「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Aug 20, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #167,824 of 177,747
Beautiful Color!

...see Tidds, you should have gotten nep phones. 

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #167,825 of 177,747
I dragged my aspiring animator friend who is in dire need of new headphones/IEMs into a local audio shop.

I made him wait on a hot summer day, as I was late, just to Rick Roll him with a pair of HD 800 headphones. Then we abused the store by sitting in there, listening to different high end headphones for 2 entire hours until the shop owners kicked us out.

I have officially ended this friend's audio life by showing him how little a multiple thousand dollar headphone scales compared to my modded 90 USD used headphones plus some EQ. He will never become an audiophile and purchase expensive headphones ever again.

Now he can focus on learning to animate so one day, I will enjoy epic animated fights like this, but animated by one person and one person only:

https://giphy.com/gifs/3oz8xwk0nyqAxjy9IQ

May his quick 10 min sketches be like this someday:

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEjI5bD6MeTTsfx9C/200.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #167,826 of 177,747
I made him wait on a hot summer day, as I was late, just to Rick Roll him with a pair of HD 800 headphones. Then we abused the store by sitting in there, listening to different high end headphones for 2 entire hours until the shop owners kicked us out.

What kind of shop kicks you out?
I was at Jaben and Headfonia yesterday and they let me audition stuffs for hours. Well, the people are nice to chat with too though.

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #167,827 of 177,747
  Beautiful Color!

...see Tidds, you should have gotten nep phones. 

I ain't buying degraded Neps.

I have pestered countless poor attendants in audiophool shops, even accompanying new mates and I've never once been kicked out.

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #167,828 of 177,747
  \(^_^)/

How good is the finish on yours? Mine is borderline unacceptable.
Pics:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/788776/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review/8265#post_12802766

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #167,829 of 177,747

Got my 3.5 jack finally on the AD500X. Was frought with difficulties from step one ...
1) Finding a suitable decent jack
2) wanted to swap to AD2000X drivers but the service center refuses to sell so ... 
3) had to cut out part of the baffle to accommodate the jack
4) the plastic part that hides the wiring has to be modified to fit the jack and the wires
5) I forgot the original wiring entirely
6) i was testing and wondering why the left side has sound but not the right side ... long story.

Wasted my whole night thanks to a DAC :xf_mad:

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #167,830 of 177,747
  I dragged my aspiring animator friend who is in dire need of new headphones/IEMs into a local audio shop.

I have officially ended this friend's audio life by showing him how little a multiple thousand dollar headphone scales compared to my modded 90 USD used headphones plus some EQ. He will never become an audiophile and purchase expensive headphones ever again.

Now he can focus on learning to animate so one day, I will enjoy epic animated fights like this, but done by one person and one person only:

https://giphy.com/gifs/3oz8xwk0nyqAxjy9IQ

May his quick 10 min sketches be like this someday:

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEjI5bD6MeTTsfx9C/200.gif

GJ man!

How good is the finish on yours? Mine is borderline unacceptable.
Pics:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/788776/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review/8265#post_12802766

I didn't find anything particularly wrong with mine besides the corners of the 2 aluminum blocks being a bit sharp
the gloss finish is a bit hazy as you've mentioned but it doesn't really bother me that much...

upon further careful inspection under a light, I did in fact find some uneven lacquering on the left earcup.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #167,832 of 177,747

Got my 3.5 jack finally on the AD500X. Was frought with difficulties from step one ...
1) Finding a suitable decent jack
2) wanted to swap to AD2000X drivers but the service center refuses to sell so ... 
3) had to cut out part of the baffle to accommodate the jack
4) the plastic part that hides the wiring has to be modified to fit the jack and the wires
5) I forgot the original wiring entirely
6) i was testing and wondering why the left side has sound but not the right side ... long story.

Wasted my whole night thanks to a DAC :xf_mad:

Nice!

If only I had the guts to do the same...I swear those stock cables are evil and are trying to strangle me every time...

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #167,834 of 177,747
What kind of shop kicks you out?
I was at Jaben and Headfonia yesterday and they let me audition stuffs for hours. Well, the people are nice to chat with too though.

Here's an idea of what we were doing. I brought my headphones/IEMs, laptop, dac/amp and multiple phones, otg cables and battery packs. Basically my home and mobile setup. Walked in, took up their listening room, poped out a soda, and started picking out every headphone I saw worthy of letting my friend listen to, including those that were locked up so the workers there had to constantly unlock the displays to take out/place in headphones. Then I proceeded to do listening tests with different dacs, amps, phones, eq and dsp plugins while chilling on the shop's only sofa for over 2 hours. Basically I was a jerk and took advantage of their shop. :p

The guys there are nice and they won't mind me staying to listen even after their closing hours. In fact, one, the person told me to take my time even though the store officially closed. I ended up chatting with him quite a bit.

This time, he asked in a joking tone if we were ever going to finish, as it's crazy we just sat on their couch for 2 hours. That has never happened before. :p

I take it as a polite way of saying they want us to leave, as we may be making ourselves too comfortable, maybe even disturbing their shop with our chatter. I still feel screwing guilty. :frowning2:

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #167,835 of 177,747
At Yaoi-con I had a few customers that became regulars to our booth. One was pretty particular and probably spent half of the con at our table. She had money the first day and bought a ton of books, second day she bought a few things, last day she was out of money. She still didn't leave us alone and coming back to chill but she was blocking access to others from looking at books. She in particular really wanted to talk to me while I was trying to sell books. I made up an excuse that I needed to go talk to my coworker at the other end of the booth and she followed me~

The first day of con usually goes pretty fast in the beginning for vendors. The second is kinda mixed and can have some peaks in the day. Last day is getting rid of the stuff we don't want to bring home so we slash prices on every thing or do bundle deals. My energy levels in the start of a con is high and by the last day my lack of sleep, poor eating, exhausted adrenaline wrecks me.

Be nice to your audio stores and remember to spend lots of monies there to keep them interested in headphones~

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back