1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Oct 7, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #6,887 of 9,124
Got ifi iematch for hiss, as I can hear it with my Zeus.... I don't like the Ifi iematch, it just changes sound, true... The little hiss that was, is no more... But at the drop in slam and overall quality. I don't like thr ifi iematch and will be returning it promptly

It's because it is changing the frequency response (with Adel series 64Audio IEMs) - decreasing the bass and increasing the lower treble - not a lot but definitely audible.  And that is what a lot of us actually wanted, and is the way they were tuned int he first place - out of higher impedance devices.  I'll be getting the iFi adaptor and the UE adaptor.  To my ears (and preferences) the change to frequency response is brilliant.

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #6,888 of 9,124
Out of curiosity does anyone know where you can get these impedance adapters in Hong Kong? UE's one looks a bargain for US$10 but the shipping is $70 :scream: So it doesn't make sense

I got a 100 ohm one from the King Power shop in the New Era building in Mongkok last weekend for 58HK$.

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #6,889 of 9,124
Post edited as I didn't read that post properly. DOH! My bad...

I do wanna know the pricing of the Tia Fourte though....and see if there's some sort of promotion going on for them xD

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #6,890 of 9,124
Got ifi iematch for hiss, as I can hear it with my Zeus.... I don't like the Ifi iematch, it just changes sound, true... The little hiss that was, is no more... But at the drop in slam and overall quality. I don't like thr ifi iematch and will be returning it promptly

You are right, it rolls off Zeus upper frequencies, and takes away the sparkle.  Not the best iE-match for Zeus
wink.gif
 but works great with U12, per Paul's explanation above.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #6,892 of 9,124
To make it a bit more clear on our end, iEMatch has at the max under 3 Ohm output impedance. The respective changes in amplitude with frequency generally pretty much parallel the impedance. 

So with the iEMatch at 1/7th of the output impedance of the above case, the amplitude change with frequency due to this impedance would only be around 1/7th, or less than 0.8dB at the maximum, for this specific example. This should be at the limits of audibility and certainly should not cause large changes in sound quality.

There are some possibilities though. First, the parts used in the matching network are Vishay MELFs. These do appear to show quite a pronounced "burn in" behavior and often cause a bright and forward sound in the first few hours.
It may be advisable to perform a forced burn in using the burn in tracks iFi have made available. 

There is no need to keep the headphones or IEM's connected for that. Simply select "high sensitivity" and with a headphone attached set a level for playback that does not cause the amplifier to distort, play the burn in track(s) on repeat for 48 - 72 Hours and then try to listen again.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 8, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #6,893 of 9,124
  There are some possibilities though. First, the parts used in the matching network are Vishay MELFs. These do appear to show quite a pronounced "burn in" behavior and often cause a bright and forward sound in the first few hours.
It may be advisable to perform a forced burn in using the burn in tracks iFi have made available. 

There is no need to keep the headphones or IEM's connected for that. Simply select "high sensitivity" and with a headphone attached set a level for playback that does not cause the amplifier to distort, play the burn in track(s) on repeat for 48 - 72 Hours and then try to listen again.

And where would these burn in tracks be found? I don't see any links for burn in tracks at the Downloads section, nor at http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-iematch/

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #6,894 of 9,124
  To make it a bit more clear on our end, iEMatch has at the max under 3 Ohm output impedance. The respective changes in amplitude with frequency generally pretty much parallel the impedance. 

So with the iEMatch at 1/7th of the output impedance of the above case, the amplitude change with frequency due to this impedance would only be around 1/7th, or less than 0.8dB at the maximum, for this specific example. This should be at the limits of audibility and certainly should not cause large changes in sound quality.

I'm having trouble imagining how these impedance matching circuits work without doing some simulation in PSpice :D

If I take an SE846 with notoriously low impedance (~ 4 Ohm at it's lowest) and use an impedance matching adapter, what will the effect be? Will the measured Frequency response be as if it was connected to a 3 Ohm output impedance source? Or does the output impedance of the amplifier on the input source still have an influence?

Thanks for the help!

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #6,895 of 9,124

I bear immediate drops in sound quality on various iems, paired with various Daps and dacs, it does kill the hiss, it does that well, but at a heavy cost. Used with *burned in equipment* I reslly wanted it to work, I was very exited, but.... Just csnt sacrifice that much quality to keep it

I hear it's perfect for the 1964 line, which is great

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #6,896 of 9,124

The U18tzar is a hybrid IEM which pairs up a massive collection of 8 low drivers and 8 mid drivers with the incredible top end of the tia™ system, all in a shell that's actually smaller than our U12!  Sound from the tubed drivers combines in a large single bore and blends with amazingly-detailed highs from a proprietary front-vented high driver.  A protective mesh covering at the end of the stem helps to keep out debris while apex™ module technology allows for customizing the sound signature and reduces pressure inside the ear canal for fatigue-free listening.  We drove ourselves crazy to pack this kind of punch into our Universal Series and are thrilled to finally drop this bomb on the in-ear monitor industry.

Driver Configuration: 8 low, 8 mid, 1 hi-mid, 1 tia™ hi

The tzar will be available as a both a universal-fit model (U18tzar) and a custom IEM (A18tzar).  Appearance and specifications will be finalized soon.

We welcome anyone attending CanJam this weekend to stop by and experience these new products and are really looking forward to public reaction!

Please stay tuned as additional information and specifications will be released in the coming weeks.

Thanks!

I don't know how you could fit 18 drivers in that diminutive shell, but count me amongst the many who are eager and curious to find out. Looking forward to trying one soon. 
smile.gif

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #6,897 of 9,124

I don't know how you could fit 18 drivers in that diminutive shell, but count me amongst the many who are eager and curious to find out. Looking forward to trying one soon. 
smile.gif

It's still absurd when I look back seeing how this one has a housing that's supposedly even smaller than the U12. Like...how is that even possible, I really wanna see it in person lol.

I am more interested in the TIA Driver than anything to be honest since it seems like the one game-changer here compared to the APEX modules.

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #6,898 of 9,124
New APEX M15 modules are out:

https://www.64audio.com/product/Apex-m15-Modules

The apex-m15 module features a combination of dual ambient ports (that are larger than the single hole in the m20) and modified internals to achieve -15dB isolation at 350Hz (our standard measurement point) and an additional 4dB cut at 20Hz as compared to the m20, making it the middle ground between bass attenuation and isolation. This module houses the apex™ technology, featuring a pneumatically interactive vent that minimizes ear fatigue which results in a safer listening experience and a more rich and spacious sound.

The apex-m15 module is designed to work with the A & U-Series earphones (also backwards compatible with all previously sold A & U Series earphones) and EP-Custom Earplugs. Due to it's design, the m15 is easy to install – this means it can also be conveniently switched out with other modules for different levels of isolation and flavors of sound. Modules are sold in pairs only.

With -15db of isolation is almost as S1 ADEL, which has -18db, and pretty similar to M20, which has -20db. Will it really be a big difference in sound?

By the way, nobody else thinks that there shall be a new thread for 64 AUDIO APEX IEMs? This one is supposed to be for ADEL ones.

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #6,900 of 9,124
And have I missed the pricing? No doubt the 18tzar won't be cheap, but how about the tia forte? Being a four driver, maybe it's more reasonable?

Just an assumption on my end.

I bet it's gonna shoot far above even the price of the Shure KSE1500 due it being the "first ever" something. I could be wrong though. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back