「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Aug 3, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #121,966 of 177,745
@b1o2r3i4s5 @mechgamer123 @ThickGlasses @Tom Yum Goong @vantt1

The answer is... *drumroll*

Diva ("Blue") is the villain and Saya ("Red") is the heroine!

Some may argue that Blood+ has no villain or heroine; I beg to differ. Among Diva's crimes include raping and killing a teenage boy (later having his babies...) and attempting to exterminate/replace the human race. This more than qualifies her as a villain.

Although they are at odds with one another, they are twins nonetheless. Here is my tribute to their tragic kinship:

As a reward for your valiant efforts, I present to you the following magnificent opera piece from the series, entitled simply, "Diva". The ending is especially spectacular.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #121,967 of 177,745
  @b1o2r3i4s5 @mechgamer123 @ThickGlasses @Tom Yum Goong @vantt1

The answer is... *drumroll*

Diva ("Blue") is the villain and Saya ("Red") is the heroine!

Some may argue that Blood+ has no villain or heroine; I beg to differ. Among Diva's crimes include raping and killing a teenage boy (later having his babies...) and attempting to exterminate/replace the human race. This more than qualifies her as a villain.

Although they are at odds with one another, they are twins nonetheless. Here is my tribute to their tragic kinship:

As a reward for your valiant efforts, I present to you the following magnificent opera piece from the series, entitled simply, "Diva". The ending is especially spectacular.

I got it right!

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #121,969 of 177,745

Holy crap O_o I don't think I've ever seen my system that slow, even when rendering video. That's crazy.

It only looks laggy because it's recording the whole screen. And because I'm using a custom density that makes it look more like 1680x1050 for more screen real estate, for some weird reason it records the video in 3360x2100. Screenshots are also 3360x2100, which is a little annoying.
The Retina Display's scaled resolutions make no sense to me with regards to the true resolution of things (screenshots, videos, etc.).

That gawd-aweful full screen mode transition is friggin' slow. There's no Terminal tweak for it either unlike Mission Control (I set the delay time to 0 so I get instant responsiveness).

Also regarding audio, Macs seem to be popular because software and peripherals are all readily available, and setup is a breeze (e.g. no drivers needed for sampling rates higher than 96 kHz and things of the sort). The MIDI app thing in the Utilities folder is quite handy sometimes. It's not "better" in terms of audio on the other hand since Windows has its own audio controls with WASABI and whatnot.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #121,970 of 177,745
  Katanagatari: Yasuri is amazing and terrifying. You would be one heck of a masochist if you wanted to take her up as a girlfriend or waifu, or even an imouto.

Or just your average human sword... 
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #121,972 of 177,745

Battery drain hasn't been an issue for me. On battery I force the MBP to stick with the integrated graphics. Since the NVIDIA chip doesn't turn on I can still easily get about 8-9 hours of battery life. This is on a top tier mid-2012 MBP. Of course that's with things like BT turned off and brightness at a moderate level.

Have you removed the optical drive to make way for a system SSD and a second hard drive? If not, how often do you use the optical drive?

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #121,973 of 177,745
This isn't an extended version, it's just been put on repeat for 11 times.

This kind of music reminds me of Bramble Blast from the SSBB OST. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #121,974 of 177,745
  Have you removed the optical drive to make way for a system SSD and a second hard drive? If not, how often do you use the optical drive?

I removed the optical drive within hours of receiving the laptop. I placed it in an external enclosure and used it all of 4 or 5 times before it died on me. I now have an external blu-ray drive that I use on all of my machines when I need to run something off a disc. I'm currently running two SSDs inside the MBP. I don't like spinning discs, too noisy.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #121,975 of 177,745
  This isn't an extended version, it's just been put on repeat for 11 times.

I've only seen clips of Mirai Nikki. I do listen through video game soundtracks before playing them if it's a game I may not play, but for things I intend on spending time with, I don't like to spoil anything, so...I won't be listening to this until I watch the series.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #121,976 of 177,745
What was your opinion on the Nexus 5 again? Does it not have enough storage?

