「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Feb 15, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #146,552 of 177,747
  IIRC you have to keep OS X on the laptop to update firmwares, correct? And agreed, hardware is fantastic.

Every gripe here, solve with Linux. :p

*sigh* Hoping for a XPS 15 (2015, Skylake) that can give the Skylake refresh of the 15" MBP Retina a nice run for its money just like the current one does. Also hoping Dell puts it under Project Sputnik (basically Linux compatible, ships with Ubuntu). I don't see any reason not to considering they put in a Dell Precision laptop that's basically identical to the XPS 15 except with a workstation GPU.

Nah, you can ignore Apple constantly asking you to upgrade :wink:

Except, Linux doesn't play well with apple hardware.

I wish my current one as under Project Sputnik.... I'm sitting here desperately waiting for kernel 3.20 to fix my hardware woes.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #146,553 of 177,747

Oh damn it's got microSD slot
And if they gonna support 8.1 for real then I'll get one too
Next is the pricing

Someone played Modern Warfare on it

Yes the x98 dual boots, but I would like one with more RAM

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #146,555 of 177,747
  Indeed, Apple hardware is top-notch.

OSX however.... not so much. I've been using OSX from 10.4 through 10.10.
1. Like I said before, It's resource hungry. 8GB RAM is a minimum for normal non-gaming usage.
2. Another problem is the crap ton of Apple propriety x or y that just wouldn't play well with others.
3. Lack of community support. guess what? you need to pay to be an Apple developer, that's BS.

On the other hand though, a lot of Apple critics out there are not experienced Apple users.
We're got a ton of people switching from Windows to Mac so a lot them probably aren't using their Macs efficiently.
That and because all hipster products needs haters.

I think a lot of the Apple critics are critisizing the price tag, to be honest. However, trying to put together a Lenovo at their store with similar hardware configurations will yield a somewhat comparable price. This is what gets me every time. No, it's not cheap because it's not supposed to be a cheap laptop. For a cheaper price tag, you just don't get the bells and whistles you get with expensive ones, and this is not Apple exclusive. Also, I know I sounded kind of Apple-fanboyish up there; there is no doubt in my mind that there are much better choices if gaming is of concern, or you're stuck to the Microsoft eco-system, and honestly, the Microsoft eco-system is a pretty good choice. Few stones are left unturned there, IMO, and with Satya Nadella, I'm sure MS will get even better with time. Satya just doesn't seem so bone headed that he'd risk going dinosaur on us. 

As for OS X, in that case you're way more experienced than me, but I've never really came upon any big problems at all. I have 8 gigs of RAM and it works flawlessly, even with big pics in Photoshop, or movies in iMovie (and so on). I think some of the critics pointing to a memory hungry OS is because the OS itself utilizes the RAM is a different way AFAIK. It pre-allocates memory in such a way that it looks like it's a memory hog, but in reality, it has RAM reserved for memory hungry applications. Or so I have understood it. Not going to swear on it, nor should you quote me on it.

As said, I haven't run into any huge deal breaking problems yet. Disclosure: I never did run into them in Windows or Linux either, so don't take me for a "PC-hating" dude. They're all good, but for me, Macs simply do it better, and I don't regret the higher price tag at all, not for a moment.

It's so fun, I used to be so damned anti-Apple. Then I got myself an iPad because my kids didn't like my shiny Windows 8 Pro tablet, because of the lack of games. Loved it myself. Then I got myself an iPhone and left my Samsung Galaxy Note II be my work phone instead. Don't regret it for a second. At this time, I was so baffled by my turnaround on the Apple subject, so I started looking at MBP's with a Retina screen. Same story here. A few weeks in, and I didn't even miss anything from Windows or Linux - and for the few times I want to go back for a minute, I just fire them up in Paralells or dual boot, only to boot back to OS X because I like it better there.

Now, I may suffer from new-toy-syndrome here, but this is at least my experience for now. As always, experiences are subject to change with time. But for now, I'm as happy as happy can be in my little OS X cave.

