Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › I want some good looking headphones.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I want some good looking headphones. - Page 11

Poll Results: Would you suggest the Crossfade LP's?

 
  • 16% (10)
    Definitely!
  • 20% (12)
    They seeeem okay, i guess.
  • 23% (14)
    Eh you might go for it.
  • 11% (7)
    They will probably be under par with your expectations..
  • 27% (16)
    As bad as beats!
59 Total Votes  
post #151 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

 

*facepalm*

 

Do a test with CD-quality FLAC and converted V0 LAME MP3 and I guarantee you you won't hear a difference.

 

To the original poster, I do think the LPs look pretty good. They have a unique appearance that sets it apart from other headphones. If you don't mind the price difference, I think you'll really like their M-100 headphone which is a definite step-up in audio quality. Personally I didn't like the sound of the LP, but for $100 I think it's a pretty good buy for that sound signature.

 

I hear an immediate sound quality difference using Sennheiser HD800s. It's not even difficult. Even my non-audiophile friends tell the difference. The way the HD800 separates every part of the music makes it too easy to spot differences. I don't hear an immediate difference using Stax 007s, Audio Technica ESW10JPN, or W3000ANV, though it doesn't mean they sound worse. It's just the HD800s are my reference headphones. But I digress.

 

OP, if you're concerned about style, there are plenty of "stylish" headphones out there. The Crossfades are especially gaudy, but yes, they look better outside than studio monitors. As far as I can tell, only a few people in this thread actually recommended studio monitors. Compared to the sleeker recommendations, like an Audio Technica Earsuit ES88, the Crossfades come off like a rainbow Alienware laptop vs. a MacBook Pro, but then you give the Alienware an Atom processor.


Edited by wind016 - 7/18/13 at 8:39pm
post #152 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

 

I hear an immediate sound quality difference using Sennheiser HD800s. It's not even difficult. Even my non-audiophile friends tell the difference. The way the HD800 separates every part of the music makes it too easy to spot differences. I don't hear an immediate difference using Stax 007s, Audio Technica ESW10JPN, or W3000ANV, though it doesn't mean they sound worse. It's just the HD800s are my reference headphones. But I digress.

 

OP, if you're concerned about style, there are plenty of "stylish" headphones out there. The Crossfades are especially gaudy, but yes, they look better outside than studio monitors. As far as I can tell, only a few people in this thread actually recommended studio monitors. Compared to the sleeker recommendations, like an Audio Technica Earsuit ES88, the Crossfades come off like a rainbow Alienware laptop vs. a MacBook Pro, but then you give the Alienware an Atom processor.

   Well, though I may not have heard the actual pair, the HD800s are exceptionally revealing. Even David Solomon said so in his Battle of the Flagships, as it helped him to find something that no other headphone in his entire collection could reveal. 

 

   Your comparison of the ES88 and the LPs brightened my day. I agree with you 110%. Giving an rainbow Alienware an Atom processor is just sad. Real sad. So to break it down, the Earsuits sound better, right?

 

 

EDIT: Why in the hell are the LPs as bad as Beats? Honestly, these have an SQ that the Beats Studios and Solos would dream of. I don't see why it could be that bad, because obviously, it isn't.

Relatively speaking, however, I might be inclined to agree, as the M-100s sound a lightyear away from this pair.


Edited by thatBeatsguy - 7/18/13 at 9:24pm
post #153 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

 

*facepalm*

 

Do a test with CD-quality FLAC and converted V0 LAME MP3 and I guarantee you you won't hear a difference.

 

To the original poster, I do think the LPs look pretty good. They have a unique appearance that sets it apart from other headphones. If you don't mind the price difference, I think you'll really like their M-100 headphone which is a definite step-up in audio quality. Personally I didn't like the sound of the LP, but for $100 I think it's a pretty good buy for that sound signature.

 

I hear an immediate sound quality difference using Sennheiser HD800s. It's not even difficult. Even my non-audiophile friends tell the difference. The way the HD800 separates every part of the music makes it too easy to spot differences. I don't hear an immediate difference using Stax 007s, Audio Technica ESW10JPN, or W3000ANV, though it doesn't mean they sound worse. It's just the HD800s are my reference headphones. But I digress.

 

OP, if you're concerned about style, there are plenty of "stylish" headphones out there. The Crossfades are especially gaudy, but yes, they look better outside than studio monitors. As far as I can tell, only a few people in this thread actually recommended studio monitors. Compared to the sleeker recommendations, like an Audio Technica Earsuit ES88, the Crossfades come off like a rainbow Alienware laptop vs. a MacBook Pro, but then you give the Alienware an Atom processor.

