「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
May 27, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #176,956 of 177,747
Well I just bought ten CBS Flo brand new in box for USD560 (845 dollarydoos on eBay), I hope you're happy with yourself. ><

I "needed" two for my desk, but once I saw the bulk pack I figure I'll use 4 in the garage and maybe a friend could use a couple. The price was too good to pass up, they're like AUD200ish retail? Even used ones look to be in the AUD90 range on eBay/Gumtree.
Noice, you can always resell them too.

How bad do I need it? My (very short) research made it seem like it might be nice to have, but isn't exactly mandatory with modern Flux-core solder.

As for the latter, I ordered parts for two boards. One of them has like, 5 components and the other is a bit more complicated. Only bought offboard stuff (switches, sockets etc.) for the latter, so the first one will be my testbed.
Flux is super helpful when you're using a solder wick to clean up old solder and fixing sloppy solder joints.

May 27, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #176,958 of 177,747
May 27, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #176,959 of 177,747
Most of the time I successfully remove stuff using only the slurp-syringe-gun thingy. But the magic of capillarity in action on melted metal is just so cool!

May 27, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #176,960 of 177,747
I got my Goot brass wool from Jaycar

Nice I'll pick some up next time I'm there....which may be never because they closed the store 10 minutes away from me. X(

The whole thread cheering on Accoun. (it's hilarious that nearly everybody active here can solder)

dd3.png

May 30, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #176,962 of 177,747
Anyone have a lot of experience with monitor stands/arms? I dunno if I should get an eBay cheapie or spend a little more on some used 'branded' ones. Prooobably leaning towards the latter because you know...businesses closing down and stuff.

My monitor arm arrived. Easy to install, and very sturdy in most places. It just seems that the piece for adjusting tension is just a plastic dial and that broke apart already when adjusting it. There is a review that mentioned it on Amazon but I didn't read that one until now.

So far really happy because it can go to the height I want just fine, and adjustments is easy.

The arm is rated for well above the weight of my monitor so it's always in the highest position, but that's okay because the hight can be adjusted via the base cylinder as well. The monitor tilt can also be a bit hard to adjust at first if the monitor is light.

Not as fancy as more premium arms but first impression is very good (aside from the broken plastic piece).

Mostly got this version because I do plan to get a 32 inch monitor one day, which will be decently heavier.

-

Side note, 3 amazon packages arrived on Friday, all from the same shipping company. I've package was ordered two days ago and one was from over a month ago. Guess they got delayed big time until now.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #176,964 of 177,747
Replacement Taotronics Bluetooth earbuds arrived and as expected...high hiss! Guess it's just the design.

Kinda feel bad again for acquiring free stuff. Maybe I'm just too sensitive to noise or something, first the Noctua fans, then these. Both were fine. Both asked that I keep the product I'm the end rather than destroy/send back one set.

Kinda want to lie and say the new product is fine, but really should be honest and admit that my ears are just weird.

There are plenty of earbuds at the same price that don't have hiss, but many do as well. Now I wonder which of my friends want cheap Bluetooth headphones...

May 31, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #176,965 of 177,747
Replacement Taotronics Bluetooth earbuds arrived and as expected...high hiss! Guess it's just the design.

Kinda feel bad again for acquiring free stuff. Maybe I'm just too sensitive to noise or something, first the Noctua fans, then these. Both were fine. Both asked that I keep the product I'm the end rather than destroy/send back one set.

Kinda want to lie and say the new product is fine, but really should be honest and admit that my ears are just weird.

There are plenty of earbuds at the same price that don't have hiss, but many do as well. Now I wonder which of my friends want cheap Bluetooth headphones...
if it's any comfort, almost all the BT headphones I've tried had too much background hiss for me to use anywhere but on the streets. with that said, I've been known to obsess a tiny bit about all matters of audible noises.

Jun 1, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #176,966 of 177,747
Ah well. It gets the job done. Guess the
wireless revolution will need to wait a few more years or decades for my house. :3

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #176,967 of 177,747
Ah well. It gets the job done. Guess the
wireless revolution will need to wait a few more years or decades for my house. :3

Speaking of wireless I just ordered a new (old) access point, a Cisco 3802e. I'll finally be on wave 2 11ac wooooo. My old AP had internal antennas so the range wasn't as good as I would have liked.

Monitor arms are in, I installed 4 in the garage and will take a pic when it's cleaned up a bit. At first I was worried I wouldn't be able to find use for 10 of them, but in a sick twist of fate I won't have any for my personal rig (not that it matters because I don't care too much for aesthetics). ><

Build quality is great, I will probably keep an eye out for cheap used ones in the future for personal use. Buying another 10 pack would be a bit excessive. =P

The garage was more important to me because now I can push the monitors away when I need the desk space to work on big projects....or have pizza parties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back