1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 10, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #8,611 of 9,124
I didnt find ADEL soundstage massive though. It's slightly bigger than my old JH13fp but nothing significant or amazing IMO.

The U12 has a pretty awesome soundstage for an IEM.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #8,612 of 9,124
It's very big.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #8,614 of 9,124
Yes. That too.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #8,615 of 9,124
The U12 has a pretty awesome soundstage for an IEM.

​Layla has noticeably much wider soundstage compared to U/A12, but that made it sound funny with studio recordings. And the mids is quite recessed/veiled.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #8,616 of 9,124
​Layla has noticeably much wider soundstage compared to U/A12, but that made it sound funny with studio recordings. And the mids is quite recessed/veiled.

Layla is one of the very, very best in terms of soundstage. The U12 may not be that large, but it beats most of the TOTLs out there. There are only a handful that can be called bigger.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #8,617 of 9,124
Layla is one of the very, very best in terms of soundstage. The U12 may not be that large, but it beats most of the TOTLs out there. There are only a handful that can be called bigger.

​Well that is probably the only characteristic about the Layla which I like (with some reservation) lol
The fitting and sound signature for me is a big no no :p

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #8,618 of 9,124
What the ADEL does is makes the soundstage appear open but doesn't necessarily make it wide. Soundstage on the U10/U12 is pretty wide and with the ADEL module, it sounds slightly open. But the stage dimensions itself is not as wide as the Layla.

If I have to put it in a visual form, imagine an instrument to the right of you, placed at a certain distance. If the U10/U12 places the instrument at 4 feet distance from you, Layla places it 5 feet from you. Because of the ADEL on the U10/U12, there is no wall beyond that instrument and the sound travels through freely behind the instrument giving the open feeling. On the Layla though, there is no open space beyond the instrument for the sound to travel through.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #8,619 of 9,124
What the ADEL does is makes the soundstage appear open but doesn't necessarily make it wide. Soundstage on the U10/U12 is pretty wide and with the ADEL module, it sounds slightly open. But the stage dimensions itself is not as wide as the Layla.

If I have to put it in a visual form, imagine an instrument to the right of you, placed at a certain distance. If the U10/U12 places the instrument at 4 feet distance from you, Layla places it 5 feet from you. Because of the ADEL on the U10/U12, there is no wall beyond that instrument and the sound travels through freely behind the instrument giving the open feeling. On the Layla though, there is no open space beyond the instrument for the sound to travel through.

U12 - Relaxing on a beach
Layla - Relaxing in a large auditorium. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #8,620 of 9,124
I think I was the oddity that didn't like the Layla. I had it about 30 days. Many issues and for me to get a seal that I could appreciate the sound was very difficult. I refer to them as my Frankenstein bolts. Comfort and seal was the major problem and for the money, the hassle I had with them was too much.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #8,621 of 9,124
I think I was the oddity that didn't like the Layla. I had it about 30 days. Many issues and for me to get a seal that I could appreciate the sound was very difficult. I refer to them as my Frankenstein bolts. Comfort and seal was the major problem and for the money, the hassle I had with them was too much.

Oh no you're not. I know many people who didn't like Layla at all.
With a number of them describing them sounding like socks/tissues stuffed into the speakers...

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #8,622 of 9,124
Edit; Sennheiser IE800 didnt have the horrible iem problem (it somehow balanced the pressure) which was very good but i didnt like the sound signature.

Vacuum seal pressure issue in many IEM is absent here with either ADEL and APEX. You will do just fine with any of them. :)

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #8,623 of 9,124
Vacuum seal pressure issue in many IEM is absent here with either ADEL and APEX. You will do just fine with any of them.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got a lot to add with regard to ADEL vs Apex and that'll be later today.  I want to add pics to my first impressions/mini-review and the camera on this iPhone 5 is garbage, my S7 edge will be in from repair today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back