Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset... - Page 18

post #256 of 338
The PS3 and PS4 have audio settings that allow audio to go through multiple sources. However, you have a main source which will have all the goodies, and the rest will have standard 2 channel PCM/stereo. So if you set the PS3/PS4 to set the optical out as your main device (for the Mixamp to get the Dolby Digital), the HDMI will only get stereo.
post #257 of 338
Thread Starter 
You have to set the receiver to accept HDMI for just video and then RCA for audio. Most receivers can do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Doe View Post

I don't understand how to do this when the hdmi is currently carrying audio and video to the input on the receiver.
post #258 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Not possible with the 5.8 unless you have the incredibly rare and hard PS3 chat cable that is usb on one side, and I believe 3.5mm on the other. It HAS to be Astro's chat cable, not any other.

I'm still in search of one so I can be completely wireless on my PS4, asides from the Headphone cable connecting to the Rx unit.

have you found a solution?

 

does using a logitech USB to 3.5mm work with a splitter?

 

e.g. you get the USB with 2 x 3.5mm jacks (one for mic and one for voice chat), then use a splitter to combine them into 1 input into the transmitter.

post #259 of 338
I dunno. And I haven't been looking.
post #260 of 338

Well I've decided the best thing to do is just use the MIXAMP as a wireless surround sound DAC/AMP for my headphones.

 

Then use the DS4 controller with the earpiece underneath the headphones for voice chat.

 

I have the chat cable and a separate mic but having a cable from the DS4 to the receiver and then another 2 cables coming out the receiver is just retarded, it's supposed to be wireless.

 

PS4 is just complete garbage in terms of flexibility in terms of connectivity, why they cannot allow us to just plug in a mic only to the DS4 and allow voice chat to go through optical at the same time is plain stupid. Hope Sony fix it but I think they are trying to push their own first party products which are poor in terms of SQ.

post #261 of 338
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyA85 View Post
 

Well I've decided the best thing to do is just use the MIXAMP as a wireless surround sound DAC/AMP for my headphones.

 

Then use the DS4 controller with the earpiece underneath the headphones for voice chat.

 

I have the chat cable and a separate mic but having a cable from the DS4 to the receiver and then another 2 cables coming out the receiver is just retarded, it's supposed to be wireless.

 

PS4 is just complete garbage in terms of flexibility in terms of connectivity, why they cannot allow us to just plug in a mic only to the DS4 and allow voice chat to go through optical at the same time is plain stupid. Hope Sony fix it but I think they are trying to push their own first party products which are poor in terms of SQ.


Lol, I thought about doing that too! I decided that It would probably hinder my hearing of footsteps and other sounds on whatever ear I tried it in. Never actually tried it though...

 

Agree 100% that the PS4 sucks for connectivity.

post #262 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc10mike View Post

You have to set the receiver to accept HDMI for just video and then RCA for audio. Most receivers can do this.

If my receiver does this, I can't figure out how.

post #263 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Doe View Post
 

If my receiver does this, I can't figure out how.

Do you have the owners manual?

post #264 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post
 

Do you have the owners manual?

Not anymore. I bought the receiver in 2006. It's an Onkyo 604. 

Old amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR604-Receiver-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000HD7FGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395862933&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+604

post #265 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Doe View Post
 

Not anymore. I bought the receiver in 2006. It's an Onkyo 604. 

Old amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR604-Receiver-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000HD7FGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395862933&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+604

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/TX-SR604_674_En.pdf

post #266 of 338

That's a great find. Thank you.

 

Unfortunately after reading through it, I still have no idea how to do it. I guess either  the receiver does not split the signal when using hdmi, the manual/setup isn't  very clear, or I'm just dumb =/

 

I'm thinking I will be using the headphones and mixamp unamped for awhile and may eventually add a small portable amp. I guess it will be easier anyway with the switching back and forth from the ps3 to the ps4.

 

I am curious though what the SQ difference would be among the mixamp only vs receiver vs small portable amp. If I could figure out the receiver, would it be > using a small portable?


Edited by Cole Doe - 3/27/14 at 11:27am
post #267 of 338

I would never Amp the output of the MixAmp, that would increase the distortion because the MixAmp is already an amplifier.

post #268 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post

I would never Amp the output of the MixAmp, that would increase the distortion because the MixAmp is already an amplifier.

Then enjoy 600ohm cans or hard to drive planars with little power fed from the Mixamp. It's that type of mentality that helps no one. Double amping is not the monster everyone leads you to believe, and is the ONLY way many headphones can be enjoyed of the Mixamp. I've double amped, and have used the Mixamp alone. For many headphones, the extra amping is not only beneficial, it's absolutely essential.

As far as distortion being increased, I believe someone posted a long while back how double amping may actually REDUCE some distortion on certain headphones and outputs.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/27/14 at 10:58am
post #269 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


Then enjoy 600ohm cans or hard to drive planars with little power fed from the Mixamp. It's that type of mentality that helps no one. Double amping is not the monster everyone leads you to believe, and is the ONLY way many headphones can be enjoyed of the Mixamp. I've double amped, and have used the Mixamp alone. For many headphones, the extra amping is not only beneficial, it's absolutely essential.

As far as distortion being increased, I believe someone posted a long while back how double amping may actually REDUCE some distortion on certain headphones and outputs.

@Mad Lust Envy

What is you opinion of the DT770 80 with the mixamp alone vs double amped?

post #270 of 338
The DT770 isn't hard to drive, but the bass is slow, muddy, and invasive towards the mids. Amping helps clean up and tighten up the bass. Every beyer I've used improves with amping, especially in the treble, which sounds sizzly and harsh when unamped.

For the purpose of gaming, I think the Mixamp works just fine with it, but prepare for a lot of warmth and woolly bass. I think the DT770 pro 80 would work real well with something like the Magni or E12. Both tighten up bass, and sound nice and tight in general. The E9 is a hair warm, and would probably work the least best out of the ones I posted on my guide for the 770 pro 80.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/27/14 at 11:45am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...