or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016 - Page 202

post #3016 of 18426

I haven't noticed a change in the sound.  I was surprised, as my experience with the DX100 seemed like every update altered the sound in some manner.

post #3017 of 18426

Feh, I can't get this new FW installed to save my life.

 

Edit: Speak of the devil. Looks to be updating now on my 5th try or so :D


Edited by treal512 - 9/30/13 at 5:38pm
post #3018 of 18426
I updated from the original firmware to 1.16 without an issue. Just make sure you do the reset on the last step. I wasnt able to see my music and once i did the reset it all showed up after scanning my SD card again.

So far its worked like the charm and sounds frecking amazing!! DX50 with my Momentums is a fabulous match. Eargasms galore with HD music smily_headphones1.gif
post #3019 of 18426

factory resetted 3 times after it was updated successfully but the system update option is still there. looks like i gotta manually delete it

post #3020 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post

Thanks for your headphone review, that's actually very informative and confirmed what I suspected. I am surprised about the W4R though I thought those were amazing with the DX50, would you say UM3X is a better buy then for iems?
The W4R are a wonderful IEM. They reproduce sounds very naturally with little coloration so they reproduce close to what the recording engineer meant us to hear. I prefer them with my DX100. Like most reviews I've read the UM3X adds more bass punch and this makes them more fun sounding and to me more enjoyable for much of my music, especially vocals. Not sure if the term is right but voices have more timbre or depth. Not that I have much against the W4R. I can listen to both for hours and will keep both while they last.

If I could only have one IEM I would probably choose the W4R because they are closer to reference although I'm sure there are better. With them, I can always EQ some more bass if needed. Although I rarely EQ any of my headphones/monitors.
post #3021 of 18426

Not sure why, but my 64GB SD card just does not work with the DX50...

Works perfectly with my Sansa Clip+ rockboxed. 

post #3022 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post
 

If you select a song, you have to press the little FLAC/MP3/whatever symbol on the left, instead of the track title.
Sounds weird, but that's how you do it.
You can also delete the track and do other stuff in the menu that pops up.
Does not work in the Directory-view mode.

I hope you get what I'm trying to say....

 

No, I am not understanding this. Well, it's not working for me at least.

 

Can anyone else explain how to add songs to a playlist in the UI?

post #3023 of 18426
While in the past, I seldom used onboard EQ's in my other DAP's, I find that the DX50 EQ profiles are quite well-done. I listen to mostly classical music and discovered that the Classical preset sounds very good. It is subtle and I can't readily identify changes in frequency levels, but it does make the music sound "larger", similar to the effects of a large venue.

Even if you are not an ardent EQ'er, it might be worthwhile to explore the different presets as well as the custom user-configurable setting.
post #3024 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post

Not sure why, but my 64GB SD card just does not work with the DX50...
Works perfectly with my Sansa Clip+ rockboxed. 
Lin, are you saying this because of long scan time or did it finish scanning and can't play? Also, did you leave in exFat format or reformat to FAT32? My 64gb card is practically full and takes at least 20 mins to do a full scan. Maybe more. I've not timed it. But when done, it plays flawlessly. Used both a Sandisk and Samsung 64 SDXC card.

As I have written earlier and on the bugs thread, clean tags and short filenames seem to eliminate incomplete scans.
post #3025 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfe8851 View Post


Lin, are you saying this because of long scan time or did it finish scanning and can't play? Also, did you leave in exFat format or reformat to FAT32? My 64gb card is practically full and takes at least 20 mins to do a full scan. Maybe more. I've not timed it. But when done, it plays flawlessly. Used both a Sandisk and Samsung 64 SDXC card.

As I have written earlier and on the bugs thread, clean tags and short filenames seem to eliminate incomplete scans.

 

It finishes scanning after a long time, but it doesn't play...

post #3026 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfe8851 View Post


Lin, are you saying this because of long scan time or did it finish scanning and can't play? Also, did you leave in exFat format or reformat to FAT32? My 64gb card is practically full and takes at least 20 mins to do a full scan. Maybe more. I've not timed it. But when done, it plays flawlessly. Used both a Sandisk and Samsung 64 SDXC card.

As I have written earlier and on the bugs thread, clean tags and short filenames seem to eliminate incomplete scans.

 

What is the consensus about using SDXC cards and the DX50?  Should I go exFat or FAt32?  What size sector allocation? 

post #3027 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by treal512 View Post

No, I am not understanding this. Well, it's not working for me at least.

