「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jun 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #115,306 of 177,745
It uses something called a FPGA in lieu of the traditional circuitry from vendors like Wolfson, Cirrus, ESS etc. Which, according to Tyll, is a buncha programmable transistors or something. Apparently the reason why it sounds so good is due to how many programmable tap length filters it's got. (26,000) Not that the aforementioned means anything to me. People seem to cite a removal of any sort of digital "harshness" as a reason for its sounding so natural. Now, you'd think that'd translate to rolled off highs, but apparently that isn't the case, it's just super smooth (while being highly detailed) up high or something.

Well I do know what a FPGA is, in fact, I use FPGAs quite a lot in my  line of work  field of study  hobby.
(The Xilinx spartan 6 series to be more specific)

The interesting thing about them is that they can do pretty much anything you want in the digital domain like all sorts of crazy filters or other signal treatments...
but the thing is that they are completely helpless in the analog domain, so there must be a DAC chip somewhere to convert digital to analog....

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #115,307 of 177,745
That's basically it. I haven't had a lot of experience with any premium players or DACs (just DX50, F886, ZX1, GEEK, KRAMER) but nothing seems like a clear leap above just my iPhone. And none of the aforementioned matches the ease of use on my iPhone, so I'll sacrifice a smidgens worth of SQ for absolutely better UI. I'm just hoping that the HUGO represents a large leap forward. If it doesn't, I guess I'll be a bit sad, but life will continue on and I'll be able to put that 2 grand back into my pocket

"Just"....

+1
What about sacrificing hundreds of dollar for a smidgens worth of SQ? Is that justifiable?
It seems to be for so many people here....I guess I'm just not dedicated enough to this hobby.

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #115,308 of 177,745
1. MF's gone yo.
2. You're welcome

What? 
eek.gif

mad.gif
 Yeah. Thanks bud.

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #115,309 of 177,745
INTERESTING. The Xilinx 6 is the exact chip utilized in the HUGO.

That's what I like about this thread. Lotta STEM nerds. One of you peeps needs to reverse engineer the HUGO and sell it for like 70% less. You'd make a killing

"Just"....

"What about sacrificing hundreds of dollar for a smidgens worth of SQ? Is that justifiable?
It seems to be for so many people here....I guess I'm just not dedicated enough to this hobby."

Neither am I, I guess. I've spent the last year or so fairly jaded even though I've been through countless phones. You start to realize just how little tangible improvement exists once you get to a certain point. Everyone's just paying for "refinement" at that this point.

MrViolin: I kid. Last time I heard from her, she'd been busy with writing a book. She also suffers from all number of ailments as well being just generally jaded with phones, so I take it that HF's not exactly high on her list of priorities

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #115,310 of 177,745
INTERESTING. The Xilinx 6 is the exact chip utilized in the HUGO.

That's what I like about this thread. Lotta STEM nerds. One of you peeps needs to reverse engineer the HUGO and sell it for like 70% less. You'd make a killing

Wow~ for real?
I thought they'd be using some of the more expensive chips out there (like the Xilinx 7 series or something)..... 
The "entry-level" Spartan 6 chips I'm using now only costs like $6.xx each LOL.

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #115,311 of 177,745
Wow~ for real?
I thought they'd be using some of the more expensive chips out there (like the Xilinx 7 series or something)..... 
The "entry-level" Spartan 6 chips I'm using now only costs like $6.xx each LOL.

Like I said, build me a better box with your knowhow dammit. You could be a gozillionaire

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #115,313 of 177,745
Might I ask you what you do for a living?

Full69474.jpg

wait... what? a DAC-less DAC?

It uses something called a FPGA in lieu of the traditional circuitry from vendors like Wolfson, Cirrus, ESS etc. Which, according to Tyll, is a buncha programmable transistors or something. Apparently the reason why it sounds so good is due to how many programmable tap length filters it's got. (26,000) Not that the aforementioned means anything to me. People seem to cite a removal of any sort of digital "harshness" as a reason for its sounding so natural. Now, you'd think that'd translate to rolled off highs, but apparently that isn't the case, it's just super smooth (while being highly detailed) up high or something.

I've heard about FPGAs in my EE class. Interesting stuff.

On the other hand, you just described exactly what a minimum phase filter is supposed to do, and that doesn't require some fancy circuits. lol
http://www.ayre.com/pdf/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/media/dacmagic-user-manual-english-1358174393.pdf

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #115,314 of 177,745
On the other hand, you just described exactly what a minimum phase filter is supposed to do, and that doesn't require some fancy circuits. lol
http://www.ayre.com/pdf/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/media/dacmagic-user-manual-english-1358174393.pdf

TBH, I'd say a FPGA is pretty darn fancy by itself.
wink.gif

Those filters up there are FIR digital filters, they require (relatively) high computational power to implement.
A DSP or FPGA chip is probably the most cost+power effective solution.... (unless you want to put a nGHz processor in there... core i7 anyone?)

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #115,315 of 177,745
  "Just"....

+1
What about sacrificing hundreds of dollar for a smidgens worth of SQ? Is that justifiable?
It seems to be for so many people here....I guess I'm just not dedicated enough to this hobby.

It is all relative, keep in mind that it not being justifiable to you doesn't mean it isn't to others. People place an intrisinc value in stuff they personally will value, just to note.

But on a personal note, I'm about with most of you, I don't personally find the need for minute differences to be worth the dough, it is nice, but not necessary as of right now.

But the thing with money and this capital oriented society is that such 'hobbies' and nuances of what 'is worth it' dictates how healthy an economy and society is by its ability for people to actively buy,and keep a market afloat.

