1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #451 of 9,124
  Haha I feel like I'm pouncing on anyone that's heard the two - I know the V6S is brighter overall, I know the V8 is warmer, but I just want reassurance I'm backing the right one (U8 at this point!) – does the V8 have plenty of detail and clarity for you? I don't want to end up with some muddy thing just for the sake of good bass....

If you ask me, I don't find V8 muddy or muffled at all - it is still very detailed and clear.  But depending on the type of music you listen to, you could find V6 (U5) and V6S (U6) a bit more detailed.  For example, I don't think I would use V8/U8 to listen to classical music.  At the end, it comes down to personal preference - would you rather have more emphasis on bass or less?

And may I ask what earphones you are using?  How you feel about V8/U8 would depending on which earphones you are using / upgrading from, 

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #452 of 9,124

If you ask me, I don't find V8 muddy or muffled at all - it is still very detailed and clear.  But depending on the type of music you listen to, you could find V6 (U5) and V6S (U6) a bit more detailed.  For example, I don't think I would use V8/U8 to listen to classical music.  At the end, it comes down to personal preference - would you rather have more emphasis on bass or less?

And may I ask what earphones you are using?  How you feel about V8/U8 would depending on which earphones you are using / upgrading from, 

I'm currently running the Earsonic SM64s and the (cat-chewed) Sennheiser IE8s. Although, I only listen to the IE8s if I'm in bed and falling asleep - I care less if the cat runs off with those in my sleep than my new SM64s :D
The SM64s have the a great amount of bass for me. A little (emphasis on the little) bit more wouldn't bother me, as long as it was high quality. A lot more would bug me I think. I also wouldn't really want much less I suppose, although I haven't heard an IEM with less either, The Sennheiser IE8s obvs DO have quite a bit more bass, but they're dynamic driver so sort of get away with it a bit more- but as I said, I don't listen to them to properly listen, if that makes sense. They're my 'youtube before bed' headphones, if that makes sense!

Problem is, I'm facing conflicting reports from two great reviewers about whether the SM64s have less or more bass (quantity only - the quality is definitely better) than the SM64s, so I could do with some people helping to balance the consensus on one side! 

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #453 of 9,124

I'm currently running the Earsonic SM64s and the (cat-chewed) Sennheiser IE8s. Although, I only listen to the IE8s if I'm in bed and falling asleep - I care less if the cat runs off with those in my sleep than my new SM64s :D
The SM64s have the a great amount of bass for me. A little (emphasis on the little) bit more wouldn't bother me, as long as it was high quality. A lot more would bug me I think. I also wouldn't really want much less I suppose, although I haven't heard an IEM with less either, The Sennheiser IE8s obvs DO have quite a bit more bass, but they're dynamic driver so sort of get away with it a bit more- but as I said, I don't listen to them to properly listen, if that makes sense. They're my 'youtube before bed' headphones, if that makes sense!

Problem is, I'm facing conflicting reports from two great reviewers about whether the SM64s have less or more bass (quantity only - the quality is definitely better) than the SM64s, so I could do with some people helping to balance the consensus on one side! 

I used to own both the SM64 and IE8, but I already sold them.  IE8 took a lot of burn-in (personal opinion only, not trying to start a debate on burn-in :p), and the huge soundstage and deep bass were unforgettable.  SM64 is really difficult to drive well - but when paired with my WA7, I found it very very nice.  Great extension and well-controlled bass.

I can't give you an objective comparison, as I did not do any A-Bing with V8 and SM64/IE8.  But from my memory:
Bass quantity: IE8 > V8 > SM64
Bass quality: V8 > SM64 (when driven properly) > IE8 

Based on the two IEMs you are using, I would say V8 (U8) appears to be a more suitable choice for you.  V8 should be an overall upgrade over SM64 if you ask me - it has better bass extension, while still maintaining a reasonable level of clarity.  Most importantly, V8 is much easier to drive than SM64.

