Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 - Page 852

post #12766 of 14957

I also found your post useful! I ordered my DX50 two days ago, hoping to get it in a week or so. I am glad to see you say it has some warmth to it, I really like that in a player, I used to have a Cowon iAudio7 which I felt was fairly warm. I have DN-1000 iem's, they're kind of natural and I hear the DX50 is as well, I am a bit curious as to how they match up, I was scared the combination might provide a tad colder sound so to speak, but people keep saying good things about both components and the combination which is promising. I too am not for that overwhelming bass but I do appreciate both warm and quick bass so it will be interesting to see how they do together on that front.

post #12767 of 14957
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT66 View Post
 

You are upsampling red book 16/44 to 24/192?

that is just a waste of memory, it can't sound better, it can easily sound worse.

It definitely sounds much better don't ask me how but i have the redbook 44Khz 16 Bit of a classical sibelius track and the up sampled version.

I have yet again done an A-B comparison and the 44KHz sounds veiled in comparison with less PRAT and detail.  As for the space i don't care drive space

is so cheap.  I care most about the sound quality,  all i can say is that little Wolfson can really sing and retrieve details from my music that i never thought

possible.

 

I've done this upsample experiment on an Arcam DAC, AK120 and now the DX50 and they all sound best when you pass a raw wave at the native sample

rate of the chip.  I can only guess that the upsample of redbook is done on chip and this presents a tiny amount of jitter.  Its not just my ears that have confirmed

this,  but also my friend.  Infact CD upsamples via an AK120 to his Valve AMP,  wiped the floor with his Vinyl deck!!!

post #12768 of 14957
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoztpetra View Post
 

It is very useful and I really appreciate it! :D

 

btw I've been listening my Superlux HD669 through my DX50 for hours! I must say what are you saying are true.

at first glance of hearing(does "glance" work for "hearing"?) it sounds a little bit bright as I'm used to dark-sounding iPod touch gen3->fiio L6->Fiio E11 with bass boost 1. The Fiio E11 tamed my iPod's treble and I perceived the mid-bass boost as well as the recessed high as warm, full bodied sounding. However I was wrong.

Upon listening for hours I found that DX50's low bass are actually good on 1.2.8 firmware! mid is somewhat not recessed like the iPod touch + fiio combo and I have no trouble picking electric guitar from playing my messy, muffled MP3 J-pop songs(instrument overlapping all over the place). I also experience the same kind of body thickness sound like you said, the body is really something that thin sounding cans really fit! now my HD669 sounds much more balanced. I was wrong perceiving that every DAP that reproduce the high really well will always be bright sounding.

 

What I feel lacking from the DX50 is only the vocal, as it feels a little bit laidback, and the sweet female vocal from the E11. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet.

The instrument seperation, detail as well as the soundstage from this little thing is just ridiculous. my iPod and Fiio combo won't be able to sound anywhere as detailed as this thing. I can't imagine how studio V sounds like after listening to this DAP D:

I can confirm this thing sounds warm and good for thin-sounding cans.

 

you drive your Q701 with medium gain setting? that's weird.. because I'm driving my HD669 on high gain because the dynamics are much better, instrument separation, detail and soundstage are much better on this setting too! they sound a little bit over-sibiliant to my ear on high gain though

 

 

I'm loving this DAP to death, the only problems are most of my mp3 song sound less dynamic and refined compared to my loseless songs, the touchscreen are a little bit sensitive to scroll and now I can tell that I have some fake downloaded flacs..

I'm glad to hear you love your DX50!

 

The DX50 powers the q701's reasonably well, medium and high gain both sound great at the same volume level. I keep it on medium gain so that I don't fiddle too much with the switch as I use my dj100's on medium gain as well (Dj100 for portable use and q701 at home when I'm walking around doing stuff) and I alternate between them quite a lot every day.

 

I didn't know the HD669 was hard to drive.

 

I have my dx50 eq'ed as I personally prefer the sound a bit thinner and the vocals a bit more forward than how it sounds at stock.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opis View Post
 

I also found your post useful! I ordered my DX50 two days ago, hoping to get it in a week or so. I am glad to see you say it has some warmth to it, I really like that in a player, I used to have a Cowon iAudio7 which I felt was fairly warm. I have DN-1000 iem's, they're kind of natural and I hear the DX50 is as well, I am a bit curious as to how they match up, I was scared the combination might provide a tad colder sound so to speak, but people keep saying good things about both components and the combination which is promising. I too am not for that overwhelming bass but I do appreciate both warm and quick bass so it will be interesting to see how they do together on that front.

 

Thanks!

 

If you are looking for a lot of warmth you may be disappointed as it is still close to neutral so keep that in mind but do let me know how they pair :D


Edited by johanchandy - 4/22/14 at 2:41pm
post #12769 of 14957

Just ordered a DX50 from amazon - should get here tomorrow. 

