or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 938

post #14056 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

With the he500 and with the jergpadds by modulor 2.5 u dont have the need to change anything by eq...as its already a balanced phone...the he300 i also owned, was a very dark relaxed phone...i think u have to equalize a lot to change that signaturebut i think people buy that phone just because it sounds like that...so that group doesnt need to eq also..but the he400 has peaks on both sides of the audio spectrum..so that hp is very sensitive to eq..and i understand it does wonders to the he400..
I agree. Actually the 400 is the only hp I ever EQ. I typically like to let the equipment present the sound. I also find that once I start EQing I can't stop because each genre or even each album could use a little tweak to make it sound better. Then I start paying too much attention to how different frequency ranges are presented, emphasized, deemphasized etc. instead of enjoying the music. So I like to just let it be.
Edited by ethan7000 - 10/29/13 at 9:08pm
post #14057 of 20471

What about without the jergpads, still need to eq the HE500?

How does the HE500 respond to eq? Same as the HE400 does?

post #14058 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlxx View Post

What about without the jergpads, still need to eq the HE500?
How does the HE500 respond to eq? Same as the HE400 does?
I am sure the 500 sounds better with Jergulors, but I've only ever heard it on stock pads. I didn't feel it needed EQ.
post #14059 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlxx View Post

What about without the jergpads, still need to eq the HE500?
How does the HE500 respond to eq? Same as the HE400 does?
Its excellent on its own with velourpads..the jergpads make it only better. wink.gif
post #14060 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post


I agree. Actually the 400 is the only hp I ever EQ. I typically like to let the equipment present the sound. I also find that once I start EQing I can't stop because each genre or even each album could use a little tweak to make it sound better. Then I start paying too much attention to how different frequency ranges are presented, emphasized, deemphasized etc. instead of enjoying the music. So I like to just let it be.

 

Yes I had that problem recently as well :biggrin:, I found a good thing to do is to have about 3 different EQ, one which has rolled off treble - for any low quality / bright recordings, one which is normal that you can use most of the time, and maybe another one or two depending what genres you listen to, then BAN yourself from tweaking the EQ further :biggrin: I usually use a small amount of EQ with headphones, but I have never spent as long, or got such good results from EQ as with the HE400.


Edited by nicholars - 10/30/13 at 6:08am
post #14061 of 20471

THe great thing about EQ is that you dont incur in aditional costs.

 

Ive owned the HE-400 for slightly less than a year, and ive carried it with me everywhere just with the E17 as portable amp (and Asgard at home), and it had no issues whatsover for now. I have to say thou that the treble is slightly agressive with no eq, and I tend to favour songs with less treble emphasis unless I am feeling like I need a Red bull drink or something.

 

The cool part is that All I need to get this headphone to be more relaxed is to eq here and here and i no longer get fatiguated by it.

 

Now if only they were not so heavy :D.

post #14062 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

THe great thing about EQ is that you dont incur in aditional costs.

Ive owned the HE-400 for slightly less than a year, and ive carried it with me everywhere just with the E17 as portable amp (and Asgard at home), and it had no issues whatsover for now. I have to say thou that the treble is slightly agressive with no eq, and I tend to favour songs with less treble emphasis unless I am feeling like I need a Red bull drink or something.

The cool part is that All I need to get this headphone to be more relaxed is to eq here and here and i no longer get fatiguated by it.

Now if only they were not so heavy biggrin.gif.
They sound so good..just because of those heavy drivers wink.gif
post #14063 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

 

I made another one last night I will post the file, is it possible to upload files to the forum? If not I will upload it somewhere else and post a link to the download.

Hi nicholars,

 

Were you able to post the file anywhere?  Not sure if I am one of the lazy people :-) just all new to this and would like to utilize your settings from the start so I can learn what it is I SHOULD be hearing from these phones.

 

The other glitch I ran into, is that despite your warning, I did overwrite the default in Electri-q and have not been able to recover it even with a full uninstall/file delete and reinstall.  Any thoughts on how to recover or fix?

 

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Darren

post #14064 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

I have never heard anything like these headphones for trance, drum&bass, hardstyle.... They are good at other genres but they are MADE for electronic music!

I agree with you there, I needed it for edm and it DOMINATES with edm! 

post #14065 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post
 

THe great thing about EQ is that you dont incur in aditional costs.

 

Ive owned the HE-400 for slightly less than a year, and ive carried it with me everywhere just with the E17 as portable amp (and Asgard at home), and it had no issues whatsover for now. I have to say thou that the treble is slightly agressive with no eq, and I tend to favour songs with less treble emphasis unless I am feeling like I need a Red bull drink or something.

 

The cool part is that All I need to get this headphone to be more relaxed is to eq here and here and i no longer get fatiguated by it.

 

Now if only they were not so heavy :D.

 

I will post my new uber EQ later on and you can try it..... Smooth treble, no sibilance, good detail, balanced midrange... all at the same time :biggrin: 

post #14066 of 20471
Quote:
The other glitch I ran into, is that despite your warning, I did overwrite the default in Electri-q and have not been able to recover it even with a full uninstall/file delete and reinstall.  Any thoughts on how to recover or fix?

 

Hit the "M" button for the popup menu then "Presets" -> "Recall Factory Default".

If you want that loaded it each time Electri-Q starts, then click the "Store" button.

You can also right click on the "Presets" selection box to get a popup menu there too.

 

Been a long time since I installed Electri-Q, not sure if this manual comes with it or not, but it might be helpful.

 

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ju31l7

post #14067 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlxx View Post
 

 

Hit the "M" button for the popup menu then "Presets" -> "Recall Factory Default".

If you want that loaded it each time Electri-Q starts, then click the "Store" button.

You can also right click on the "Presets" selection box to get a popup menu there too.

 

Been a long time since I installed Electri-Q, not sure if this manual comes with it or not, but it might be helpful.

 

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ju31l7

Perfect...all fixed..thank you.  

 

And thanks for the manual....which brings up another question upon reading :D  It states that running in digital mode creates no coloration...so does that mean that running in analog does?  Either way, which one is recommended with the optimized EQ settings?

 

Cheers,

Darren

post #14068 of 20471

I can't really can't tell the difference with either one but I usually use Digital with the Eco off.

post #14069 of 20471

Analog seems to make it sound a bit smoother at the expense of some detail, Digital is a bit less smooth sounding but transparent and detailed... I was using Analog but I switched back to Digital because you can still apply filters if you want in Digital mode.... For example if you want to add smoothness to the treble but leave everything else normal you can use peak - warm on the treble areas and peak (orfandis) filters on everything else, I think the Analog is just basically similar to using peak - warm on every dot. It just adds a small amount of distortion so it is similar to analog sound distortion, making it a bit smoother but less accurate. Not a massive difference between them anyway.

post #14070 of 20471

I usually nevery listen to EDM.. But now I've heard the new Linkin Park album and I do agree the HE-400 excels with EDM. Although it does a lot of genres a lot of justice!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**