「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Aug 29, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #174,346 of 177,747
It's about to get real.

giphy.gif

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #174,349 of 177,747
Anyone one got on the VR train with the latest discounts?

Aug 30, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #174,352 of 177,747
I love the VR train because it forced people to look into proper 3D or at least 2D audio calibration on headphones. something the audio industry clearly didn't want to bother with all those years even though it was such an obvious issue from the start. the most effort so far were some lousy "look we've tilted the driver a little, we care so much"...
and right now that's all I like about VR. the expected yet always disappointing wars to own some patent/copyright/exclusivity, and force it to the market even when there are already 10 equivalent methods, is annoying. it's like a political party with 20 candidates, they all want to be king so much that they'd rather ruin everybody's chances than be reasonable an collaborate.

that said, I'd love to try something with eye tracking as that's what ruined the experience for me with all 3D tricks I've tried so far. I still expect my eye to be ruined because of how close the focus point is, but the experience with a field of view aligned on eye tracking must be something else.

Aug 30, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #174,355 of 177,747
that said, I'd love to try something with eye tracking as that's what ruined the experience for me with all 3D tricks I've tried so far. I still expect my eye to be ruined because of how close the focus point is, but the experience with a field of view aligned on eye tracking must be something else.

There's lenses inside that increase the focus distance so it's not really too fatiguing at all. Once we get better screens in there I think it'll start to get really immersive. Good thing Apple is pushing 120Hz displays in mobile products, right now the Rift and Vive are 90hz or so, the second gen products will be really interesting.
1440 vertical res will happen IMO...2160 might be too big of a jump as our high end GPUs sorta struggle with 60fps 4K right now (and I don't even think our current displayport version can push 4k@120...maybe).

Hmm in terms of surround sound in headphones, I agree we have a long way to go but I thought the latest Battlefield series of games were pretty good....can't think of much else that impressed me recently. (but maybe boom boom explosions are easier to do)

Aug 30, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #174,357 of 177,747
Just watched Netflix's Death Note. As expected, Ryuk best girl.

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #174,358 of 177,747
I'm waiting for gen. 2.0 to even try the new crop of VR. Things mentioned above like increased resolution for less screen-door and eye tracking sound much more compelling than what has been delivered so far. Not really interested in being an early adopter this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back