☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run!
May 23, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #601 of 1,260

If I understand this correctly, I now see why you implied connecting the TRS to the RCA input of the LC in addition to the TRRS balanced on the AKs.
- The ground of the RCA input and the Pin No 1. at the XLR inputs are common on the LC.

They're not actually common.

Oddly enough, connecting them together solves the noise problem on the SE outputs on the first edition amplifiers.

To be 'correct' the ground reference from the DAP needs to be wired to Pin 1 of the XLRs.

However, I made up a cable to connect the balanced output of my Onkyo DP-X1 to the LC and my experience is that it makes no difference whatsoever whether the ground reference is connected or not.

May 23, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #602 of 1,260
I'd love to see what you come up with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately I'm terrible with soldering. No time to practice.

I know Alex had a dialog with the owner of WyWires to make an affordable solution.  I believe it was for the RSA connector, but the TRRS is the same 4 wires so should be quite similar solution.

But with all that's been said, the phase splitter works wonders.  Don't be afraid to go that route.  I haven't used a balanced input yet, and I'm in no hurry to do so.

May 23, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #603 of 1,260
I know Alex had a dialog with the owner of WyWires to make an affordable solution.  I believe it was for the RSA connector, but the TRRS is the same 4 wires so should be quite similar solution.

But with all that's been said, the phase splitter works wonders.  Don't be afraid to go that route.  I haven't used a balanced input yet, and I'm in no hurry to do so.

I have no concerns using the SE Input, I use the DAC-19, and have reported many times it sounds great! I'm just always curious to see what others come up with.

May 23, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #604 of 1,260
I was thinking of upgrading the Bi-Frost, I had it Uberfied last July under a warranty repair! It's a shame I it did not break down JUST a bit later. I should be able to spring for the Multi-bit upgrade. The only thing that does make me wonder, is the Z review of the Schiit Multi-bit upgrade, you can watch it on YT. He does what seems to me to be a very fair review and A/B test but I am hardly an expert, no need to post it here as this is not the right place. They may say YMMV but it may be the cheapest alternative right now as a decent balanced DAC is just going to cost a lot more than the upgrade to the Bi-Frost! 

I am 100% sure I will hear a change when I switch amps. After going to a lot of head-fi meets using my own cans I have heard the difference between the balanced and unbalanced. Maybe even that is over-rated because the gear was better but I am sure this upgrade is more than very discernible and that alone makes my hard earned money well spent! 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #607 of 1,260
  I was thinking of upgrading the Bi-Frost, I had it Uberfied last July under a warranty repair! It's a shame I it did not break down JUST a bit later. I should be able to spring for the Multi-bit upgrade. The only thing that does make me wonder, is the Z review of the Schiit Multi-bit upgrade, you can watch it on YT. He does what seems to me to be a very fair review and A/B test but I am hardly an expert, no need to post it here as this is not the right place. They may say YMMV but it may be the cheapest alternative right now as a decent balanced DAC is just going to cost a lot more than the upgrade to the Bi-Frost! 

I am 100% sure I will hear a change when I switch amps. After going to a lot of head-fi meets using my own cans I have heard the difference between the balanced and unbalanced. Maybe even that is over-rated because the gear was better but I am sure this upgrade is more than very discernible and that alone makes my hard earned money well spent! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I have no clue about what happened with that Z review, not do I care to dig into it. My personal experience is that the multibit upgrade was very substantial for the music I listen to (mainly modern jazz, lots of ECM recordings, as well as classical baroque and modern). After the upgrade, transients, such as from drums and especially cymbals, were cleaner, better delineated in time, space, and frequency. The one further improvement I got recently was from a better USB source, the Sonore microRendu, which helped the Bimby to get a bit more precise. I'm just now listening to my pretty decent speaker system (Synology NAS>Sonicorbiter SE>Bel Canto mLink>Bel Canto C7R>KEF Reference 1) in a room with fair acoustics, and I must say that my headphone system (Synology NAS>Sonore microRendu>Bifrost Multibit>Asgard 2>MrSpeakers Alpha Prime) tops it in the clarity department. The headroom I found in the Bimby>Asgard 2 combo when I fed it from a better digital source was quite surprising. In other words, the Bimby will do a lot more for you if it is driven by a cleaner digital source. I suspect that Z and others who have shrugged Schitt multibit are just running mediocre digital sources that inject cr*ppy signals into those amazing DACs. I can't for the life of me understand why digital audio fanatics continue to feed high-quality DACs with off-the-shelf (or even modded) commodity computers that are electrical noise and jitter farms. I've got great value from segregating music storage into a NAS and streaming into a small, dedicated device, the microRendu with a Teddy Pardo PS being the latest and best of those.