Edit: I have to admit, the iPad Air 2 with more RAM and the SoC upgrade is a freaking beast. It's just so silly fast, powerful and the thinness although being a running joke for Apple at this point is nothing to scuff at - it's thinner than your average magazine and yeah, it does change fundamentally how you use it.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #146,556 of 177,747
Is there any convertible laptop that has at least 4gb ram and is not the Surface? Oh and not expensive
I don't know if I could live with 2gb ram

Dell has its own spanking new Venue Pro 11 with at least 4GB of RAM, IIRC.

EDIT: [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2lnPzFMELE[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dlBePlwe9E[/video]

Both of these have at least 4GB

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #146,557 of 177,747

I think a lot of the Apple critics are critisizing the price tag, to be honest.

It's so fun, I used to be so damned anti-Apple. Then I got myself an iPad because my kids didn't like my shiny Windows 8 Pro tablet, because of the lack of games. Loved it myself. Then I got myself an iPhone and left my Samsung Galaxy Note II be my work phone instead. Don't regret it for a second. At this time, I was so baffled by my turnaround on the Apple subject, so I started looking at MBP's with a Retina screen. Same story here. A few weeks in, and I didn't even miss anything from Windows or Linux - and for the few times I want to go back for a minute, I just fire them up in Paralells or dual boot, only to boot back to OS X because I like it better there.

Now, I may suffer from new-toy-syndrome here, but this is at least my experience for now. As always, experiences are subject to change with time. But for now, I'm as happy as happy can be in my little OS X cave.

Edit: I have to admit, the iPad Air 2 with more RAM and the SoC upgrade is a freaking beast. It's just so silly fast, powerful and the thinness although being a running joke for Apple at this point is nothing to scuff at - it's thinner than your average magazine and yeah, it does change fundamentally how you use it.

However, I can't deny that the iPhone is really absurdly expensive

Now an iPhone 6+ 64GB is like 1.2k SGD in Singapore. The Xperia Z3 is like 800SGD, and while having a slightly smaller screen, you can just add a relatively affordable 64GB Class 10 and it is still a good 300 dollars cheaper

I know a lot of Apple fans would argue that the iPhone 6+ is worth that 1.2k, but I just don't see it. It is not like I have never used Apple products before, I currently own a iPod Nano and a iPod Touch (which I got for free). I just feel that other companies can match the iPhone at a much more reasonable price

I am waiting for my contract to run out and get the Xiaomi Mi Note, really hits the sweet spot for me

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #146,558 of 177,747

Nah, you can ignore Apple constantly asking you to upgrade :wink:

Making things irreplacable or proprietary feels like it's against their design philosophy, at least the man Jonathan Ives looks up to (Dieter Rams) who promotes environmental friendliness, and swappable components is one step towards that (so you don't have to replace everything).

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #146,560 of 177,747
  Making things irreplacable or proprietary feels like it's against their design philosophy, at least the man Jonathan Ives looks up to (Dieter Rams) who promotes environmental friendliness, and swappable components is one step towards that (so you don't have to replace everything).

It's like buying color pencils in sets... when you use up one colour, you can just replace that one colour instead of replacing the entire set

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #146,561 of 177,747
Until now I never knew there was something like Laptop-Fi.

Y'all motherflubbers need karaoke!

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #146,562 of 177,747
This is pretty cool. The PO-14 is the most expensive thing here and it's only $65 or so. Monotron Delay should be able to be found at around $30 and speech is from a pocket translator bought for pennies at flea market.

[yt]PQEQM_kMFRs[/yt]

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #146,563 of 177,747
Dell has its own spanking new Venue Pro 11 with at least 4GB of RAM, IIRC.

EDIT:

Both of these have at least 4GB

Can't seem to find it here, except the venue but not really fond of it
But I think I'll get the Teclast x98.... If available here

There's also this:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Yoga-2-1051F-Windows-Tablet-Review-Update.132006.0.html

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #146,564 of 177,747
This is pretty cool. The PO-14 is the most expensive thing here and it's only $65 or so. Monotron Delay should be able to be found at around $30 and speech is from a pocket translator bought for pennies at flea market.

Take two because I posted it on my phone and forgot that YouTube tags seem to work diffrently on every forum I frequent. :-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back