1 week review of Sony NW-ZX507 (NW-ZX500 Series)

ZX507 better than AK Kann Cube?

• Total voters
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #16 of 136
Wow the zx507 is really that good up against a DAP twice it's price?

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #17 of 136
IMO definitely! But pair with a Sony headphone especially the signature series Z1Rs and you got something special. At least I’ve found my nirvana with ZX507 and the IER-Z1R.

I had the AK, it had tremendous power to drive any headphone out there but the interface was annoying me...SQ wise not bad too but I couldn’t find a perfect match with it.

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #18 of 136
IMO definitely! But pair with a Sony headphone especially the signature series Z1Rs and you got something special. At least I’ve found my nirvana with ZX507 and the IER-Z1R.

I had the AK, it had tremendous power to drive any headphone out there but the interface was annoying me...SQ wise not bad too but I couldn’t find a perfect match with it.
Won't be looking for an IEM. As I just filled out for the CF Solaris. Hence looking to get rid of the cube, unnecessary power

Jan 20, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #19 of 136
Hi,

I agree with the initial post on this thread...the ZX507 is beyond the AK Cube. In so far as my own experience; I've owned several DAP's including the AK240, AK Cube, Sony WM1A... this one somehow trumps all.
I'm using iem's for the most part and most recently purchase CA Andromeda's (V3, 2019 model)... the sound quality and layering has me hearing detail and nuances in hi-res files I simply didn't before... of course this has a lot to do with both your head/earphones as well as the SQ of your files. That being said the soundstage is significantly better than any other source I've heard as well.
I disabled most items in Android as well, and can attest to the only real issue being the touted battery life isn't as advertised, but frankly, that applies to all DAPs...
I also use USB Audio Pro and direct sound processing vs. Android processing... it allows the best sound quality vs. the Sony App (which is already fantastic) and allows direct access to TIDAL without using the TIDAL app... it works great and sounds easily as good as the proprietary app.
I bought mine from a seller on eBay from Japan, with the case... ended up being the same price as it will be in Canada - once they are actually available.
Last point - I had to run my various head/earphones at "80" on other DAPS to really hear all elements of any track... on the ZX507 and the Andromeda's I'm usually at 40-50 (out of 120 steps available)... the sound is that clear and articulated - plus these iem's run at 12 OHMs so less power is required...
No need to drive into the observations or verbiage of blacks, mids, transparency, clarity, bass... all this player requires is a listen of a hi-res file with a decent pair of iem's or headphones...you will be sold.
+ Quick add - sorry, I should have noted that best results are always with a balanced connection; currently using a Sony Kimber Balanced cable, have a iBasso's MMCX balanced cable as well but the Sony seems to sound better with Acoustune 1551Cu iem's, Shure 846's, and with the CA Andromeda's...
Dave

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #20 of 136
I think the latest firmware has slightly improved battery life and runs cooler to touch.

If you want better battery life, you should try enabling battery saver mode.

Using DSP settings also will eat alot of battery life about 40% or more.

I feel that battery life is non issue on the zx507 since it charges up so fast. 50% in half an hour using USB C Power Delivery. I carry around an anker power bank which has enough juice to power my phone and walkman for the whole day.

Try getting a bottle of Deoxit gold to clean the gold connectors of your walkman and 4.4mm/3.5mm jack and mmcx points of your iem. In my experience, it brings slightly more dynamics and clarity to the sound.

Jan 20, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #21 of 136
I think the latest firmware has slightly improved battery life and runs cooler to touch.

If you want better battery life, you should try enabling battery saver mode.

Using DSP settings also will eat alot of battery life about 40% or more.

I feel that battery life is non issue on the zx507 since it charges up so fast. 50% in half an hour using USB C Power Delivery. I carry around an anker power bank which has enough juice to power my phone and walkman for the whole day.

Try getting a bottle of Deoxit gold to clean the gold connectors of your walkman and 4.4mm/3.5mm jack and mmcx points of your iem. In my experience, it brings slightly more dynamics and clarity to the sound.

Hi,
You mention using an anker power bank... I don't know what the rated USB C amperage for the ZX507 is... would you mind sharing the anker model of the power bank you have OR would you happen to know the rated recommended charging amperage/voltage is for the zx7507?
Thank you,
Dave

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #22 of 136
Any anker with USB power delivery will do.

I am using the 26800 PD model.

With USB PD, you don't have to worry about ampere as it is auto-negotiated between the walkman charging logic and the anker power bank.

Jan 24, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #27 of 136
Hi,

I agree with the initial post on this thread...the ZX507 is beyond the AK Cube. In so far as my own experience; I've owned several DAP's including the AK240, AK Cube, Sony WM1A... this one somehow trumps all.
I'm using iem's for the most part and most recently purchase CA Andromeda's (V3, 2019 model)... the sound quality and layering has me hearing detail and nuances in hi-res files I simply didn't before... of course this has a lot to do with both your head/earphones as well as the SQ of your files. That being said the soundstage is significantly better than any other source I've heard as well.
I disabled most items in Android as well, and can attest to the only real issue being the touted battery life isn't as advertised, but frankly, that applies to all DAPs...
I also use USB Audio Pro and direct sound processing vs. Android processing... it allows the best sound quality vs. the Sony App (which is already fantastic) and allows direct access to TIDAL without using the TIDAL app... it works great and sounds easily as good as the proprietary app.
I bought mine from a seller on eBay from Japan, with the case... ended up being the same price as it will be in Canada - once they are actually available.
Last point - I had to run my various head/earphones at "80" on other DAPS to really hear all elements of any track... on the ZX507 and the Andromeda's I'm usually at 40-50 (out of 120 steps available)... the sound is that clear and articulated - plus these iem's run at 12 OHMs so less power is required...
No need to drive into the observations or verbiage of blacks, mids, transparency, clarity, bass... all this player requires is a listen of a hi-res file with a decent pair of iem's or headphones...you will be sold.
+ Quick add - sorry, I should have noted that best results are always with a balanced connection; currently using a Sony Kimber Balanced cable, have a iBasso's MMCX balanced cable as well but the Sony seems to sound better with Acoustune 1551Cu iem's, Shure 846's, and with the CA Andromeda's...
Dave

Ebay seller name and link please

Jan 29, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #28 of 136
Is this significantly better than DX160 / R5?

Jan 29, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #30 of 136

Users who are viewing this thread

Back