1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Feb 2, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #7,756 of 9,124
  so I tested again, and the mam modules are with the knob in, not out. And with this, I hear a small background noise, but not when pushing my CIEM in the ears, as if there were a seal problem, but I don't have this issue with default module (S1 if I remember well)

Yes, with MAM module in you will hear background noise because it is still open.  Closed MAM means the knob is all the way out.  New users often get this mixed up.  Granted you can still hear outside noise with the MAM closed but it's louder with the MAM open.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #7,757 of 9,124
Yea the only modern music I listen to is metal, pop makes me want to tear my CIEMs out.  All my vinyl rips sound quieter overall with less dynamics and "oomph"  than my 16/44 flac rips.

Yes. Vinyl can't, by virtue of it's design, have the same range as CD. Sadly, modern mastering compresses the music so much that it rarely takes advantage of that range. It's louder. Yes. But not as dynamic.

Luckily, there's still plenty of good masters out there, utilizing more traditional techniques. Joe Bonamassa: An Acoustic Evening in Vienna could never sound as good on vinyl as it does on CD. It's mastered so well, and takes full advantage of the medium.

My favorite thing to do is buy a used like-new CD on eBay, of the original release, and rip that. I have all best albums by The Rollings Stones in original CD.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #7,758 of 9,124
Yes. Vinyl can't, by virtue of it's design, have the same range as CD. Sadly, modern mastering compresses the music so much that it rarely takes advantage of that range. It's louder. Yes. But not as dynamic.

Luckily, there's still plenty of good masters out there, utilizing more traditional techniques. Joe Bonamassa: An Acoustic Evening in Vienna could never sound as good on vinyl as it does on CD. It's mastered so well, and takes full advantage of the medium.

My favorite thing to do is buy a used like-new CD on eBay, of the original release, and rip that. I have all best albums by The Rollings Stones in original CD.

Will check out Bonamassa. thx

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #7,759 of 9,124
A few posts ago I was arguing with @Brooko over whether the UEBJ veils the sound. Now I know why that was the case with me. My UEBJ is not purely resistive. Today I got 2 new impedence adapters : 20ohm and 75ohm. The sound out of the 20ohm adapter and UEBJ is siginificantly different. I can't hear the veil out of the adapter but I can hear out of the UEBJ. As a reference, My comfortable volume is set at 55 with the adapter and 70 with the UEBJ. If both were purely 20ohm, they should have required the same power.

Now maybe the UEBJ has an impedence around 50-60ohm which can explain the veiling as then maybe my source does not have enough power to drive them in Normal mode.

With the 75ohm adapter, my source switches to high impedence mode. The UEBJ does not cause this switch so it's definitely below 75 ohm.

Now the next strange thing is if I connect 20 ohm then 75 ohm adapters then U12, the source switches to high impedence mode. However, when I connect UEBJ then 75 ohm adapter then U12, the device stays in normal mode. 

I kindly request @Brooko to comment and perform tests if possible. 
FWIW, my UEBJ could be broken.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #7,760 of 9,124
Sound impressions from 75ohm and 95ohm(75+20) impedence adapters:

Pure Bliss. This was the kind of sound I was aiming. I have found my perfect signature. U12 in this setting has everything I could ever ask for.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #7,761 of 9,124
I ordered a 15ohm resister off eBay but they sent a 75 on accident. A happy accident. It sounds great. Pushes and elevates mids and treble a lot at the cost of some bass response. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #7,762 of 9,124
  A few posts ago I was arguing with @Brooko over whether the UEBJ veils the sound.

If you mean our debate 12 days ago - it was about APEX vs ADEL and I don't think that needs to be dredged up again.  I don't think you and I have discussed the UEBJ recently - so if you can point to a specific post it might help.

Now I know why that was the case with me. My UEBJ is not purely resistive. Today I got 2 new impedence adapters : 20ohm and 75ohm. The sound out of the 20ohm adapter and UEBJ is siginificantly different. I can't hear the veil out of the adapter but I can hear out of the UEBJ. As a reference, My comfortable volume is set at 55 with the adapter and 70 with the UEBJ. If both were purely 20ohm, they should have required the same power.

Now maybe the UEBJ has an impedence around 50-60ohm which can explain the veiling as then maybe my source does not have enough power to drive them in Normal mode.

With the 75ohm adapter, my source switches to high impedence mode. The UEBJ does not cause this switch so it's definitely below 75 ohm.

Now the next strange thing is if I connect 20 ohm then 75 ohm adapters then U12, the source switches to high impedence mode. However, when I connect UEBJ then 75 ohm adapter then U12, the device stays in normal mode. 

I kindly request @Brooko to comment and perform tests if possible. 
FWIW, my UEBJ could be broken.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the UEBJ as I don't have one.  My comments on the changes to frequency with use of impedance adaptors (in relation to the U6 and U10) are well documented. And 64Audio have been great in advising how they tuned the IEMs (higher resistance sources), and the changes that can be expected with the likes of the U6, U10 and U12 (adding resistance drops the bass and raises upper mid-range and lower treble).

That is what you'll be observing by using the adaptors :)

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #7,763 of 9,124

Not with the U10, U6 and evidently U12.  All were tuned from higher impedance sources.  So adding impedance actually gets them to where they were supposed to be (ie drops the bass a little, and raises the upper mid-range and lower treble.

The improvement is great.