Can anyone else explain how to add songs to a playlist in the UI?
Okay....
1. Select an Album, then go to the track list.
2. For the selected track you wish to add to a playlist, press the icon on the left of the track name.
3. A submenu will appear.
4. Choose add to playlist.
5. Press the plus "+" sign to add a new playlist.
6. Press the new playlist and the track will be added.
7. Repeat for all other tracks.

NB. This works in Album, All Music and Artist views but not in Directory view.
post #3028 of 18426

My DX50 is third batch and untill now I test it with the Firmware 1.1.5, I didn´t get to much trouble but a couple of times freezing. Now that there is a new update I decided to improve the game but slowly, I´m installing Firmware 1.1.6, call me old fashion but I like to take this like a process untill I get perfection ;)

Thanks Sorensiim for the heads up about the new Firmware and the chance to download it direct from your server. 

post #3029 of 18426

I just received my DX50, and I must say I'm impressed. At $240, it outperforms my (overpriced) Arcam rPAC, a USB amp/DAC in every respect, save for overall build quality. Now, I don't mean to knock on the DX50's BQ at all as it is light years ahead of anything that Hifiman has put out, but it just can't match that solid little cube. Due to its outrageous OI, my 4.Ai was unlistenable with the rPAC--boomy bass and oddly recessed treble plagued the combo. Just as others have stated before, the 4.Ai/DX50 pairing is one made in budget-audiophile heaven. Though I haven't been able to listen to any earlier versions of iBasso's firmware, I have learned that the latest (1.1.6) update gives the DX50 a sound little warmer than neutral. As a bass-phobe (is that a word?), I initially found the DX50 and 4.Ai to be far to warm for my tastes. Fortunately, the (relatively) excellent onboard EQ managed to address and neutralize this issue. 

 

Satisfied with its performance with my 4.Ai-moderately-soon-to-be-UERM, I proceed to move on to what I view as the two other "major" headphone groups: (semi)portable closed and home open. I apologize to any on-ear owners who may take offense at this statement; though the on-ear segment is marketed as a separate entity, it is a spin-off of circumaural "full" sized cans. 

 

One would assume that the DX50 would have great difficulty in driving the 600 ohm T70 and 300 ohm HD800; this is not the case. Because of their impedance, these headphones, namely the HD800, are labeled, deceptively, as "difficult" to drive. Whether it be a testament to iBasso's amp design or the fact that these particular headphones are actually quite sensitive, the DX50 absolutely sings with the T70 and, to a slightly lesser extent, the HD800. While I could continue to gush on about how wonderful the T70/DX50 is, I must attempt to get back on track with what many of you are probably most interested in--a (semi)detailed "review" of the HD800/DX50...which I will write at a later time.  

post #3030 of 18426

Have you guys noticed how the amplifier section of the DX50 doesn't behave like most of the other daps? Fiio X3 vs DX50 comparison:

 

 

Summary:

DX50 has a large advantage with 24 ohm and above headphones. Eg. Both used with 50 ohm headphones the DX50 can rack up 110mW at 2.5v, while the X3 only manages 30mW at 1.5v,

X3 has a large advantage with 16 ohm and below headphones. Eg. Both used with 10 ohm headphones the DX50 produces 40mW at 0.6v while the X3 produces 160mW at 1.5v.

 

Amp output impedance graphs DX50 vs X3:

 

 

Summary:

DX50 has an output impedance closer to 3 ohm, despite the claimed <0.5 ohm from ibasso. DX50 also has an impedance spike in the 100-20hz region, this means headphones with lower impedance have progressively less bass response as shown in the next graph, EG. a 10 ohm headphone with the DX50 will have around -10db less 20hz bass. 

X3 has a low output impedance of 0.3 or lower ohms and isnt affected by the above, as such has a flat frequency response with all impedance phones.

 

Also there is the aspect of Line out implementation DX50 vs X3:

 

 

Summary:

DX50 has WAY less distortion than X3 through the line out. This means the DAC implementation of the DX50 is a lot cleaner than the X3.

 

Total Summary of DX50:

 

The DX50 comes with a quadtriple whammy of LAME ASS, if you want to use headphones with impedance lower than 24 ohms because:

  • Doesn't provide enough power, far less than the competition.
  • Doesnt provide enough voltage,  far less than the competition.
  • Has high ish output impedance,  far worse than the competition.
  • Bass is rolled of, more and more with lower and lower impedances.

 

The DX50 comes with a triple whammy of AWESOME, if you want to use headphones with impedance higher or at 24 ohms because:

  • WAY More power than all the competition.
  • WAY More voltage than the competition.
  • WAY less THD from Line out than the competition.

 

Original measurements from:

http://personalaudio.ru/review/portable-audio/


Edited by T.R.A.N.C.E. - 10/1/13 at 12:13am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016