 

Not an audiophile per se, although I've been employed as a full time classical musician all my life so I should be able to hear things. Although at 57 years old my ears don't get the high frequencies so well anymore. 

 

I've been using various cheapo devices running Rockbox for around 10 years, mostly in my car, which turns out to be my most consistent music listening spot - thank goodness for high end car audio systems. I decided to try an updated device, and bought a fiio X3, which sounded miles better than the previous devices, but I really didn't get on well with the UI. So I'm hoping the DX50 running rockbox will be a good combination for me!

 

(first post here - hi all!)

post #12770 of 14957

Welcome!

 

It's a good player.  I'm not sure you really NEED Rockbox with it, I found it didn't really add much, sound-wise especially.  The UI of the DX50 is very easy to use, although it does have a few few minor quirks.  A lot of what you get will depend on your iems/phones.  Lots of info here about those as well.

 

Enjoy.

post #12771 of 14957
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduck View Post

Just ordered a DX50 from amazon - should get here tomorrow. 



 



Not an audiophile per se, although I've been employed as a full time classical musician all my life so I should be able to hear things. Although at 57 years old my ears don't get the high frequencies so well anymore. 



 



I've been using various cheapo devices running Rockbox for around 10 years, mostly in my car, which turns out to be my most consistent music listening spot - thank goodness for high end car audio systems. I decided to try an updated device, and bought a fiio X3, which sounded miles better than the previous devices, but I really didn't get on well with the UI. So I'm hoping the DX50 running rockbox will be a good combination for me!



 



(first post here - hi all!)


 



DX50's UI is simple enough just for playback. If you have lots of playlist and play around EQ, then Rockbox will be all too familiar for you with DX50. You'll find yourself at home.
Edited by headwhacker - 4/22/14 at 10:44pm
post #12772 of 14957

Anyone tried the dac Stoner Acoustics ud110  with Galaxy s3 and could tell me if I get good sound like the dx50?
I have dx50 (without amplifier) but I want my cell phone to hear at least the same level quality sound


Edited by nati8056 - 4/23/14 at 10:34am
post #12773 of 14957
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude View Post

I'm not sure you really NEED Rockbox with it, I found it didn't really add much, sound-wise especially.  The UI of the DX50 is very easy to use, although it does have a few few minor quirks.  

Thanks! Yes, I'll certainly give the original UI a decent shot - it's a dual boot setup anyway. I've gotten used to certain features of rockbox that are rarely found in "normal" UIs - I really like random folder advance - I tend to listen to albums in their entirety and being able to start up a random album when one finishes is really nice. Also being able to do real file management is something that I take for granted, but most players can only do rudimentary things in this department. And there are a lot of little customizable details that I've gotten used to having - it'll be nice to keep using them.
post #12774 of 14957

Hello!! 

 

First time poster... In need of some advice in relation to this player.

 

Basically of all the things I have read I am impressed by the sounds of this player - especially now firmware has been tweaked , I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the player using a set of B&W P3 headphones or Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 ear buds?? My two purchases have served me well for my ipods etc but if I step up to higher quality music, I want to know if these will be a good pairing...

 

Liking the idea of 128gig/256gig cards working to account for the bigger file sizes.

 

I would have to revisit my CD collection to re-rip everything into higher quality instead of the 320kbps library I have to date!

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Mat

post #12775 of 14957

is latest firmware still 1.2.8

post #12776 of 14957
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

is latest firmware still 1.2.8

Yup
post #12777 of 14957

Hey DX50 owners, 

 

I've been away from head-fi for a while (about since the dx50 first came out) and I know there are talks about amps all over this thread but It's a bit much to skim through 800+ pages so I was wondering if you guys can help me out in that sense?

Currently own a pair of K702 Annies and DT990's (planning on investing into the Audeze family sometime fairly soon) and want a nice amp to add to my dx50. ATM i don't have a price range to give you guys as i am kind of getting the feel of what i should save up for.

 

Ideally want something that stacks nicely aesthetically. Was waiting for PB3 and DB3 from iBasso but I have no clue when that is happening.

 

Thanks for the help! 

post #12778 of 14957
Has there been reports that the DX50 suffers from cutting off first or last few seconds of a music track? Some DX90 users have reported this anomaly. Thank you.
post #12779 of 14957

 

"Ideally want something that stacks nicely aesthetically"

 

The JDS Labs C5 pairs very nicely with the DX50 physically, sound-wise, and aesthetically.  

post #12780 of 14957
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude View Post
 

 

"Ideally want something that stacks nicely aesthetically"

 

The JDS Labs C5 pairs very nicely with the DX50 physically, sound-wise, and aesthetically.  

Indeed it does!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that amp will power my DT990's as well as i'd like, looking at the tech specs. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0