I will be amping my Hugo with the tu-05 once my Hugo arrives. Will also compare the Hugo directly to the ZX1.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW Chord Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PCM & DSD audio, Portable and Desktop amplifier,... Last post on 4/19/14 at 8:43am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- NEW Chord Electronics Hugo USB DAC headphone amp for PSD and DSD Audio - Portable and Desktop,... Last post on 6/16/14 at 7:04am in Moon Audio Premier Sponsor Forum
- CHORD HUGO preview report Last post on 5/21/14 at 1:37pm in Sasaki
- Chord Electronics Hugo reference-grade DAC/headphone amp - coming Jan 2014 Last post on 12/9/13 at 1:43pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Chord Hugo to go (Portable DSD DAC/Amp) Last post on 1/5/14 at 3:50am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/24/14
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
Chord Hugo - Page 11
So Chord RCA's don't fit?! Do the holes need to be much bigger? Ahrgh.. I hoped that i could avoid it.. but now I know that I have to do some metal work on the Hugo's casing..
If it weren't for the optical volume wheel, I'd be tempted to make a lower-profile case for the Hugo (when I can eventually afford one)
I've now downloaded all the DSD128 samplers from 2L and I'm playing them back using my ipad mini with the Onkyo HF Player. I also got them showing up as purple to start with, then changed the settings to DoP within the app and now the LED is white. I got the 24/96 equivalents as well to compare them, but the FLAC files use metadata to identify the song, and the DSD files use the filename so I can't match them up. I don't know if that's a 2L thing or an Onkyo thing. Despite that it was far easier to get DSD working on the ipad than doing the same thing previously on my PC.
I've discovered that either the Onkyo app or the Hugo raises the volume slowly after I've switched from DSD (HD tab) to mp3 (ipod tab). I know why it's doing it, but I'm not sure why it waits for the next song to start and then does it slowly and audibly during the first few seconds. The Hugo is also sounding a little bright now, regardless of input or file type, which is a big no-no for me. I really hope the sound balances out again.
If the amp section is already up for the job to drive ciem, I dont think adding another portable amp will make a "day and nite" difference...
I could be wrong...
That's my thought as well, the only RCAs that might fit the Hugo look to be the Ultraplate from Kimber...
I'm using HD800s. I've had problems with brightness in almost everything I've tried so far (source and amp wise) which I eventually traced to noise on my mains supply. The brightness occurs most on weekday tea times and then goes away later. It's part of the reason I went with the Hugo as I can run it off the grid. Both iPad and Hugo were on battery last night, but now I think about it the Hugo was electrically connected to devices that were plugged into a regenerator, which was then plugged into the wall. It may be that, or it may just be me (something I ate affecting my hearing), but the system had been rich and ballsy up to that point so I was a little taken aback. If the sound is back to normal over the weekend then it's not a Hugo issue. I have my fingers crossed!
My iPod and phone have never sounded bright, even with the HD800s, but then their treble isn't the most extended. I've never listened to them whilst plugged into the mains.
Edited by Stormfriend - 2/7/14 at 12:50am
The name is terrible... sorry but I like my ''groan jokes'' to be few and far in-between, one offs and definitely far away from devices that cost in excess of £1000.
The volume is a concern, how do you put something in your pocket and mess with it like that... from what I see you rotate the colourful circle thingy?
Edited by Goldlion973 - 2/7/14 at 6:27am
Worried that you might be questioned if you're standing on the train twirling your fingers around a large bulk in your pocket.... is very strange that they thought to go that route with its ideal being a portable one... glad they mentioned bluetooth, could have been left out as the technology obviously isn't ready for audio yet.... thinking I'll wait for the next version before going all out on this, not sure if I'll consider the AK240 to go with it or stick with the 120.
I heard the Hugo today.
RWAK 120-S > SPdif > Hugo > Sennheiser HD800 with Siltech Duchess cable.
The best I have heard the HD800s driven by a portable device. The Hugo has a full size component sound, and for me betters every portable amp that I have heard the HD800 with.
I also heard the Hugo, as a DAC in a speaker set up, and again, first portable device that has scale, and am able to fully fill out the soundstage. Completely at home in a speaker set up.
Very exciting device for portable audio!
- Chord Hugo
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread 51 seconds ago
- › ROCK JAW Testers 1 minute ago
- › JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 2 minutes ago
- › What headphones to artists wear? 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here! 3 minutes ago
- › The new Eddie Current 2A3x4 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread (Preliminary Impressions) 4 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)