Just my two cents :p

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #454 of 9,124
I assume that was a typo, and you're asking about the Adele headphones. What I find interesting is how different people perceive the sound on the same headphones. I really like the SM 64, it fits me great, has detailed, open sound. The one problem I have with them is I don't find the bass to be adequate. I find the bass to be good quality, but any time I have to listen to music and try to focus to hear the bass, to me that's insufficient bass quantity. It's very interesting how different people report so differently on the same information. Is it hearing difference, sample variability?

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #455 of 9,124
I assume that was a typo, and you're asking about the Adele headphones. What I find interesting is how different people perceive the sound on the same headphones. I really like the SM 64, it fits me great, has detailed, open sound. The one problem I have with them is I don't find the bass to be adequate. I find the bass to be good quality, but any time I have to listen to music and try to focus to hear the bass, to me that's insufficient bass quantity. It's very interesting how different people report so differently on the same information. Is it hearing difference, sample variability?

Apart from personal preference and perception, I guess the difference is mainly caused by the high impedance.  SM64, to me, is an IEM which is difficult to drive well.  I was not very impressed when I first listened to it using an iPhone.  I was still not very impressed when I used it on an iMod with the UHA-6S MKII amp.  This changed when I plugged my SM64 into WA7 - much more detailed, and finally some nice bass (sufficient in terms of quantity).  I almost decided not to sell it - but then at that time I really needed the money to buy a CIEM :p

Nonetheless, I agree with you that I would prefer SM64 to have a bit more bass (that's because I prefer a slightly bassy sound signature) - and this is where U8 comes in :)

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #456 of 9,124

Apart from personal preference and perception, I guess the difference is mainly caused by the high impedance.  SM64, to me, is an IEM which is difficult to drive well.  I was not very impressed when I first listened to it using an iPhone.  I was still not very impressed when I used it on an iMod with the UHA-6S MKII amp.  This changed when I plugged my SM64 into WA7 - much more detailed, and finally some nice bass (sufficient in terms of quantity).  I almost decided not to sell it - but then at that time I really needed the money to buy a CIEM :p

Nonetheless, I agree with you that I would prefer SM64 to have a bit more bass (that's because I prefer a slightly bassy sound signature) - and this is where U8 comes in :)

Ditto with that.
I haven't tried amping the SM64, but unamped I found the bass lacking. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #457 of 9,124

Could be, but I have used it with Cayin C5 (could be underpowered), and Ray Samuels HR-2 (which I would think should be able to drive it) , using an attenuator. Bass was underwhelming with these , and with the DX90 straight up.

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #458 of 9,124

I used to own both the SM64 and IE8, but I already sold them.  IE8 took a lot of burn-in (personal opinion only, not trying to start a debate on burn-in :p), and the huge soundstage and deep bass were unforgettable.  SM64 is really difficult to drive well - but when paired with my WA7, I found it very very nice.  Great extension and well-controlled bass.

I can't give you an objective comparison, as I did not do any A-Bing with V8 and SM64/IE8.  But from my memory:
Bass quantity: IE8 > V8 > SM64
Bass quality: V8 > SM64 (when driven properly) > IE8 

Based on the two IEMs you are using, I would say V8 (U8) appears to be a more suitable choice for you.  V8 should be an overall upgrade over SM64 if you ask me - it has better bass extension, while still maintaining a reasonable level of clarity.  Most importantly, V8 is much easier to drive than SM64.

Just my two cents :p

But how much isa  'reasonable' amount? :D I know the V6S will deliver more, I just want it to have 'better' acoustics overall than my current SM64, or it will be a waste of money :s 

Ditto with that.
I haven't tried amping the SM64, but unamped I found the bass lacking. 

Not that me vs 2 people is a fair argument (and I'll probably lose to the 'subjectivity' argument, but it seems to be the consensus that the SM64s have above 'average' quantity of bass - everyone in the SM64 thread mentions it has a fair bit. I do think seal is especially important with these iems - the SM64s are the first where Ive had issues with getting a good seal, but when I did the bass was much more present. On bassy songs, I have actually found it to be on the verge of what I'd descibe as a very bass- capable iem, in quanity (and quality). Hence, my confusion continues about how much the V8s will have :D

Without jumping back, have either of you tried the V6S? Are you able to corroborate what ericr said - the V6S has 'more' bass capability than the SM64s?