May 24, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #608 of 1,260
  I have no clue about what happened with that Z review, not do I care to dig into it. My personal experience is that the multibit upgrade was very substantial for the music I listen to (mainly modern jazz, lots of ECM recordings, as well as classical baroque and modern). After the upgrade, transients, such as from drums and especially cymbals, were cleaner, better delineated in time, space, and frequency. The one further improvement I got recently was from a better USB source, the Sonore microRendu, which helped the Bimby to get a bit more precise. I'm just now listening to my pretty decent speaker system (Synology NAS>Sonicorbiter SE>Bel Canto mLink>Bel Canto C7R>KEF Reference 1) in a room with fair acoustics, and I must say that my headphone system (Synology NAS>Sonore microRendu>Bifrost Multibit>Asgard 2>MrSpeakers Alpha Prime) tops it in the clarity department. The headroom I found in the Bimby>Asgard 2 combo when I fed it from a better digital source was quite surprising. In other words, the Bimby will do a lot more for you if it is driven by a cleaner digital source. I suspect that Z and others who have shrugged Schitt multibit are just running mediocre digital sources that inject cr*ppy signals into those amazing DACs. I can't for the life of me understand why digital audio fanatics continue to feed high-quality DACs with off-the-shelf (or even modded) commodity computers that are electrical noise and jitter farms. I've got great value from segregating music storage into a NAS and streaming into a small, dedicated device, the microRendu with a Teddy Pardo PS being the latest and best of those.

I have an HD desktop with JRiver driving the USB connection to my BF Multi-Bit, Asgard 2, and HD650 headphones.  When I bought the MB I flipped my BF Uber to my Xbox 360 where I stream through a Denon 3300 and a pair of B&W CDM 1SE +SW.  It all sounds good to me, but through headphones, I believe the Multi-bit really to be special.  I recently ordered an upgrade Cavalli Liquid Carbon to take it higher.  In regard to the Z review, my viewing, and reading of the subsequent comments, as someone with a small Schitt stack, I felt I had entered enemy territory, and their experience certainly did not reconcile with my own.  The smell of personal agenda, I thought, was present.

May 26, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #609 of 1,260
Who the heck gives their Cavalli Liquid Carbon to Goodwill?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cavalli-Liquid-Carbon-Audiophile-Headphone-Stereo-Amplifier-Made-in-USA-Works-/311619822730?hash=item488dfd248a:g:KbYAAOSwBPNXRdBp

Personally, I have my doubts it even works. 

May 26, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #610 of 1,260
  Who the heck gives their Cavalli Liquid Carbon to Goodwill?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cavalli-Liquid-Carbon-Audiophile-Headphone-Stereo-Amplifier-Made-in-USA-Works-/311619822730?hash=item488dfd248a:g:KbYAAOSwBPNXRdBp

Personally, I have my doubts it even works. 

Sadly, it was most likely a donation made by someone who doesn't know what they have.  Which might mean we have one less person in the Liquid Carbon Club.....
frown.gif

May 26, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #611 of 1,260
May 26, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #612 of 1,260
I guess it's probably a stolen unit.
Seller has no idea about price at this point I guess.

Did someone loose a LC

-Aj

May 26, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #613 of 1,260
Totally stolen!!
I guess it's probably a stolen unit.
Seller has no idea about price at this point I guess.

Did someone loose a LC

-Aj

You're right, that's gotta be stolen! No way that ends up at a Goodwill, especially with such rock-solid resale value.

May 26, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #615 of 1,260
Goodwill only accepts donations.  They are not a pawn shop...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back