It's just business, socio-economic relations is all. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #115,317 of 177,745
  Steam Summer Sale incomming soon 
biggrin.gif

cue Heavy Breathing Gif

"Steam" sale

Zero no Tsukaima F saw a noticeable increase in animation quality than previous seasons.

Someone brought in a working 3DS (broken top screen) for recycling. 

Hmm, shoud I fix it, then sell it, or keep it for Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies and Fire Emblem: Awakening?

431842-c79f75bc-ec6c-11e3-bb45-046f3d36ad52.jpg

431422-c861c568-ec6c-11e3-bb45-046f3d36ad52.jpg

431448-c9268f42-ec6c-11e3-bb45-046f3d36ad52.jpg

431894-c9c817a4-ec6c-11e3-bb45-046f3d36ad52.jpg
japan1.jpg

japan2.jpg

japan3.jpg
It's a culture thing.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #115,318 of 177,745
I read the wiki after Panda brought it up yesterday, pretty amazing what the community did for the guy(if it's a true story that is) I think I'll go rewatch it when this season's animes end.

It wouldn't at the least surprise if it is true. Most of the time I spend in Japan I have similar tales of general weirdness that could only happen in Japan.

Example, I popped on a Facebook page dedicated to Tama-chan, the Station Master cat for an article I was writing for the Washington Post, odd news column. I got in a side conversation with another used for a couple of weeks. All I knew about her was she was from the UK, loved cats, and hoped to someday see Tama-chan. At that time, I had plans on going back to Japan for work anytime in the foreseeable future.

Time went on, and I totally forgot about the FB page as, well there was no more conversation to be held. Didn't even know the woman's name. A year later, I ended up in Osaka for business, and while there, a friend of mine called me and invited me to her farm about an hour from where Tama-chan lived in a city outside of Wakayama.

After visiting my friend's family farm, I hopped a train for Kishi to see the Stationmaster Cat. At that time the station was torn down for renovation and the caretakers for the cat stated the cat was in their private home and to come back a few hours later. So, as a train buff, I hopped a local train and randomly got off up the line to take pictures. Hopped back on the Strawberry Densha, which was totally empty, except for two gaijin at the front of the train.

This in its own was really odd, seeing two foreigners on a remote railway line a hundred miles from Osaka, in the middle of the Wakayama countryside. So, they spotted the only other white guy to been seen in days and started chatting. They were heading to Kishi to see Tama-chan. Turns out they were from the UK.

Long story short, the husband went on to say his wife drags him all over the planet to see famous cats. Ends up the woman who was on this train, was the very same woman I had talked too over a year prior on the FB page.

Most every experience I have ever had in Japan has fallen along those lines; something that I can not say about any other country I have had to travel to. 

So, going back to the original quote, I can completely and totally see, the tale of Densha Otoko being spot on real.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #115,319 of 177,745
  "Steam" sale

Zero no Tsukaima F saw a noticeable increase in animation quality than previous seasons.

Someone brought in a working 3DS (broken top screen) for recycling. 

Hmm, shoud I fix it, then sell it, or keep it for Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies and Fire Emblem: Awakening?

japan1.jpg

japan2.jpg

japan3.jpg
It's a culture thing.

Not fully, culture is not the same as modern societal teachings and functions.

There are massive problems with comparasons like this when done on a 'historian view' way. Most of which mainly considers the industrialization and modernization of the two country's, the effect of how the West and USA made a lasting impact on country's today, what it even truly means to be a modern nation, and if the outlook of a modern nation is truly the only just outcome, and the idea of what is truly right and just.

It wouldn't at the least surprise if it is true. Most of the time I spend in Japan I have similar tales of general weirdness that could only happen in Japan.

Example, I popped on a Facebook page dedicated to Tama-chan, the Station Master cat for an article I was writing for the Washington Post, odd news column. I got in a side conversation with another used for a couple of weeks. All I knew about her was she was from the UK, loved cats, and hoped to someday see Tama-chan. At that time, I had plans on going back to Japan for work anytime in the foreseeable future.

Time went on, and I totally forgot about the FB page as, well there was no more conversation to be held. Didn't even know the woman's name. A year later, I ended up in Osaka for business, and while there, a friend of mine called me and invited me to her farm about an hour from where Tama-chan lived in a city outside of Wakayama.

After visiting my friend's family farm, I hopped a train for Kishi to see the Stationmaster Cat. At that time the station was torn down for renovation and the caretakers for the cat stated the cat was in their private home and to come back a few hours later. So, as a train buff, I hopped a local train and randomly got off up the line to take pictures. Hopped back on the Strawberry Densha, which was totally empty, except for two gaijin at the front of the train.

This in its own was really odd, seeing two foreigners on a remote railway line a hundred miles from Osaka, in the middle of the Wakayama countryside. So, they spotted the only other white guy to been seen in days and started chatting. They were heading to Kishi to see Tama-chan. Turns out they were from the UK.

Long story short, the husband went on to say his wife drags him all over the planet to see famous cats. Ends up the woman who was on this train, was the very same woman I had talked too over a year prior on the FB page.

Most every experience I have ever had in Japan has fallen along those lines; something that I can not say about any other country I have had to travel to. 

So, going back to the original quote, I can completely and totally see, the tale of Densha Otoko being spot on real.

Welcome to the thread, no need to always catch up, just post.

I remember reading about Tama chan lol

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #115,320 of 177,745

Not fully, culture is not the same as modern societal teachings and functions.

There are massive problems with comparasons like this when done on a 'historian view' way. Most of which mainly considers the industrialization and modernization of the two country's, the effect of how the West and USA made a lasting impact on country's today, what it even truly means to be a modern nation, and if the outlook of a modern nation is truly the only just outcome, and the idea of what is truly right and just.

OK then

japan1.jpg

japan2.jpg

japan3.jpg
It's a culture modern societal teachings and functions thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back