☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Jul 20, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #2,251 of 5,932
  Hi guys, part one of the Liquid Carbon review just went live on headphone guru 5 minutes ago

Please read and i hope you enjoy

http://headphone.guru/the-cavalli-audio-liquid-carbon-part-i/

Thanks!

Strange reading a review knowing I won't have the amp for another month after ordering 3 months ago.

Nice background info on Alex and the business.

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #2,252 of 5,932

Interesting, I did a quick search and it looks like the balanced out for the -dB is Foxconn/RSA.  Was he using a RSA to XLR cable? 

Maybe the WyWires interconnect with the special grounding?  Alex did mention he was working with them....

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #2,254 of 5,932

Yea... but it still looks slick.... We can hope

To paraphrase my previous comment on it:  I think the carbon fiber looks cheezy and out of place on an amplifier and I'd be less inclined to purchase it if he changed it to look like that.  I think the matte black is understated in a classy way and I hope he doesn't change it.

As always, YMMV.  :)

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #2,255 of 5,932
It could be Hello Kitty themed, and I would still be happy....

...as long as it sounds good.

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #2,256 of 5,932
  Hi guys, part one of the Liquid Carbon review just went live on headphone guru 5 minutes ago

Please read and i hope you enjoy

http://headphone.guru/the-cavalli-audio-liquid-carbon-part-i/

When does the rest get posted?

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,258 of 5,932

To paraphrase my previous comment on it:  I think the carbon fiber looks cheezy and out of place on an amplifier and I'd be less inclined to purchase it if he changed it to look like that.  I think the matte black is understated in a classy way and I hope he doesn't change it.

As always, YMMV.  :)

Haha I agree with you
cool.gif

I'd hate for it to be Hello Kitty themed. Not because I wouldn't enjoy it, but because my wife would steal it from me and I'd be forced to buy a second.

This would happen to me, my wife has a whole collection of Hello Kitty in our room. It sucks! haha
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #2,259 of 5,932
When does the rest get posted?

I'm hoping as soon as possible. It's up to the publishing heads but I'll be asking to have the rest go live as soon as possible.

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #2,260 of 5,932
I'm hoping as soon as possible. It's up to the publishing heads but I'll be asking to have the rest go live as soon as possible.

It is like leading a horse to water but not letting it drink. lol 

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #2,263 of 5,932

I'd hate for it to be Hello Kitty themed. Not because I wouldn't enjoy it, but because my wife would steal it from me and I'd be forced to buy a second.

Same here Brian! She'd swipe it in a second (my wife, that is). 

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #2,264 of 5,932
  I had a few brief conversations with Alex yesterday at the SF HeadFi meet, and he told me that they're near reaching the 500 cap limit, but no matter how many ways I tried to 'twist' him, he would only tell me that they're getting close. He also re-iterated what I've read, that after this batch they're not sure if they will continue production nor how much the price will be. Also when asking him about the circuitry, I recall him mentioning something along the lines of "discreet circuitry" and how it uses no op-amps for a cleaner sound. Sadly my memory is hazy on the exact wording but if somebody wants to elaborate on those points that would be a great read!

Absolutely. Now the sound of this amp is something that will not fade from my memory! 
Instantly, the sound from this amp gave me a super surreal feeling of spine-tingling energy! Somehow I fairly quickly came up with these words to describe the LC's sound performance: It has the energy of a tube amp, but the detail of a solid state. Knowing this isn't a tube amp, what I meant is that the sound this produces seems slightly skewed towards the sound you would expect from a TOTL tube amp in terms of energy / organic lifelike-ness / lushness, but with all the detail you could expect from a great solid state amp. It seemed like the sounds were "always out of your head", and I meant this in a good way. I tested it out with the Ether headphones and my Sennheiser HD 650's, and especially with the 650's I seemed to always get a sound in which each instrument was pristinely placed in it's proper position of the soundstage, almost so that nothing sounded like it was coming from any 1-dimensional place! 
darthsmile.gif
. It accurately reproduced the frequency response low to high, was very lifelike and ever so slightly leaning towards 'musical', had paranormally good soundstage, and maybe what I liked even the most was the impact 'slam' how it handled the likes of drums in a pleasing way. Warren and myself both seemed to agree this is the best amp under $2,000.

PS- the LC amp was also being fed music from a "Cypher Labs Algorhythms Solo -db" DAC, connected to it with TOTL balanced cables,  and was using a sort of electrically shielded power chord as thick as a snake, which I'm sure had influence on how it sounded so amazing.

Edit: I initially tried it with the Ether headphones and I preferred the 650's for some fantastic synergy.

Wow, this has me excited. I'm quite satisfied with the Crack with my HD650s, but wanted to try a very good solid state amp, as well to have something that may be more compatible with future HPs, but sounds like the 650s and the LC are quite a match themself.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #2,265 of 5,932
Hope things are on track for that late August estimate. I've heard some really great things about the Liquid Carbon's performance from a friend who is close to Cavalli. Really can't wait. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back