- 7,968 Posts. Joined 12/2002
- Location: OKC
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- LCD-3's and Woo WA22....WOW! Last post on 1/4/14 at 6:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Could woo audio wa22 work well with LCD-3? Last post on 11/23/12 at 4:51pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphone user living in England needs some 'decent' advice --Americans, please rise to... Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:05am in High-end Audio Forum
- Headphone and amp pairing Last post on 7/20/12 at 2:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? Last post on 1/18/14 at 5:18pm in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Welcome to another review , today we have the J46BT IEM by JBL I will have a video review linked to this review soon but ...that's the future , this IEM was quite interesting since its...
Nothing is perfect & these earbuds are certainly a compromise. None the less, they are not too bright, not too boomy, not too recessed, & not too expensive. The sound is overall rich & smooth;...
I bought these to replace my Sennheiser HD25-I as they were quite uncomfortable to use for extended periods of time. Whilst these are incredibly comfortable, the sound isn't something I'm used...
I just got a pair of AKG K712s, so I needed an amp. It came down to choosing between ALO Audio's The National, and the International which were both being sold by the Headphone Bar in Vancouver....
First off- I got these for $130 from Newegg, and for that price they are a bargain. The $400 list price is way too expensive. Th fit and finish are beautiful on these, my only complaint would be...
LCD-3 / HD-800 amp - Page 8post #106 of 2032/8/13 at 10:01amSchiit doesn't do trades. You'll need to sell your old amp and buy the new one on your own.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #107 of 2032/8/13 at 10:02amQuote:Originally Posted by Asr
I wrote about the LCD-2 r2 and HD800 on the Lyr here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/580636/mini-review-schiit-lyr
I don't get why people look for low-cost amps for expensive headphones. If you're trying to actively cut corners on price, why not just get a cheaper headphone? And if you can afford either an HD800 or LCD-3, surely you can afford a better (pricier) amp than the Lyr? No offense intended against Schiit, but I haven't really been all that impressed by their amps so far (I've heard the Asgard, Lyr, and now the Magni). But I'm holding out hope for a great-sounding amp made by them some day. The quintessential amp recommendation I'd make for an Audeze/Senn combo would have to be a B22.
No offense taken. The reason I ask is I want a "better" amp also but really leaning towards the liquid glass, and who knows when that will be available again. Also, if they are on hold for a "fix" what is the problem, do any of you that have them have issues? With the HD650's, Schiit Lyr and Gungnir being my first rig and being a new member here I have a lot to learn. With that combo if not headphones what would be the "best upgrade"?post #108 of 2032/8/13 at 11:22amQuote:Originally Posted by awsanderson
No offense taken. The reason I ask is I want a "better" amp also but really leaning towards the liquid glass, and who knows when that will be available again. Also, if they are on hold for a "fix" what is the problem, do any of you that have them have issues? With the HD650's, Schiit Lyr and Gungnir being my first rig and being a new member here I have a lot to learn. With that combo if not headphones what would be the "best upgrade"?
Easy recommendation for Stratus if you want to go the tube route.post #109 of 2032/8/13 at 11:43ampost #110 of 2032/8/13 at 11:47amQuote:
Commissioning a build takes time and is generally more expensive.
I'd easily take either a Mjolnir, Soloist/Conductor, BHA-1 over the B22. The B22 use to be the benchmark for SS amps, but it's time has passed.post #111 of 2032/8/13 at 12:14pm
I think SoundFreaq's is still for sale here. He's here in Austin.post #112 of 2032/8/13 at 12:28pmpost #113 of 2032/8/13 at 12:44pmQuote:
Edited by kozmo - 2/8/13 at 2:02pmpost #114 of 2032/8/13 at 12:51pmQuote:
I can't believe someone hasn't snapped up this one yet.post #115 of 2032/8/13 at 1:51pmQuote:
How exactly as it been passed by amps using circuits quite a bit older than the B22? Which is not to say the amps listed aren't also great, I prefer the Soloist to my previous B22, but passed? That's a bit much.post #116 of 2032/8/13 at 3:19pmQuote:
All the amps listed are great, including the B22. However IMO all the aforementioned amps are better than the B22. And that's what I mean by passed.
A year ago the only SS amps that were really competitive to the B22 were the GS-X and DS.post #117 of 2032/8/13 at 3:28pmpost #118 of 2032/8/13 at 6:44pmpost #119 of 2032/8/13 at 7:42pm
Best I've heard with my LCD-3s, HD-800s and TH-900s. Heck, even my IEMs are fantastic with it using unity gain.post #120 of 2032/9/13 at 7:55amQuote:
I'll take a well built 4 channel B22 over the Mjolnir any day of the week. IMO the Mjolnir is "only" really, good is with the LCDs.
I lived with the BHA-1 and the B22 for months. The BHA-1 really can't touch the B22 in now way except sounding really good with the LCDs as well.
When we start talking about a wider range of headphones from low impedance to high impedance - The B22 will be way more versatile and sound better with more headphones. This has been my experience.
Now something just as powerful as the B22 and Mjolnir with a gain switch will lead to being more versatile as well. The BHA-1 has a 2 position gain switch + the SE out sounds like Shcitt
The new GS-X or even the new Statement amp from Schiit should take over when both are out in the wild.
As for now a well built B22 is still very hard to beat because it just sounds better with more headphone types.
Edited by preproman - 2/9/13 at 8:02am
- LCD-3 / HD-800 amp
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › What the f... 35 seconds ago
- › [Review] AKG K545 Portable Headphones 51 seconds ago
- › [TOUR] T-PEOS H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid - Australian Tour Thread -... 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 1 minute ago
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 1 minute ago
- › What's the Deal With Beats By Dre? 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Hiss with IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › AKG gaming cans. 2 minutes ago
- › Dangerous Music Source DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › Ferrari AAV-1LFH009K Cavallino T350 Over-Ear Headphones by ourfpshero
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by H20Fidelity
- › Asus Xonar DGX by SSSN
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by stpope
- › Schiit Mjolnir by tamleo
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude