first comparison with the Quads was with the BTG Sunrise Cabled Quads and the stock cabled V6. So I was like : What the heck? 
And then I swapped the cables and used the Sunrise cable with the V6 and for the first time I can honestly say that cable does make a difference. The anemic bass is gone and the instrument separation vastly improved. So my next comparisons were done with the same cable. I hope this won't start another cable fight here but I'd highly suggest investing in a good aftermarket cable whether you're getting the V6 or the Quads or whatever. 

I still need to get used to this new sound signature that the V6 are presenting me so I'll say more if I hear anything else that is worth sharing. 

Yuceka those were great first impressions, and makes me even more excited to receive my V6 in a couple of weeks or so. I'm one who can appreciate different sound signatures, so base on your impressions I think I will be quite satisfied even if does sound vastly different than the Quad. Thanks again for your first impressions. Happy listening.

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #229 of 931
On the sunrise cables, what's the difference between these options?: Oyaide Straight Gold 3.5mm(+$30.00)
Viablue 3.5mm Mini (+$25.00)
Oyaide RA Rhodium 3.5mm(+$30.00)

Sorry I'm a nub~

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #230 of 931
Quote:
On the sunrise cables, what's the difference between these options?: Oyaide Straight Gold 3.5mm(+$30.00)
Viablue 3.5mm Mini (+$25.00)
Oyaide RA Rhodium 3.5mm(+$30.00)

Sorry I'm a nub~

Those are the jacks that will go into your source. You can just google their names and see what they look like. RA stands for right angled as opposed to straight jack. I always prefer right angled cables. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #234 of 931
Quote:
Why the difference in price then? Just difficulty to implement or something?

Can you ask the question about the cable in private or on the Sunrise thread, please? This thread is about the V6. Thank you.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #236 of 931
Quote:
Excellent point.

That being said, who wants to talk about elephants?

Excuse me sir, I believe you mean pachyderms.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #237 of 931
I am going through my music library right now and one thing I am constantly noticing is that the V6 are extremely revealing of poor recordings. If your library consists of Mp3s below 320kbps, then you might want to do something about that before getting the V6. 

I am listening to Joshua Redman's albums (which are very well recorded) 16/44.1 khz (it's not even hi-res) and what I am hearing is absolutely delightful. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #238 of 931
Yuceka ,i own a pair of HD650,and although you don't have any of this model in your rig signature,i would ask how it compares with your new V6 ,i know there is not much comparison to do between them as they are different products,but i just have a superficial idea whether to choose the V3 or maybe wait a little more to save up some money and buy the V6 ,thank you.Those two new models from 1964 Ears seem really nice.

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #239 of 931
Quote:
Yuceka ,i own a pair of HD650,and although you don't have any of this model in your rig signature,i would ask how it compares with your new V6 ,i know there is not much comparison to do between them as they are different products,but i just have a superficial idea whether to choose the V3 or maybe wait a little more to save up some money and buy the V6 ,thank you.Those two new models from 1964 Ears seem really nice.

HD650 and the V6 are nothing alike. I have not heard the V3 but I can say that a comparison between these phones would be more accurate: 

V6: HD600
Quads: HD650 

Even then I think 1964 Ears sound signature is quite different than the Senns. People may disagree but HD650 were too boring for me whereas neither the Quads nor the V6 would be in a "dark sounding" category. They're quite lively and upfront. Also don't expect the soundstage of Senns to be found in these customs. It's not completely absent but not as good as full size open cans. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back