「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Apr 4, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #165,196 of 177,744

This. well exceeded my expectations.

Yeah same for me, but looks like it will be heavier than I thought...

@ Macross Delta ep1

wot dat dejavu of AKB0048.. mecha action is nice though, especially MC's dance

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #165,199 of 177,744
Currently assembling parts for my next PC build...

Seriously considering if I should wait for Nvidia Pascal offers or just get a Quadro m4000 now.
What do you guys think...?

and this is awesome, I'm super excited about that 0.25% discount!
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #165,200 of 177,744

Seriously considering if I should wait for Nvidia Pascal offers or just get a Quadro m4000 now.

biggrin.gif

That's a effin' server holy S

Ok I really like the first ep

☑ Silver hair girl
☑ Adorable loli
☑ Furry
☑ Not annoying protag
☑ Potential armpit
☑ Flat chest
☑ (not yet annoying) Tsun
☑ Sexy enemy

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #165,206 of 177,744

biggrin.gif

...Meanwhile I'll probably be shopping for a new PC around next week, but my budget is around only $800 (including the OS, since I don't have access to Dreamspark anymore and all the Win7 licenses at home are probably OEM).
I mean, I have a backlog, so I'll probably start with it and I'll be fine with that machine for a while - just as long as I won't compare myself to others.

Speaking of kinda Kaede clones:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/97292/Tejina-senpai

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #165,207 of 177,744
  ...Meanwhile I'll probably be shopping for a new PC around next week, but my budget is around only $800 (including the OS, since I don't have access to Dreamspark anymore and all the Win7 licenses at home are probably OEM).
I mean, I have a backlog, so I'll probably start with it and I'll be fine with that machine for a while - just as long as I won't compare myself to others.

Buy the right tool for the right job, I guess.
That single machine will be my Firewall, Backup server, File server, Compute cloud, Windows workstation, Gaming rig, and Linux workstation at the same time.
All running on a Type-1 Hypervisor for me to access remotely, I couldn't care less about benchmarks as long as it gets the work done.

@Hundred

Is this gonna be like Juuou Mujin no Fafnir?
Keep em' harem shows comin' :D

Hayato should've done the phoenix wright "objection!" at the opening ceremony
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #165,208 of 177,744
  Buy the right tool for the right job, I guess.
That single machine will be my Firewall, Backup server, File server, Compute cloud, Windows workstation, Gaming rig, and Linux workstation at the same time.
All running on a Type-1 Hypervisor for me to access remotely, I couldn't care less about benchmarks as long as it gets the work done.

You could probably build like 3-4 decent PC's for that money. I'd hate to see everything grind to a halt when a fault develops.

Ehhhh 4k+ is a lot of money but not if you stretch it out to 5+ years or so, it just hurts in terms of value.

If you make money with your computer go for it, if you're a hobbyist with absolutely no better ways to spend/invest the money go for it, otherwise you should think about getting 80% of the performance for 30% the price or something. I wonder if a 5820k rig will do?

I probably shouldn't be one to talk because I've spent quite a lot of money on my lab, but then again it helps pay the bills so it's kinda sorta okay. XD

@Accoun

The rig I built a few weeks back was around USD873 without OS, you might be able to get something similar unless prices over in your neck of the woods are insane, which they probably are. I did have to wait for a few sales though. Wasn't Windows 10 free as long as you're on the insider builds?

cpu i5-6400 - $211.11
gpu evga 970 - $398.24
$609.35 (ebay kogan)

mobo h110 - $94
ram 2x8gb - $104
$198 (msy)

ssd 850 evo 250gb - $115.20
$115.20 (ebay futu)

psu seasonic g 450 - $119
case corsair 200R - $85
shipping&fee $16.83
$220.83 (mwave)

Total - $1143.38 or USD873

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #165,209 of 177,744
  spent the last few days googling cloud computing solutions for personal use, came to a conclusion that I should just pay a few grands to build my own cloud because hosted solutions are way too expensive.....
frown.gif

I also started a Hentai@Home node at AWS because I don't know what else to do with my $50 educational credits and 1 year free tier usage need to evaluate their services for potential deployments in the future.
tongue.gif

Dang.....don't know what you are doing to come to a conclusion that you need a few grand in just parts costs for a server

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #165,210 of 177,744

You could probably build like 3-4 decent PC's for that money. I'd hate to see everything grind to a halt when a fault develops.

Ehhhh 4k+ is a lot of money but not if you stretch it out to 5+ years or so, it just hurts in terms of value.

If you make money with your computer go for it, if you're a hobbyist with absolutely no better ways to spend/invest the money go for it, otherwise you should think about getting 80% of the performance for 30% the price or something. I wonder if a 5820k rig will do?

I probably shouldn't be one to talk because I've spent quite a lot of money on my lab, but then again it helps pay the bills so it's kinda sorta okay. XD

I guess having this for a software developer would be like having a stockpiles of spare parts.
it doesn't really generate money directly but if you've ever got an idea, you can easily try it out without much hassle.
That and 1 high-end computer can be used as many low-ends ones but it doesn't work the other way around.

Though I should probably ask if any of my friends wanna pitch in on this because I won't be using all compute resources at all times.

Dang.....don't know what you are doing to come to a conclusion that you need a few grand in just parts costs for a server

Mainly cloud gaming (I'm a laptop user and probably always will be)
Also stuff like media processing / analysis, waifu2x and other neuro net programs.
(media = Anime, CGs, Anisongs/OSTs)

Since we're on the topic, check out whatanime.ga
It's an anime image reverse lookup tool developed by a friend of mine.
It works by indexing frames from thousands of anime and looking up those hashes from a search server (don't remember if he used elastic search or solr).
Be warned that a lot of hentai OVAs are also indexed in that same database.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back