1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 8, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #8,596 of 9,124
Wouldn't you say that the A12 is performing at its peak with high end DAPs like DX200?
:confused_face: :confused_face: :confused_face: :confused_face: :confused_face: :confused_face: :confused_face: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

TBH, that is a both a fair and good question. Unfortunately I've not heard the A12 with newer DAPs like the DX200. We are having a meet here in Seattle early next month so hopefully there will be some good portable gear to try.

Disclosure: I prefer IEMS over full size cans, but rarely listen on the go as my commute is 5-7 minutes.

Wasn't overly impressed with the original Hugo (especially considering the UI and price), nor the Mojo. The AK 100II didn't strike me as a significant improvement over my (excellent for the price) $150 HRT Microstreamer USB DAC (my travel buddy).

However, over the last 2 years I've inched up the DAC food chain from a Bifrost Uber to Bifrost Multibit (R2R) to the MHDT Paradisea R2R (discontinued) to MHDT's TOTL Pagoda R2R DAC at work and finally the Holo Spring DAC at home. You might consider reading up on the Spring DAC. Thankfully I'm no longer feeling the need to fuss with DACS for a while now. The A12 have continued to sound better and better throughout the journey.

My amp is the reasonably priced Project Ember hybrid tube amp from Garage1217 with a (not so reasonably priced) 1940s Sylvania 6SN7W tube.

I wish someone on this thread lived near Seattle as I would love the feedback on my system from another set or two of Ears.

Lastly, I've also had the opportunity to hear the A12 on an Eddie Current Zana Deux and was pretty much blown away with what I was hearing from the combo.

Long answer to a short question, but I hope it makes sense.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #8,597 of 9,124
I enjoyed my U12 out of Onkyo DP-CMX1, I think they have a great synergy together. :) But yeah, TOTL full size headphone will always sounds better, not even the Tia Fourte can compete with that in my experience. IEM gives me great sounds on the go and I'm happy with that. :)

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #8,598 of 9,124

You won't have any pressure related issues at all.  I can listen to my A12's with the M15 all day every day with no fatigue.  I can't say that for other CIEM's I have had without the ADEL or APEX.  Both systems work equally and well.

How is that you can tell someone else what they will experience - yet state in a later post (correctly) that I don't have your ears.

How about modifying your statement to this:

I don't have any pressure related issues at all.  I can listen to my A12's with the M15 all day every day with no fatigue.  I can't say that for other CIEM's I have had without the ADEL or APEX.  Both systems work equally and well for me.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #8,599 of 9,124
Of course I agree that no IEM can replace a full size headphone or a free standing home system. To me it is easy to have a desktop setup, buy an incredible amp/dac and an awesome full size hp and if having an incredible, best sound ever system, one environment, great you're mission is accomplished. I don't feel it is challenging or the most fun part of this hobby.

To me, the fun part of this hobby is too not be tethered to my desk. It is also the challenging part of this hobby to find high end sound where ever I am. I guess it is kinda dumb but, for example, if I am out on my balcony listening and want to refresh my adult beverage I simply get up and walk with my killer sound setup to make a drink and before returning to a different section in the house I decide to pit stop at the bathroom all the while enjoying the same great sound. I am not removing hp's and returning to be tethered.

I get it, with an awesome desktop rig, you can achieve supreme sound quality that is capable of giving you goose flesh when heard. It is art at it's finest. The ever changing, trading, selling, buying and re-buying of portable is time consuming and expensive, but it is the hobby part of the portable game. I have achieved goose flesh from portable as well. 

Years ago it was free standing speakers and an incredible home system that I was into. I had a pair of Sony hp's but I only used them on a rare occasion. A divorce, giving up a house and apartment living and moving every 2-3 years for the past 12 years and driven me to be the portable guy. 

IEM's are fun, portable headphones can also be fun. I made a personal distinction and definition of what I consider to be "portable". For example, the AKT5p was not so portable but what made them portable is they were designed to be enjoyed with portable AK dap and the pairing was incredible. Obviously, my HD650 not so portable, but I enjoy it for home listening. I will say the HD650 was portable "in home" when I had the Cayin i5 dap because it was capable of driving them without a loss of bass.

Sorry for rambling, but I wasn't aware any of us in these portable focused threads were trying to replace a 3-5k destop setup but only to achieve incredible sound while maintaining mobility.

Troy

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #8,600 of 9,124
I love open back full size headphones because of their airy,spacious and effortless like sound and no pressure on the ears at all.

So my problem is when i switch to iems and the awful vacuum seal, it sounds boomy, fatiguing and congested. Am i right in thinking the APEX solves this problem, or is the Adel better suited for me? i want to try 64 Audio at Canjam London. which would be the cheapest 64 universal with a balanced and smooth sound? This APEX module will be as important as sound signature to me. Thanks for any help.

Edit; Sennheiser IE800 didnt have the horrible iem problem (it somehow balanced the pressure) which was very good but i didnt like the sound signature.

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #8,601 of 9,124
I love open back full size headphones because of their airy,spacious and effortless like sound and no pressure on the ears at all.

So my problem is when i switch to iems and the awful vacuum seal, it sounds boomy, fatiguing and congested. Am i right in thinking the APEX solves this problem, or is the Adel better suited for me? i want to try 64 Audio at Canjam London. which would be the cheapest 64 universal with a balanced and smooth sound? This APEX module will be as important as sound signature to me. Thanks for any help.

http://theheadphonelist.com/what-was-new-is-new-again-a-review-of-the-64audio-apex-modules/

To my ears, the ADEL tech gives a more open-back headphone feel. The APEX feels a little less so. It's sharper, more like closed-back headphones. But this also highlights details better.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #8,604 of 9,124
I didnt find ADEL soundstage massive though. It's slightly bigger than my old JH13fp but nothing significant or amazing IMO.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #8,605 of 9,124
I didnt find ADEL soundstage massive though. It's slightly bigger than my old JH13fp but nothing significant or amazing IMO.

Which IEM do you have?
Higher BA count IEMs like U12 will have a larger soundstage than the low end ones.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #8,607 of 9,124
Apr 10, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #8,608 of 9,124
Which IEM do you have?
Higher BA count IEMs like U12 will have a larger soundstage than the low end ones.

A12 with MAM

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #8,609 of 9,124
Apr 10, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #8,610 of 9,124
Gotta deal with IEM limitation. ADEL can't defy physics. 

Haha never had even the slightest inclination to compare any IEMs soundstage to open back headphones. I especially found it laughable when there were a few who got on the hype train during Layla's release claiming the soundstage is as big if not bigger than flagships open back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back