Foobar2000 ABX that then.

 

The OP was asking about the Crossfade LP. I'm pretty sure it would be pretty much impossible to pass the ABX test with one of those.

post #154 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

   Well, though I may not have heard the actual pair, the HD800s are exceptionally revealing. Even David Solomon said so in his Battle of the Flagships, as it helped him to find something that no other headphone in his entire collection could reveal. 

   Your comparison of the ES88 and the LPs brightened my day. I agree with you 110%. Giving an rainbow Alienware an Atom processor is just sad. Real sad. So to break it down, the Earsuits sound better, right?


EDIT: Why in the hell are the LPs as bad as Beats? Honestly, these have an SQ that the Beats Studios and Solos would dream of. I don't see why it could be that bad, because obviously, it isn't.
Relatively speaking, however, I might be inclined to agree, as the M-100s sound a lightyear away from this pair.

I've only heard the ATH-ES7, ESW9, ESW10JPN, and the ES10, but even the $70 ES7, a predecessor to the ES88, blows the Crossfades away in clarity. It may not be as boomy sounding, but that's just an example. There is an entire ocean of headphone options out there and somehow this whole thread seemed to have declared the Crossfades the epitome of style over all other headphones in the price range.

Beats are pretty bad. It's interesting that Dr.Dre has revolutionized the way people listen to music. Persuading them to find perfect audio reproduction with his crappy headphones. We know Beats are bad and just because something is better than Beats, we shouldn't readily call them good.
post #155 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Foobar2000 ABX that then.

I use foobar.
post #156 of 171
I hate to push the thread more off topic than it already is, but I can usually hear the difference between V0 and FLAC, but the most noticeable difference is something that you really only notice when directly comparing the two: decay. I primarily use FLAC for archiving purposes, and hard drive space is so cheap it's kind of hard not to use FLAC, but for portable listening, I never use FLAC. I just can't tell the difference when I'm not in a quiet area.

But to try to get back on topic, well, the Studios really aren't that bad...I'd probably pick them over the LPs, but I'm just not a big fan of the LP's sound signature to begin with.

OP, have you taped up the bass ports? I have a feeling they'd sound kind of weird if you did that, but I'd like to be wrong.
post #157 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post

I hate to push the thread more off topic than it already is, but I can usually hear the difference between V0 and FLAC, but the most noticeable difference is something that you really only notice when directly comparing the two: decay. I primarily use FLAC for archiving purposes, and hard drive space is so cheap it's kind of hard not to use FLAC, but for portable listening, I never use FLAC. I just can't tell the difference when I'm not in a quiet area.

But to try to get back on topic, well, the Studios really aren't that bad...I'd probably pick them over the LPs, but I'm just not a big fan of the LP's sound signature to begin with.

OP, have you taped up the bass ports? I have a feeling they'd sound kind of weird if you did that, but I'd like to be wrong.

The HD800 is pretty much the only headphone where I can tell V0 and FLAC without having to direct AB immediately. FLACs sound more live, but even original CDs of the typically compressed mixed music don't sound natural. It's not as much of an issue with other headphones.

I'd rather have something like an ES7 and a sound enhancing app like BBE or a Cowon player than a pair of Beats. I had the Beats Pro for about a week and it was way overpriced for the performance. I'm used to getting good sound quality for much cheaper though.
post #158 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

I'd rather have something like an ES7 and a sound enhancing app like BBE or a Cowon player than a pair of Beats. I had the Beats Pro for about a week and it was way overpriced for the performance. I'm used to getting good sound quality for much cheaper though.

Tell me about it! I've been trying to live with this pair, using my iPod's BBE SonicMax Pro, but I want the COP so bad...

 

Man, this thread is off-topic. However, OP already bought his pair, so I don't see why it still needs to be on-track. 

post #159 of 171

If you wanted a straight-up stylish pair of HPs, shoulda checked out WeSC. The $50 pair I once owned sounded no better than the average headphone, but hey, they look cool.

post #160 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post

I hate to push the thread more off topic than it already is, but I can usually hear the difference between V0 and FLAC, but the most noticeable difference is something that you really only notice when directly comparing the two: decay. I primarily use FLAC for archiving purposes, and hard drive space is so cheap it's kind of hard not to use FLAC, but for portable listening, I never use FLAC. I just can't tell the difference when I'm not in a quiet area.