Quote:

I only drive mine from an HTC One M8 - apparently it has a pretty decent DAC for a phone, but still, it is only a phone haha!

Can someone tell me whether the V8 has better clarity/details than the SM64, despite being relatively bass heavy?

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #459 of 9,124
But how much isa  'reasonable' amount? :D I know the V6S will deliver more, I just want it to have 'better' acoustics overall than my current SM64, or it will be a waste of money :s 

I only drive mine from an HTC One M8 - apparently it has a pretty decent DAC for a phone, but still, it is only a phone haha!

Can someone tell me whether the V8 has better clarity/details than the SM64, despite being relatively bass heavy?

@tmorterlaing : Please consider contacting Stephen at 1964Adel and ask him whether you can buy both U6 and U8 and agree upon returning one of them afterwards :rolleyes:

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #460 of 9,124
@tmorterlaing : Please consider contacting Stephen at 1964Adel and ask him whether you can buy both U6 and U8 and agree upon returning one of them afterwards
rolleyes.gif

I contacted them through the Kickstarter contact form (I assume that goes to him - dunno if it matters) and the answer was basically 'no, but the U8 will serve you needs". Which isn't enough for me, hence my mission here :D

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #461 of 9,124
[quote="tmorterlaing]  I contacted them through the Kickstarter contact form (I assume that goes to him - dunno if it matters) and the answer was basically 'no, but the U8 will serve you needs". Which isn't enough for me, hence my mission here :D:[/quote]

Yep, we noticed. I'm sorry you got a dissatisfied answer. I'm sure he will arrange something with you if all backers here would sent him a the same request on your behalf - like a Head-Fi mob :D - because this thread is starting to get bass-boring

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #462 of 9,124

That would be very difficult to answer, as I don't have a SM64 and a V8 to do some comparison right now.  The best solution would be to do a demo of V6S and V8 yourself - that's the only way to find out which one you like more.  After all, the impressions of others could vary a lot and may not be helpful to you - as you may notice from the SM64's bass mini-debate :)

Personally speaking, I would argue that V6S is an acoustic upgrade over SM64.  V6S offers greater extension, a wider soundstage and more details than SM64.  And it is much easier to drive.

V8 would still give you a wide soundstage and plenty of details (perhaps not as detailed as V6S though - the heavy bass would not make things muddy, but may give you an impression that V6S is clearer), but most importantly, even more prominent bass.  When I listen to music that calls for bass, I would not say V6S is lacking in bass; but it leaves me yearning for a bit more.  V8 solves that problem for me.  With that being said, I would still keep my custom-made V6S for generic use, and U8 for bassy tracks.

I have to say, however, it is not possible for me to draw an objective comparison between SM64 and V8 - because I demoed them from different sources / setups.  The SM64 + WA7 combination left a lasting impression; but I did not get the opportunity to demo V8 with my WA7 desktop setup.  I would definitely give the setup a try when my U8 arrives though :p

So where does that leave us?  I can only say that I FEEL that V8 is likely an upgrade over SM64 - because I enjoyed using V8 more than V6S during the demoing.  Bottom line?  You probably can't go wrong with either V6S (U6) or V8 (U8).

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #463 of 9,124
Hello, I didn't realize that I could change my contribution to kickstarter, is that the case? I guess the funds are still within Kickstarter. I contributed to the U4 but now I am thinking of upgrading, my goal is to replace my SHURE 535. Looking for a little bit more bass and more extended treble than the 535s, but with the sweet midrange LOL What do you think will be an upgrade between the U 5,6,8.

Thanks

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #465 of 9,124
thanks, lol no problem, to be honest I am kind of satisfied with the bass of the Shures but definitely would love a little more at the top. Little more bass desired but definitely no less that the Shures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back