「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Aug 11, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #123,451 of 177,747
  Really interesting article on everyones favorite noodle soup!

http://www.tofugu.com/2014/08/11/the-social-history-of-ramen/

Huh, interesting. That reminds me, I should read this article too.
http://eater.com/archives/2014/07/22/sun-noodle-ramen-company-momofuku-ivan-ramen.php

Honestly, I don't think Samurai Noodle is that good. You pay big bucks for not so much food, and it costs extra to add stuff in. You're probably better off going to another quality Japanese restaurant.

People around here tend to make fun of them because the restaurants are run by white people. XD

Will need to read that article later. I just skimmed it. Yours too Tom.

Momofuku ramen is meh at best. I was really disappointed actually. Probably my favorite ramen shop, Santouka uses Sun noodles I'm pretty sure. "Reviewers" in NY are waaaay too lenient on ramen IMO. There are literally 3 really good ramen places in and around NY. The rest range from not bad to I wish I hadn't come here.

The best ramen I had, bar none, was when Mitsuwa Marketplace flew in this one ramen chef from japan for one of their weekend "festivals." I might have the name somewhere, I'd only look for it if I was planning a trip to Japan. It was so good I could barely think straight. It wasn't even any special ramen, just the execution and flavor... I don't even.

lol, and I just had ramen.

I'm only interested in this thread, so for me it doesn't really matter.
I just go to my subscriptions and view the top entry. (which is pretty much always this thread).

Well, I post in a lot of threads, and there would be no point in subscribing to all of them like you suggested.

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #123,452 of 177,747
Aug 11, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #123,453 of 177,747
Anywhere good? Lol

My bedroom.
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #123,455 of 177,747
Must have been some really fancy stuff.

Dude don't even joke. I'm sure he simmered the bones for 2 days from a pig he shot with his bow and arrow that he made himself, the same one he used to win a bow and arrow competition, a broth making technique he taught to ramen chefs while touring Japan. And is already in the process of making sexy belts and wallets from the hide. :D :p

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #123,456 of 177,747

Huh, interesting. That reminds me, I should read this article too.
http://eater.com/archives/2014/07/22/sun-noodle-ramen-company-momofuku-ivan-ramen.php

Honestly, I don't think Samurai Noodle is that good. You pay big bucks for not so much food, and it costs extra to add stuff in. You're probably better off going to another quality Japanese restaurant.

People around here tend to make fun of them because the restaurants are run by white people. XD

This is true. The one we went to a couple weeks ago was great! Much better than what I remember Samurai Noodle tasting like!

Music Alchemist mentioned me and PM'd me, so I thought I'd see what was up here.

Carry on.

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #123,457 of 177,747
Dude don't even joke. I'm sure he simmered the bones for 2 days from a pig he shot with his bow and arrow that he made himself, the same one he used to win a bow and arrow competition, a broth making technique he taught to ramen chefs while touring Japan. And is already in the process of making sexy belts and wallets from the hide.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

If only...

This is true. The one we went to a couple weeks ago was great! Much better than what I remember Samurai Noodle tasting like!

Music Alchemist mentioned me and PM'd me, so I thought I'd see what was up here.

Carry on.

bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #123,460 of 177,747
Is it just me or is udon much better than ramen?

It depends on the quality of either dish and the type of food you're in the mood for.

Ramen is a much heavier dish, so I tend to prefer udon for its simplicity (egg vs wheat flour noodle; complex and rich vs basic soup broth). In the article Tom posted, the historian prefers soba, which is usually lighter than either dish.

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #123,461 of 177,747
It depends on the quality of either dish and the type of food you're in the mood for.

Ramen is a much heavier dish, so I tend to prefer udon for its simplicity (egg vs wheat flour noodle). In the article Tom posted, the historian prefers soba, which is usually lighter than either dish.

Can't stand soba. I find the taste of soba kinda nasty.

I really like how chewy udon is above all things. The noodles itself in a bowl of ramen always feel so plain and boring. But maybe that's because I've always regularly eaten many types of pasta. Ramen tastes a lot like spaghetti, but udon most definitely doesn't.

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #123,462 of 177,747
Is it just me or is udon much better than ramen?

I'm more of a ramen person.
Cold udon soup is really nice when it's hot outside. Soba is also alright from time to time.

Too bad I don't have any good soba/udon/ramen places near me ♥

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #123,465 of 177,747
Yeah the noodles.

Not stir fry dishes though. Yaki udon is very different from yaki soba in terms of what other ingredients go well with it.

I brainfarted when I wrote that comment.

(Reference: Rurouni Kenshin episode 29)

Oh sure! Very memorable scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back