1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Feb 3, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #7,771 of 9,124
  A few posts ago I was arguing with @Brooko over whether the UEBJ veils the sound. Now I know why that was the case with me. My UEBJ is not purely resistive. Today I got 2 new impedence adapters : 20ohm and 75ohm. The sound out of the 20ohm adapter and UEBJ is siginificantly different. I can't hear the veil out of the adapter but I can hear out of the UEBJ. As a reference, My comfortable volume is set at 55 with the adapter and 70 with the UEBJ. If both were purely 20ohm, they should have required the same power.

Now maybe the UEBJ has an impedence around 50-60ohm which can explain the veiling as then maybe my source does not have enough power to drive them in Normal mode.

With the 75ohm adapter, my source switches to high impedence mode. The UEBJ does not cause this switch so it's definitely below 75 ohm.

Now the next strange thing is if I connect 20 ohm then 75 ohm adapters then U12, the source switches to high impedence mode. However, when I connect UEBJ then 75 ohm adapter then U12, the device stays in normal mode. 

I kindly request @Brooko to comment and perform tests if possible. 
FWIW, my UEBJ could be broken.

Not sure about your results, many variables but UEBJ is indeed 20, this is verified by UE themselves.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #7,772 of 9,124

Not sure about your results, many variables but UEBJ is indeed 20, this is verified by UE themselves.

It can be UEBJ but there I am saying that it is not purely resistive. 
On another note, have you tried a 75ohm adapter with your A12? Takes the A12 into new heights. I have almost lost my keenness to upgrade with this setup

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #7,773 of 9,124
  It can be UEBJ but there I am saying that it is not purely resistive. 
On another note, have you tried a 75ohm adapter with your A12? Takes the A12 into new heights. I have almost lost my keenness to upgrade with this setup

No, but I'm ordering the one you recommend but don't like the design of a stiff piece like that.  Is there another that isn't so stiff? Please state what you guys are using, just saying "this 75 ohm one is great" is of no use to anyone.  I detect a lifting of the veil from UEBJ.

Is there a difference in delivery speed in the airmail vs registered airmail option on pennon audio?

Absurd that a TOTL IEM would need a 75 ohm adapter, not disagreeing with you that it's better, just saying. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #7,774 of 9,124

No, but I'm ordering the one you recommend but don't like the design of a stiff piece like that.  Is there another that isn't so stiff? Please state what you guys are using, just saying "this 75 ohm one is great" is of no use to anyone.  I detect a lifting of the veil from UEBJ.

Is there a difference in delivery speed in the airmail vs registered airmail option on pennon audio?

I actually ordered this 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381662639828?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=650732158814&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

but it took like 4 weeks to come so I wouldn't recommend. I reckon it's the exact same one as Penon Audio. I ordered a 100 ohm and a 175ohm from Penon Audio, let's see how long it takes.

For source I am using an LG G5 with B&O DAC. I liked it more than XDP-300R(think DP-X1) with the adapter.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #7,775 of 9,124
Don´t you like the UE Buffer Jack?

http://pro.ultimateears.com/adjustable-ambient-filters-236

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #7,776 of 9,124
  I actually ordered this 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381662639828?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=650732158814&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

but it took like 4 weeks to come so I wouldn't recommend. I reckon it's the exact same one as Penon Audio. I ordered a 100 ohm and a 175ohm from Penon Audio, let's see how long it takes.

For source I am using an LG G5 with B&O DAC. I liked it more than XDP-300R(think DP-X1) with the adapter.

Screw ebay, I'll never do business with them. You think I should order 75 or go higher?

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #7,777 of 9,124

I do, but he's saying he's getting better results (a less veiled sound with more upper mids and highs) from a higher impedance adapter.

My source will be chord mojo.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #7,778 of 9,124

Screw ebay, I'll never do business with them. You think I should order 75 or go higher?

I liked 75ohm the best. I tried 75+20ohm -> too much treble, 20 ohm -> too less treble. 75ohm was the perfect balance for me. I'mma see if 100 ohm or 175 ohm would be good but I highly doubt it. YMMV 

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #7,779 of 9,124

I do, but he's saying he's getting better results (a less veiled sound with more upper mids and highs) from a higher impedance adapter.

My source will be chord mojo.

75ohm adapter completely blows UEBJ away. They are not even close. Just make sure your source has enough power, I think Mojo should be good.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #7,780 of 9,124

75ohm adapter completely blows UEBJ away. They are not even close. Just make sure your source has enough power, I think Mojo should be good.

Mojo has more then enough power to explode any iem with likely any adapter.  Do you know of any adapters that aren't straight shafts and are more along the shop of the UEBJ which is far superior ergonomically.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #7,781 of 9,124

Mojo has more then enough power to explode any iem with likely any adapter.  Do you know of any adapters that aren't straight shafts and are more along the shop of the UEBJ which is far superior ergonomically.

I would get a 3-4inch 3.5mm single ended to single ended adapter. to better the ergonomics.
PS: Sorry but A12 sounds bad with Mojo :p

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #7,782 of 9,124
  I would get a 3-4inch 3.5mm single ended to single ended adapter. to better the ergonomics.
PS: Sorry but A12 sounds bad with Mojo :p

In all fairness, they sound better on X1, but it's really splitting hairs. Mojo w/75ohm adaptor is extremely close, if not within 0.5% of the same sound. The Mojo does not sound 'bad' by any means but it may not be ideal.

The U12 needs serious help on the treble side of things, so anything you can do to push that frequency forward helps the overall sound signature. Spinfits + 20-75ohms, or a bright DAP, etc. It all accomplishes the same end result to my ears, imho. 

You do have to be careful of trying to change the signature too much with outside sources, as most of the resistant materials (ie, not using an EQ like a normie) will greatly reduce bass attack and slam. 

One of my favorite combos is a slight EQ lift in the upper mids and a tiny bit in the treble with the Mojo. 

Edit: I also only stream music and am not a purist in any means, but I want to keep my audio hobby impressions as honest as possible.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #7,783 of 9,124

In all fairness, they sound better on X1, but it's really splitting hairs. Mojo w/75ohm adaptor is extremely close, if not within 0.5% of the same sound. The Mojo does not sound 'bad' by any means but it may not be ideal.

The U12 needs serious help on the treble side of things, so anything you can do to push that frequency forward helps the overall sound signature. Spinfits + 20-75ohms, or a bright DAP, etc. It all accomplishes the same end result to my ears, imho. 

I haven't tried the adapter with the Mojo so I'll take your word for it. Even I am using Spinfits. I found that it's a better combo than Spiral Dots. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #7,784 of 9,124
  I haven't tried the adapter with the Mojo so I'll take your word for it. Even I am using Spinfits. I found that it's a better combo than Spiral Dots. 

All very personal for sure. Spinfits are great but my ears are too big for their L. Sound wise, Spinfits are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back