Yep. To me, 16 is too few, and the price increase to 32 is kind of hard to swallow. It is a Nexus though, so... But(t)

Short phone rant:
I also changed my mind again. Seeing that Moto X's successor should be around the corner, and Nexus 6 is kind of a thing now, and also around another corner, but I still need a new phone, I'm opting to go with a cheap phone first before graduating to the new Nexus or Moto X, depending on how they turn out. Would love to have an AMOLED-screened phone again. Love the active notification that I had years ago on my two Nokia phones.

Sigh. I was all ready to start and save money for a OPO 64, seeing as there's another grey market store selling it for cheaper. Oh well. Patience is a virtue.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #121,977 of 177,745
The Retina Display's scaled resolutions make no sense to me with regards to the true resolution of things (screenshots, videos, etc.).

That gawd-aweful full screen mode transition is friggin' slow. There's no Terminal tweak for it either unlike Mission Control (I set the delay time to 0 so I get instant responsiveness).

Also regarding audio, Macs seem to be popular because software and peripherals are all readily available, and setup is a breeze (e.g. no drivers needed for sampling rates higher than 96 kHz and things of the sort). The MIDI app thing in the Utilities folder is quite handy sometimes. It's not "better" in terms of audio on the other hand since Windows has its own audio controls with WASABI and whatnot.

I didn't see this post the last time around...

Yep, you'd think it should keep the same hardware resolution as the screen, but stuff looks relatively smaller, but that's not the case. The crispness of the retina display is great and all, but making everything look like 1440x900 @ 15" isn't that good. I'd rather it look like 1680x1050 or 1920x1200, and properly, too. Web pages for me still look like 1440x900.

That full screen thing is one thing I hope Apple will fix in Yosemite.

High-end audio hardware being readily available for the Mac is true, which indirectly makes it better for audio-related applications. Conversely, there's a lot of low end audio hardware around for PCs because of the sheer number of machines they need to support. Making hardware for just the small number of machines Apple has is easier, and drivers are a lot easier to deal with.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #121,979 of 177,745

I removed the optical drive within hours of receiving the laptop. I placed it in an external enclosure and used it all of 4 or 5 times before it died on me. I now have an external blu-ray drive that I use on all of my machines when I need to run something off a disc. I'm currently running two SSDs inside the MBP. I don't like spinning discs, too noisy.

It's a shame Apple discontinued the old 15" MBP. Sure, this new one's thinner and lighter and whatnot, but you can't do anything with the hardware. Proprietary SSD this, soldered RAM that, and to top it all off the battery is glued to the chassis so when it needs replacing, it'll be a great pain to do so.

Yep. To me, 16 is too few, and the price increase to 32 is kind of hard to swallow. It is a Nexus though, so... But(t)

Short phone rant:
I also changed my mind again. Seeing that Moto X's successor should be around the corner, and Nexus 6 is kind of a thing now, and also around another corner, but I still need a new phone, I'm opting to go with a cheap phone first before graduating to the new Nexus or Moto X, depending on how they turn out. Would love to have an AMOLED-screened phone again. Love the active notification that I had years ago on my two Nokia phones.

Sigh. I was all ready to start and save money for a OPO 64, seeing as there's another grey market store selling it for cheaper. Oh well. Patience is a virtue.

I don't know whether to buy a 128 GB MicroSD, or delete stuff I don't need off my 64 GB. $140 is pretty steep, since the 64 GB was only $53 when I got, making it less than $1/GB.

AMOLED FTW!

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #121,980 of 177,745
  It's a shame Apple discontinued the old 15" MBP. Sure, this new one's thinner and lighter and whatnot, but you can't do anything with the hardware. Proprietary SSD this, soldered RAM that, and to top it all off the battery is glued to the chassis so when it needs replacing, it'll be a great pain to do so.

Agree completely. I got the best I could at the time because I knew the non-retina MBP would be dead soon. I wanted to be able to upgrade my components at will. I eventually plan to add a bit more RAM but at the moment I only need it occasionally so it's not worth the money just yet.

I'll be hanging onto this model for as long as I can. If I have to get a new MBP any time soon then it'll be on my employer's dime. I only wish the 13" had discrete graphics when I bought mine. But the 15" isn't terribly big so I can cope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back