Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list. - Page 29

post #421 of 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

Yea, its amp stage just doesn't pack enough power for many full-sized headphones. It will do fine with lower impedance phones in regards to volume/gain, but the high output impedance will alter your sound. This was the #1 flaw of the device, and is why many people won't consider it without getting it modded by RWA, MS, etc. It just really isn't a good AIO unit for most headphones/earphones. 

All the more reason to go with the HifiMan HM-901 for various amp cards alone. $200-300 per amp card is much cheaper than buying a separate portable amp of similar quality, not to mention the space savings and additional cost of cables.

post #422 of 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

All the more reason to go with the HifiMan HM-901 for various amp cards alone. $200-300 per amp card is much cheaper than buying a separate portable amp of similar quality, not to mention the space savings and additional cost of cables.

 

The HM-901 has its own problems. All the TOTL daps all have some compromise, nothing has yet to come out yet that meets the demands of the members here on Head-Fi. I've got the AK120, and it seems to be a large improvement in the SQ section of its predecessor the AK100. Still struggles with demanding headphones like the LCD-2/3, HE-500, etc. but for my needs it is as good as its going to get. If I need extra power, I'll strap the Pico Power on and I have desktop quality sound in a portable/transportable solution. 

post #423 of 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

The HM-901 has its own problems. All the TOTL daps all have some compromise, nothing has yet to come out yet that meets the demands of the members here on Head-Fi. I've got the AK120, and it seems to be a large improvement in the SQ section of its predecessor the AK100. Still struggles with demanding headphones like the LCD-2/3, HE-500, etc. but for my needs it is as good as its going to get. If I need extra power, I'll strap the Pico Power on and I have desktop quality sound in a portable/transportable solution. 

Sure, they all have quirks, but the versatility of the HM-901 makes it a winner in terms of high end amplification, IMO.

post #424 of 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

Sure, they all have quirks, but the versatility of the HM-901 makes it a winner in terms of high end amplification, IMO.

 

The DX100 is a better buy for full-sized headphones. You can pick one up readily for $600, half the cost of the stock HM-901. Add on another 200-300 for the balanced amp card, you are talking 1500 for a device that is not bug-free, or even close to being. SQ wise - the HM-901 is really hard to beat, but with regards to a portable device - it has major problems. 

post #425 of 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

The DX100 is a better buy for full-sized headphones. You can pick one up readily for $600, half the cost of the stock HM-901. Add on another 200-300 for the balanced amp card, you are talking 1500 for a device that is not bug-free, or even close to being. SQ wise - the HM-901 is really hard to beat, but with regards to a portable device - it has major problems. 

I was comparing AK120 vs. HM-901, but yes that DX100 in this situation is tough to beat. As far as problems go, its likewise with the AK120, too bad Apple can't come up with something for us LOL. tongue_smile.gif But i digress, back to the topic!


Edited by brunk - 7/27/13 at 5:10pm
post #426 of 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

I was comparing AK120 vs. HM-901, but yes that DX100 in this situation is tough to beat. As far as problems go, its likewise with the AK120, too bad Apple can't come up with something for us LOL. tongue_smile.gif But i digress, back to the topic!

 

Yes, I'm sure it would be a big hit. Sorry for the off-topic discussion boys. 

post #427 of 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

Yes, I'm sure it would be a big hit. Sorry for the off-topic discussion boys. 

No worries. This product hasn't been released. This thread exists for the purpose of off-topic discussions. LOL

post #428 of 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

Hmm... value depends on the individual. There aren't many DAPs that measure as well as the AK100 as far as what matter in a transport. It is small, good battery life, fluid GUI, and plays Hi-Res with multiple formats. There are quite a few people that use the AK100 as a transport alone. There isn't many DAPs that come close to its feature set. Also the price, has dropped significantly since the release, you can readily find them used in mint condition for 400-500. 

 

isnt there any cheaper solution since you are only using it as transport? 400-500 sounds better than the retail price though, thats for sure. ipods may be better choices but they cant play hi-res

post #429 of 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post

 

isnt there any cheaper solution since you are only using it as transport? 400-500 sounds better than the retail price though, thats for sure. ipods may be better choices but they cant play hi-res

 

You know, I wish there was. The best you are going to do is the new FiiO X3. It seems like that is the cheapest DAP that has the capabilities to serve as a transport, but again not without compromise. It seems like the product will go through some typical growing pains just like all the other options. Personally, I was very excited about the X3 until more users started to post impressions. I've since lost interest in it, and now am waiting for the DX50 to release. Personally, if you are on a budget the X3 is still a good option despite some issues. Other than that maybe a used Studio V Annie or a HM-601/2. 

post #430 of 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
Personally, I was very excited about the X3 until more users started to post impressions. I've since lost interest in it, and now am waiting for the DX50 to release. 

 

Ditto. 

post #431 of 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

You know, I wish there was. The best you are going to do is the new FiiO X3. It seems like that is the cheapest DAP that has the capabilities to serve as a transport, but again not without compromise. It seems like the product will go through some typical growing pains just like all the other options. Personally, I was very excited about the X3 until more users started to post impressions. I've since lost interest in it, and now am waiting for the DX50 to release. Personally, if you are on a budget the X3 is still a good option despite some issues. Other than that maybe a used Studio V Annie or a HM-601/2. 

 

 

whats wrong with the x3? doesnt it have pretty good reviews? im not really in need of a dap myself, im looking more towards a good headphone/ciem now but still i dont mind being updated with news of what daps are out there on the market wink.gif

post #432 of 820
My kingdom for the audeze cups
post #433 of 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyd4 View Post

My kingdom for the audeze cups

+1!  I agree...your kingdom for the Audeze cups...very_evil_smiley.gif

wink_face.gif

 

Cheers!beerchug.gif

-HK sends

post #434 of 820

I really do hope the finished product will be lighter if they were meant to be somewhat more portable as a closed back.

post #435 of 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

I really do hope the finished product will be lighter if they were meant to be somewhat more portable as a closed back.
Agreed.
I sadly sold my lcd 2s because I simply couldn't stand the weight.
This was only a problem as I couldn't help myself and would listen to them for 8 hours straight lol.
Give me a lighter, closed back LCD and I will have your babies.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list.