Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK120 - Page 8

post #106 of 5988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post

I just tried the AK120. Not blown away. Maybe the subtle sound signature is lost on me. I will go back later for round two.

Also tried the RWKA100 and Mezzo Mod.

 

Feedback!! How does my RWAK100 compare to the AK120 (i.e. should I keep my RWAK100)? Also What's the Mezzo Mod? Is that the MS-AK100 from Thailand? Googling Mezzo Mod gives me this!!
 

post #107 of 5988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

 

Not pissed, agahst. And that is the problem with tiered-fi. Comes a point in any sentient beings life where value judgements are necessary. If you happen to be in a place where about 1500 bucks (after taxes) is absolutely nothing to you, then by all means go ahead and buy it. If you are looking for the best value for that same 1500 bucks, then quite simply your money is easily spent elsewhere.

 

   Somewhere along the line 1970's value systems took over in boutique fi and outrageous prices instantly command credibility in sound quality.

Think about this now. Why are you aghast? Because $1500 for a DAP is ridiculous. Now, why is it ridiculous? Because $1500 is not expendable income for you, for most in fact. But there are a few for whom the investment requires no more thought than your breakfast choice demands of you. It's all relative. Sit back and be befuddled if you want, or just get over it and enjoy what you have. No big deal. 

post #108 of 5988
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

Feedback!! How does my RWAK100 compare to the AK120 (i.e. should I keep my RWAK100)? Also What's the Mezzo Mod? Is that the MS-AK100 from Thailand? Googling Mezzo Mod gives me this!!
 

 

So, what Expat is saying is that the AK120 is worse than a lemon? evil_smiley.gif

 

In all seriousness, I think he's referring to this:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660027/tokyo-fujiya-avic-spring-may-2013/15#post_9391581:
We name it as mezzo soprano or MS-AK100 or as known as Viard AK100 as cable we used delivering a lot of punch in the medium and an ultra-defined but soft high end characteristic that really good for audiophile female voice.

Edited by tomscy2000 - 5/10/13 at 7:51pm
post #109 of 5988
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

 

So, what Expat is saying is that the AK120 is worse than a lemon? evil_smiley.gif

 

In all seriousness, I think he's referring to this:

 


Maybe it's a premonition that it won't be as much of a lemon this time and thus for the extra price premium. evil_smiley.gif

post #110 of 5988
@anakchan the MS-AK100.

Impressions later. I will try it against the AK120 now.

*dont trust my noobish brief impressions implicitly!
post #111 of 5988

Hahaha!!! Nice one Tom :p. I honestly didn't intend it that way - truly!

 

OK so the Mezzo's the MS-AK100. I brought my RWAK100 for BirdOffice to compare to the MS-AK100. Curious on Expat's views on all 3.

 

Man, now I know how you guys feel on Head-Fi...relying on someone else to be your eyes and ears on the ground.

post #112 of 5988
In the EU there is a mandatory 2 year warranty against defective goods. It might even cover gapless playback not being gapless.
post #113 of 5988
Quote:
Originally Posted by atty101 View Post

Think about this now. Why are you aghast? Because $1500 for a DAP is ridiculous. Now, why is it ridiculous? Because $1500 is not expendable income for you, for most in fact. But there are a few for whom the investment requires no more thought than your breakfast choice demands of you. It's all relative. Sit back and be befuddled if you want, or just get over it and enjoy what you have. No big deal. 


I think you missed the point on value. The value of the item is not transient or in anyway linked to my or your disposable income (and how wonderfull of you to miss the point and make assumptions on what my expendable income may be). As the saying goes, it is what it is. In this case the 100 was overpriced for what it accomplishes, this is well into ludicrous.

post #114 of 5988
My Friend Darwin Bought his AK 120 for $ 10800 Hkg Dollar = $ 1400 USD

It is cheaper than Europe price 1299 Euro
post #115 of 5988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


I think you missed the point on value. The value of the item is not transient or in anyway linked to my or your disposable income (and how wonderfull of you to miss the point and make assumptions on what my expendable income may be). As the saying goes, it is what it is. In this case the 100 was overpriced for what it accomplishes, this is well into ludicrous.

 

Good point. That was presumptuous. my bad. i'm drinking tonight so my logic isn't the best but i think your missing the point too. Value is a relative term. Overpriced is a relative term. the end. have a beer. kiss a girl. take the edge off. peace.

post #116 of 5988

Bugger... just spent 9 hours in Kowloon/HK on Friday between the states and Dullesville. Had I known I would have pur-chased one while there.

post #117 of 5988

I am going to Shanghai. I wonder if there are any there?

post #118 of 5988
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Hahaha!!! Nice one Tom :p. I honestly didn't intend it that way - truly!

 

OK so the Mezzo's the MS-AK100. I brought my RWAK100 for BirdOffice to compare to the MS-AK100. Curious on Expat's views on all 3.

 

Man, now I know how you guys feel on Head-Fi...relying on someone else to be your eyes and ears on the ground.

After my brief impressions today (at Tokyo Headphone show) I would rank in this order of preference to my ears..

 

MS-AK100. Clear, clarity, lush mids, beautiful, slight emphasis on vocals.

RWAK100. Smooth, clear, more apparent highs than MF mod, subtle V signature.

AK120. Clear, no body, no real bass.

AK100

 

*check my sig!


Edited by ExpatinJapan - 5/10/13 at 11:26pm
post #119 of 5988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post

After my brief impressions today (at Tokyo Headphone show) I would rank in this order of preference to my ears..

 

MS-AK100. Clear, clarity, lush mids, beautiful, slight emphasis on vocals.

RWAK100. Smooth, clear, more apparent highs than MF mod, subtle V signature.

AK120. Clear, no body, no real bass.

AK100

 

*check my sig!


lol I love your honesty & humility. Those are traits harder to come by these days ;).

 

"*My opinions are those of a possibly tone deaf hobbyist.:)"

post #120 of 5988

There is GAPLESS play!!!

 

The option is hidden with the Equalizer menu.......I don't usually venture therenormal_smile%20.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK120