1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Oct 1, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #6,796 of 9,124
I have finally finished my review.

If you are interested, enjoy.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/64-audio-u12-universal-in-ear-monitor/reviews/16993

Oct 2, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #6,798 of 9,124
So I read your review. . . great writeup. . . lol but it has left me even more confused about choosing between the A10 and A12. . . I have the A6 now and they are a huge improvement from my previous CIEMs. . but now I've been reading about both. . . some people have said the A6 and A12 have similar sound signature, with just more detail coming from the A12.  I'm leaning more towards the A10 because it seems to represent a balanced layout. . . I like being able to analyze every frequency in music and how they blend seamlessly with each other. . . not a basshead, but a song that doesn't have a good presence down low loses its impact. . . and I wonder if that is the case with the A10. .  .but then people have said the A12 does that too much. . . LOL

Paralysis by analysis. . . 

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #6,801 of 9,124
Hi all!

How do you adjust your MAM's evenly - left and right? It is difficulty...
And how do you find the best and right setting for you. And how is it from full closed?

Thanks,
Sven

Here are the instructions.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1348/5519/files/MAM_Instructions.pdf?14125951039904836164

I would read @Brooko's review of the U6 and other comments he's made about how he tunes. @Ike1985 also has a review on the MAM. There are a few tuning methods listed. The humming doesn't' work for me, so I just listen and start from either fully closed or fully opened and tune the dials to my liking.

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #6,802 of 9,124
not a basshead, but a song that doesn't have a good presence down low loses its impact. . . and I wonder if that is the case with the A10. .  .but then people have said the A12 does that too much. . . LOL

I would say 64audio sound signature is with good quality bass. U10 doesn't lack in bass. Balanced doesn't mean it does not have bass.

U12/a12 issues are due to impedance mismatch when paired with low impedance source players. Per 64audio, they were created to be used by musicians live on stage and their gears are with high impedance output.

U4se is a nice balanced iem too. Wish 64audio will continue to make them and also produce a custom version of it too. It's too good a model that deserves a place in their lineup.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #6,803 of 9,124
So I read your review. . . great writeup. . . lol but it has left me even more confused about choosing between the A10 and A12. . . I have the A6 now and they are a huge improvement from my previous CIEMs. . but now I've been reading about both. . . some people have said the A6 and A12 have similar sound signature, with just more detail coming from the A12.  I'm leaning more towards the A10 because it seems to represent a balanced layout. . . I like being able to analyze every frequency in music and how they blend seamlessly with each other. . . not a basshead, but a song that doesn't have a good presence down low loses its impact. . . and I wonder if that is the case with the A10. .  .but then people have said the A12 does that too much. . . LOL

I own the U10 and went through some girations to get the sound the way I wanted it. First, I went with the JVC Spiral Dots for the tips. Better seal and response IMO than the Comply, Spin Fit, or others I tried, although they don't fit snugly on the IEM. Then I ordered the UE Buffer Jack that introduces 20 OHM of resistance and suddenly the sound was exactly what I was looking for. I like solid bass, strong mids and articulate highs. My ideal IEM, in a word, would be described as "resolving". However, I am sensitive to a headphone with prominent highs (see HD 800) and am definitely not a bass head.

I think the U10 provides a nice balanced palette to begin with. They just need some simple tweaks, IMO.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #6,804 of 9,124
I own the U10 and went through some girations to get the sound the way I wanted it. First, I went with the JVC Spiral Dots for the tips. Better seal and response IMO than the Comply, Spin Fit, or others I tried, although they don't fit snugly on the IEM. Then I ordered the UE Buffer Jack that introduces 20 OHM of resistance and suddenly the sound was exactly what I was looking for. I like solid bass, strong mids and articulate highs. My ideal IEM, in a word, would be described as "resolving". However, I am sensitive to a headphone with prominent highs (see HD 800) and am definitely not a bass head.

I think the U10 provides a nice balanced palette to begin with. They just need some simple tweaks, IMO.

So I'm not quite understanding why the buffer jack is needed to increase the resistance? I thought most DAP should be able to run the in-ears without much trouble...?

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #6,805 of 9,124
It has to do with how the impedance curve affects the response. 64 Audio started out (1964 Ears) designing in-ears for stage use, where most devices have a higher output impedance than audiofile equipment. So when you use their monitors with gear that has very low impedance (in many cases approaching 0 ohms), it tilts the response curve to have a bit more bass and a bit less high end. By adding resistance between the output and IEM, the response changes to what 64 audio had designed them sound like.

FWIW this is applicable to anything audio really. It's exactly how etymotic changed the response of their various ER4 models. The ER4B was a bit different, but if you had the ER4P and wanted they ER4S signature you simply added an inline resistor (their P to S adapter for example), or buy a different cable that has the different value resistors in them. Same BA driver different responses.

I've also had mic preamps with a variable input impedance. It can quite dramatically change how the mic sounds. It's part of why some products seem to have a "synergy" or certain "mojo" together. It's not a bad design. It's just how they were designed and something some people want to tweak. It' going to depend greatly on your amp as to how much of a difference you will notice.

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #6,806 of 9,124
Ahh so the resistance changes the bass response... or more like levels it out... so that's why it is used with the A12s primarily...that makes scientific sense.

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #6,807 of 9,124
I have finally finished my review.

If you are interested, enjoy.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/64-audio-u12-universal-in-ear-monitor/reviews/16993

Hey Pinky, nice job on the review. Yes, the U12's bass and mid are very refined and definitely totl level. I am not an EQ person so I have never tried to EQ the treble and do not know if it will help or not. It will be nice if you can try to EQ the high and report back. Good job in trying with the desktop DAC, with 12 drivers, I suspect that the u12 will scale upward with clean power. In terms of dap, the most powerful dap right now is the LPG with 500mw per channel and I suspect the U12 will dance really well with it. Or the new Sony 1Z should make the U12 sounds really nice. I love it with my 380cu and never felt a hint of veil between me and my music even with its warm signature and that is exactly what you are chasing after. I have just picked up the Ibasso IT03 with a huge dynamic bass driver and bright high but the mid is nowhere near the U12's smooth and elegance. After I bought the U12, I purchased the Norne Therium Silver Litz and find it improves over the stock cable by at least 20 percent. I was worry about the high and not the bass. I think the U12 will do very well with high quality silver cable and daps with a signature on the brighter side. So come to think about it, the Upcoming Sony 1z may be too warm for the u12. But you should keep your eyes out for a used 380cu. I think it will match really nice with the u12 as it is more airy in the upper range.

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #6,808 of 9,124
Does anybody know if the u6 and u8 would be a upgrade over the v6?

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #6,809 of 9,124
Does anybody knoe if the u6 and u8 would be a upgrade over the v6?

I once owned V6s before they were stolen and loved them dearly.

I now own U10s and they are a definite upgrade to the V6, after all they do sport 4 additional drivers per ear. As far as comfort goes, nothing beats a CIEM (definitely not the U series IMO).

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #6,810 of 9,124
It has to do with how the impedance curve affects the response. 64 Audio started out (1964 Ears) designing in-ears for stage use, where most devices have a higher output impedance than audiofile equipment. So when you use their monitors with gear that has very low impedance (in many cases approaching 0 ohms), it tilts the response curve to have a bit more bass and a bit less high end. By adding resistance between the output and IEM, the response changes to what 64 audio had designed them sound like.

FWIW this is applicable to anything audio really. It's exactly how etymotic changed the response of their various ER4 models. The ER4B was a bit different, but if you had the ER4P and wanted they ER4S signature you simply added an inline resistor (their P to S adapter for example), or buy a different cable that has the different value resistors in them. Same BA driver different responses.

I've also had mic preamps with a variable input impedance. It can quite dramatically change how the mic sounds. It's part of why some products seem to have a "synergy" or certain "mojo" together. It's not a bad design. It's just how they were designed and something some people want to tweak. It' going to depend greatly on your amp as to how much of a difference you will notice.

Well said. The first thing I noticed when I added the 20 OHM resistance of the UE Buffer Jack was an increased clarity, probably as a result of the corrected frequency response from the added impedance.

Before inserting it into the chain, the U10s sounded flat and weird..."blah" would be a good word. The bass and sub bass was present but definitely tightened up after adding the jack.

$10 we'll spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back