「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Apr 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #71,522 of 177,745
Quote:
I just don't really like English songs in general. Not really arbitrary, is it? Nothing against good instrumentals.

The language or just the bland lyrics?
Not directed to anyone, just reminded of an old post 
 Quote:
[size=13.333333969116211px]Quote:[/size]
[size=13.333333969116211px]
Of course, this only matters to people who actually give a damn about the actual meaning of the songs, and those who only listen to music as some kind of sonic wallpaper--they really couldn't care less. To people who mainly listen to mainstream pop songs, this also isn't that important, because mainstream pop songs have the absolute worst lyrics in all genres of music. Fact is, many people who do listen to mainstream pop songs in other languages only do so because they don't have to be suffer the crass/shallow lyrics that sound like middle-school kids wrote them. So maybe it's a good thing we don't all speak the same language. :D
[/size]
[size=13.333333969116211px] Very intuitive. Most people try to avoid this whenever I bring it up to them...but it is so evidently the case a great deal of the time. It's almost as they were completely xenophobic towards english songs as a whole, but their taste towards songs with asian lyrics they approve of aren't exactly a huge departure from the English songs they hide from and find cheesy. A lack of interest in music is a lack of interest in music, no matter how one may try and hide from that.[/size]

Quote:
Yooo I almost fell asleep listening to that. ~5.75 minutes long... >.>

I'm sorry didn't realize you were in the mood for something longer.

Hooray more mainstream depressing long-winded music.

I have to be completely serious here if that's not mainstream I don't know know what the heck is.

A bit more energy with Deli Spice you happy I brought some bangerz out to be playing dat b-ball with /endmastertroll

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #71,524 of 177,745
Apr 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #71,525 of 177,745
Quote:
Not directed to anyone, just reminded of an old post 
 Quote:

I'm sorry didn't realize you were in the mood for something longer.

Hooray more mainstream depressing long-winded music.

I have to be completely serious here if that's not mainstream I don't know know what the heck is.

A bit more energy with Deli Spice you happy I brought some bangerz out to be playing dat b-ball with /endmastertroll

Both, but more of the latter. English isn't a language where you can express emotions very effectively and quickly. I find the content of even the good songs to be rather limited, and the reason why they're good is the use of powerful words that evoke strong emotions.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #71,526 of 177,745
Quote:

I would say the language:

1. I understand English subconsciously. If I lose focus I don't understand Japanese. That means I can tune out lyrics much easier when I need to focus on something else, but still understand lyrics when I want to. 

2. English just isn't a musical language to me. Japanese is very melodic due to lack of ending consonants and limited vowel sounds. Korean has its own charm, but I'm a bigger fan of Japanese for vocals. K-Pop in general is nicer in a lot of respects because the J-Pop industry is too focused on a limited niche in the domestic market (think AKB48). At its best, I think J-Pop > K-Pop, but for a "typical" song K-Pop > J-Pop. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #71,527 of 177,745
Quote:
I would say the language:

1. I understand English subconsciously. If I lose focus I don't understand Japanese. That means I can tune out lyrics much easier when I need to focus on something else, but still understand lyrics when I want to. 

2. English just isn't a musical language to me. Japanese is very melodic due to lack of ending consonants and limited vowel sounds. Korean has its own charm, but I'm a bigger fan of Japanese for vocals. K-Pop in general is nicer in a lot of respects because the J-Pop industry is too focused on a limited niche in the domestic market (think AKB48). At its best, I think J-Pop > K-Pop, but for a "typical" song K-Pop > J-Pop. 

Don't fret. There's still good J-Pop artists out there.

And I agree on Japanese sounding very melodic, almost lyrical.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #71,528 of 177,745
Quote:

http://coalgirls.wakku.to/faq/playback/compiling-mpv-on-mac-os-x
Ridiculously good player. Last update was just....boom shaka laka fantastic baby.

I never have luck with compiling stuff..... (maybe it's because I have no idea what I'm doing and just blindly following instructions.)
and the ready built mpv only works with sandy bridge or newer (which I don't have.)

One of these days Ill probably screw up my computer trying to compile stuff......

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #71,530 of 177,745
Quote:

I never have luck with compiling stuff..... (maybe it's because I have no idea what I'm doing and just blindly following instructions.)
and the ready built mpv only works with sandy bridge or newer (which I don't have.)

One of these days Ill probably screw up my computer trying to compile stuff......

It's easier than the cruft I have to shift through on Arch - at least the build is optimized (not talking about architecture but feature sets compiled in) on your end. And homebrew-mpv looks really really easy to do. Most likely you'll need no background knowledge.

Also regular mplayer2 builds if you want -  https://code.google.com/p/mplayerosx-builds/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back