I agree that there's an improvement in the frequency response but the impedence adapter adds a sort of veil to the overall sound and you lose a load of details(when compared to a silver wire). This happens with the U12 but idk about U10 or U6.

Try volume matching properly 
wink.gif

Seriously - I've measured - the detail is all still there - but I bet you're listening quieter with the impedance adapter.  And I've compared copper and silver - unless there is an impedance mismatch (ie the cable adds or takes away impedance), copper and silver will sound the same.

With all due respect sir, I volume matched them to the best of my ears' capability.
I consulted with reviewer @twister6 after my finding and he confirmed the same. I am using the UE buffer jack, which someone mentioned has an impedence of 100 ohm+(I am not sure), which does veil the sound. The detail loss might be reduced with a 20ohm adapter and I will test that as soon as it gets delivered to me.

Also, I have pretty sensitive ears and I am sure I can hear the difference between Silver and stock OFC. I can confirm because I hear sibilance with OFC which is not present(well to the same extent) with silver. I always try to volume match but at the end of the day, I lose details with the stock OFC. 

And with due respect back - volume matching by ear is not volume matching.  Try making those claims to audio professionals - they'd laugh at you.  Try it in Sound Science for a starter - we have some recording engineers in there (real professionals)  - they'll tell you how inaccurate volume matching "by ear" is.

How accurate is our ear for this sort of thing?  Ask any sound engineer worth his salt if he's ever been playing with a mix, and EQing different bands to get the mix 100% correct.  And then discovered that once he's tweaked it "just right" - suddenly finds the EQ isn't engaged.  The technical term is expectation bias.  You expect to hear it - so your brain tricks you into hearing it.

If you ever want the actual truth - invest in an SPL meter - volume match properly, and you'll likely save a small fortune on audio tweaks.

And Alex and I have an understanding.  He makes no cable claims to me - and that way we get along just fine.  At some stage though - when I get to meet him and his family eventually (we converse often) I'm going to see if he'll allow me to set up a proper DBT.  Until then we avoid the issue.  He hears cable changes - and they are mostly on mullt-BA IEMs with crossovers, where an impedance change will actually change frequency.  If the cable adds impedance - yes he may hear it. But your claim was that doing exactly the same thing (adding impedance) also added "veil". Sorry - but that's impossible.  I've measured.  Doing that to the 64's drops the bass and adds to the upper mids and lower treble. If you're hearing "veil" you're simply not at the same volume.

I know I'm wasting my time with this though - its really hard for some people to accept that what they think they're hearing - is not really there 
wink.gif

Here's the thing - You can measure with instruments all you want but at the end of the day, if you can hear a difference with your ears, that's what really matters. Have a little faith in the human ears. 

I approached cables extremely skeptically. In fact, I was ready to return my Therium if I didn't hear a difference but I did and my findings were exactly in line with some other people who heard the exact same thing. Now before even talking to them, I heard the same thing as they did. I don't think this is a placebo.

Sure, you can test all you want but at the end of the day, it's the music impressions through actual human ears that really matters as this hobby is about listening and not testing with equipment. 

Also, the UE jack is a very cheaply made piece of wire which may cause the sound to change.

And you can believe what you want - after all its your ears, your preference.  But the last thing I'd do though is trust my ears or anyone else's (and definitely not with the inescapable fact of bias or psycho-acoustical trickery)

I just wish everyone on this forum would lay off making claims to other people about the absolute benefits of particular cables (ie claiming it as fact) - unless they'd like to add the disclaimer that such claims are usually completely subjective, only their opinion, and most of the time haven't removed the most basic elements of bias (ie proper volume matching) 
smile.gif

This one.
UEBJ is not purely resistive, at least not mine. Adding resistance does not veils sound, UEBJ does.

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #7,764 of 9,124
Can confirm buffer jack sucks compared to the 75ohm adaptor I got off eBay. I wouldn't call it veiled, as that term is highly subjective, but rather it takes away bass response at the expense of not objectively changing other characteristics enough to warrant the removal of said bass.

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #7,765 of 9,124
Sound impressions from 75ohm and 95ohm(75+20) impedence adapters:

Pure Bliss. This was the kind of sound I was aiming. I have found my perfect signature. U12 in this setting has everything I could ever ask for.

Where do you get the impedance adapter? I was looking at higher quality one and thought UE Buffer Jack fit the bill, glad that I haven't jump at it.

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #7,766 of 9,124
http://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-Male-to-3.5mm-Female-Impedance-Adapter

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #7,767 of 9,124
Feb 2, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #7,768 of 9,124

This one.
UEBJ is not purely resistive, at least not mine. Adding resistance does not veils sound, UEBJ does.

The discussion was where you claimed that the UEBJ veiled the sound compared to a wire change.  I questioned you and provided measurements where it was unlikely the wire would change anything - unless it was adding impedance.  The discussion was on the wire not the UEBJ.  it was also almost 3 weeks ago, not a few posts ago.  if you want to discuss - take to PM - or take to Sound Science.

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #7,769 of 9,124

The discussion was where you claimed that the UEBJ veiled the sound compared to a wire change.  I questioned you and provided measurements where it was unlikely the wire would change anything - unless it was adding impedance.  The discussion was on the wire not the UEBJ.  it was also almost 3 weeks ago, not a few posts ago.  if you want to discuss - take to PM - or take to Sound Science.

No need. I think I would like to leave it at that.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #7,770 of 9,124
I tested again, in closed MAM (knob all the way out); and still a problem of leak. Should I send it back to Asius for a check ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back