100-200$ Max speakers, suggestions?
Dec 1, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #16 of 51
After a lot of research looking for quality bookshelf speakers in the $300 price range, I too ended up with Paradigm Atoms. I am driving them with the $30 Sonic Impact T-amp from my Chaintech AV710 soundcard. It's a very nice combo.

You can pick Atoms up used on Ebay for around $100 to $150, sometimes less depending on the version. You might get a deal on new if you find them in Canada since Paradigm is up there. Also, I read v.2 and v.3 Atoms are the same speakers, only upgraded in version number to match the rest of the Performance series.

Here are some reviews you ought to check out:

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/664/
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/paradigm_atom.htm

Wodgy has it about right--Atoms put out a nice, balanced, and very big sound for their size. You can use them without a sub and still really enjoy them. I'm tempted to say they sound "amazing", but I haven't heard the other speakers you referred to.

Atoms do lack just a bit of upper range detail and sparkle--it's there, but just not emphasized. Also, if you plan to use a sub, you might look for something just a little brighter sounding without as much bass extension since there does appear to be a modest hump in the mid-bass region. But I'm being very critical when I say these things as they really are a terrific sounding small speaker for an almost unbelievable price.

-coma

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
I prefer diy
smily_headphones1.gif
at $300, now you're talking. At $200...

ooheadsoo (why is your username so difficult to type, and what does it mean anyway?
wink.gif
)...

Can you recommend a high-efficiency (90dB or higher), terrific-sounding, DIY small speaker project in the $200 to $300 range that I could drive with the Sonic Impact T-amp?

As noted in this thread, I'm pretty happy with Atoms, but would enjoy trying something even better that would be in the same general price range and would let me have some enjoyable DIY hours in the shop.

Another attractive option in that range is a used pair of Triangle Titus 202's that typically go for ~$350 on Audiogon, but it would be fun to see what could be accomplished with a little elbow grease and the same general budget.

-coma

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:19 AM Post #19 of 51
My opinion is based on pure hearsay in this regard (salt, anyone?,) but here it is anyway. Wayne J has an arguably better reputation for xover design. You can find his stuff over at speakerbuilder.net. He is friends with and designed his Dayton II concurrently with the guy that did the BR-1. If I were to choose between the BR-1 and the Wayne J's design, I would probably go for Wayne's, based on reputation alone. The other thing I have heard is that some used speakers in this ballpark can beat the BR-1 - but I have not read any comparisons to Wayne's design. The other thing is that Wayne feels that his Dayton Budget Project is a higher fi speaker than the Dayton II, and it's cheaper too. You sacrifice a smidgen of bass by using the smaller woofer.

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #20 of 51
Coma, check out this review: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-5-2003.html

The av1 is no cheap speaker and it appears that the titus keeps up quite well.

However, with that budget considering that you will build the cabinet yourself, any of Dennis Murphy's non-Hiquphon OW1 bookshelf designs would fit...I think. Close, at least. However, efficiency has never been Dennis's thing, IMO. He likes to voice his speakers for a good distance from the rear wall, and that brings down the efficiency since the baffle step compensation ends up being so high (at least, that's my take.) Your sonic impact may have trouble, though I'm not 100% sure what your demands are.

If you're dead set on high efficiency, full range speakers are probably the only way to go. You'll have a hoot in your woodshop too if you decide to build a rear horn loaded box
smily_headphones1.gif
You basically buy some fostex full range speakers and throw it into the recommended box...Idl have to do a bit of research to come up with any specific designs...

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #21 of 51
Thanks. I will check your recommendations out. I'm just getting started researching DIY speakers. Internet sources for this info seems to include a wealth of pretty useless and dead-end info--i.e. a lot of experiments and very few well-engineered designs.

Have a good night.

-coma

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:59 AM Post #23 of 51
Dennis Murphy is one of many to watch out for. He offers some of his designs for free, for heaven's sake. His designs that others are selling have outstanding reps. Salksound's new ~$3500 3 way by Dennis were compared favorably to the Joseph Audio Pearls by a fellow speaker designer. "Sounds exactly like the Joseph Audio Pearl except it has better bass."

I like madisound's forum. You can try diyaudio too but that forum is really negative and unfriendly at times. There are some guys with great reps at both places. Dennis is at madisound, and so is Rick Craig of selah audio.

Dec 1, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
How do the Paradigm Atoms sound at low volume levels?

I'd describe their low-volume sound as "adequate". I confess I like to dial in a pair of 8" subs when the volume gets too low.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Also, does anyone know anywhere online that sells the Mission M71s or the Atoms?

I undertand new Paradigm speakers are not available online, so you have to find a dealer. But as noted up-thread, you can buy them used on Ebay for good prices. I know nothing about M71's.

-coma

P.S. When I play my Atom's at night, they seem to start sounding just about right at a volume level that causes my wife in an adjoining room to wake up and ask me to turn them back down, if that's any indication. If low-volume listening is a requirement, I'd say you should look elsewhere (hey, try headphones
biggrin.gif
). That's another reason the Titus 202's have my interest piqued--they are known for sounding truly great at low volumes. Truth is, I haven't listened to my headphones all that much since my Atoms arrived, mostly just at night after everyone has gone to bed.

Dec 1, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Dennis Murphy is one of many to watch out for. He offers some of his designs for free, for heaven's sake. His designs that others are selling have outstanding reps. Salksound's new ~$3500 3 way by Dennis were compared favorably to the Joseph Audio Pearls by a fellow speaker designer. "Sounds exactly like the Joseph Audio Pearl except it has better bass."

I like madisound's forum. You can try diyaudio too but that forum is really negative and unfriendly at times. There are some guys with great reps at both places. Dennis is at madisound, and so is Rick Craig of selah audio.

Great--I'll be heading over to madisound's forum. I have spent a little time on diyAudio.com already, and plan to spend more time there as I get my DIY turntable project underway and also consider some DIY speakers (though Triangle Titus 202's sound like a used bargain). Interesting thing with the negativity on diyAudio--the "Texas" (banned posts) forum lets you know the bad eggs are numerous and the moderators have a F/T job on that site.

biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #26 of 51
They're like rabid dogs! They tear each other to shreds at the slightest disagreement!
eek.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

They're like rabid dogs! They tear each other to shreds at the slightest disagreement!
eek.gif

Yeah, it's actually pretty funny. Some people have too much ego invested in their purchase and/or engineering decisions. It's a "get a life" kind of thing.

Finally, I didn't want to start a new thread to ask this question, but what does "DBT-Free" stand for in the title of this forum. I normally pick up on even obscure acronyms, but this one escapes me for some reason. I'm sure it's really obvious, once someone tells me.

DBT = ??? ... a little help please...
biggrin.gif

-coma

Dec 1, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #28 of 51
double blind test - usually regarding cable and wire debates.

Dec 1, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

double blind test - usually regarding cable and wire debates.

Very good. Thanks. Nothing like reading a 25-page cable debate to ruin your whole afternoon.

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back