But to try to get back on topic, well, the Studios really aren't that bad...I'd probably pick them over the LPs, but I'm just not a big fan of the LP's sound signature to begin with.

OP, have you taped up the bass ports? I have a feeling they'd sound kind of weird if you did that, but I'd like to be wrong.

 

Man, I dunno what you guys are hearing (Click to show)
foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.2.4
2013/07/18 22:20:07
 
File A: D:\Users\Michael\Music\Ottmar Liebert\The Hours Between Night + Day\02 Snakecharmer.flac
File B: D:\Users\Michael\Music\Ottmar Liebert\The Hours Between Night + Day\02 Snakecharmer.mp3
 
22:20:07 : Test started.
22:20:46 : 00/01  100.0%
22:22:59 : 00/02  100.0%
22:23:56 : 01/03  87.5%
22:24:12 : 01/04  93.8%
22:24:42 : 02/05  81.3%
22:24:59 : 02/06  89.1%
22:25:47 : 02/07  93.8%
22:27:07 : 02/08  96.5%
22:28:06 : 03/09  91.0%
22:28:21 : 04/10  82.8%
22:28:32 : 04/11  88.7%
22:28:46 : 04/12  92.7%
22:29:49 : 04/13  95.4%
22:30:19 : 04/14  97.1%
22:31:48 : 05/15  94.1%
22:32:27 : 06/16  89.5%
22:33:30 : 06/17  92.8%
22:33:45 : 07/18  88.1%
22:34:01 : 08/19  82.0%
22:34:17 : 08/20  86.8%
22:34:32 : 09/21  80.8%
22:35:03 : 09/22  85.7%
22:35:28 : 09/23  89.5%
22:35:55 : 09/24  92.4%
22:36:33 : 10/25  88.5%
22:36:49 : 10/26  91.6%
22:37:37 : 10/27  93.9%
22:38:35 : 11/28  90.8%
22:39:09 : 11/29  93.2%
22:39:58 : 11/30  95.1%
22:40:33 : 11/31  96.5%
22:42:23 : 11/32  97.5%
22:42:27 : Test finished.
 
 ---------- 
Total: 11/32 (97.5%)

 

 

 

What do you do to tape the bass ports? People in the M-100 thread suggested that...but the M-100 has felt squares glued over the vent on the headphone. Do you tape up the vents on the shield?

post #161 of 171
Oh, my reference is the SA5000...so...yeah. Anything that isn't as analytical would probably yield similarly inaccurate results. I'll try it this weekend...but yeah this is far too off topic.

And I've never removed the LP shields but since they still leak sound, I'd assume covering them would at least slightly alter sound. Maybe not necessarily for the better...
post #162 of 171

I had the V-Moda Crossfade LP HP and I thought that they looked very good. I had the White w/ Chrome shields. 

 

I thought they were very comfortable. The ear pads were plush and the headband was not uncomfortable.

 

Unfortunately, I found that they sound very muddled and even had a revreb effect with some music. That had me packing them up and sending them back.

 

Thankfully, there are other HP's out there (even in the V-Moda line up) that have better sound with decent looks.

 

Currently, I have the V-Moda Crossfade M-80 and I am very happy with them.

 

The CAL! (Creative Aurvana Live!) look pretty cool and have great sound quality.

 

I was wondering what colorway did you go with on the LP's?

 

If we all liked the same thing, things would be pretty boring.

post #163 of 171
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnin View Post

I was wondering what colorway did you go with on the LP's?

If we all liked the same thing, things would be pretty boring.
Color way as in color of the phones? I'm confused o.O I like the darker sound signature and I got gunmetal black.

To me these headphones were the best quality in a style>durability>sound fashion. In no ways am I saying these have better sound quality than any other cans at these range because I know there are a few sub $80~ that debateably sound better but these fit my needs.
post #164 of 171
I have a pair of LP2's and they have plenty of bass for me and I've always been curious how much more the LP1 has. I've also heard the m100 which has more bass but it's also clearer.

I'd like to add that I totally agree with OP that v-mods makes a very good all around headphone suited for masses.Style, durability, comfort and sound are all very well thought out in accordance to pricing.
post #165 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Supremacy View Post

Color way as in color of the phones? I'm confused o.O I like the darker sound signature and I got gunmetal black.
Yes, colorway refers to the color combination of the HP's.

It's all good, glad you found something that you like. In the future you may want to try something different. That is totally up to you of course.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › I want some good looking headphones.