Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added... - Page 49

post #721 of 2160
Thread Starter 

Ok here's a very stupid question, when on Leckerton how the heck do you choose extra op amps for the MKII? I'm looking at the Leckerton site and can't make heads nor tails on the options available. Should one pick the option of local bypass capacitor pads between pins 4 and 8 or the option of local bypass capacitor pads between pins 4 and 7. Does it even matter? Since I'm posting this and confusing everyone should the No bypass section be selected or should the other selections be selected?

post #722 of 2160

I don't understand what you area talking about? If you want to have extra Op Amp you have to contact Nick and arrange for it and pay him via paypal.
 

post #723 of 2160
Thread Starter 

If you go HERE and scroll down to the bottom you'll see what I'm talking about. I like your idea better though email to Nick it shall be

post #724 of 2160

lol now I know what you mean. Looks to be making things much harder than they have to be :P. I say better to contact him still and inquire about the Op-Amps you are interested in. I figured 8610, 627AP and 209 were the best choices.
 

post #725 of 2160

http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s-mkii/

 

Please see under: Output Op-amps:

 

Or:

 

If you have a custom op-amp request, please contact us for availability.

post #726 of 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACSman View Post

Right on the Smeggy; Westy is an IEM - Westone W4R with Chris_Himself Recable Mod.

 

I do have a laptop but dnk how to bypass it's internal DAC... 


 How much diference did you notice from the stock cables for the Chris_Himself cable?

 

They are not too expensive, but I'm a bit skeptical about the benefits of exchanging cables. (I do have the W4R, but I purchased it with the "broken cable, change cable, don't loose earphone" mindset).

post #727 of 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Ok here's a very stupid question, when on Leckerton how the heck do you choose extra op amps for the MKII? I'm looking at the Leckerton site and can't make heads nor tails on the options available. Should one pick the option of local bypass capacitor pads between pins 4 and 8 or the option of local bypass capacitor pads between pins 4 and 7. Does it even matter? Since I'm posting this and confusing everyone should the No bypass section be selected or should the other selections be selected?

 

Yeah, email Nick. He stocks some op-amps that aren't compatible with the UHA-6 and UHA-4, so it's better to arrange a purchase through him rather than go random on the website.

post #728 of 2160
Thread Starter 

Hey ardgedee, is there such a thing as a small plastic carry case designed to store different op-amps with? I'm going to be in dire need of a good storage solution that will keep op amps from getting mixed up and lost or damaged?

post #729 of 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Hey ardgedee, is there such a thing as a small plastic carry case designed to store different op-amps with? I'm going to be in dire need of a good storage solution that will keep op amps from getting mixed up and lost or damaged?

 

The chips I got from Nick were in small cardboard boxes, mounted on antistatic foam. Keep those in a safe place, with whatever you use for storing other small electronic accessories like plug adaptors, spare cables, and extra eartips. Don't let them bang around since you can bend the legs or crush the chips.

post #730 of 2160
What are the differences between 209 and the 8610? I might want to try the 8610.
post #731 of 2160
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

 

The chips I got from Nick were in small cardboard boxes, mounted on antistatic foam. Keep those in a safe place, with whatever you use for storing other small electronic accessories like plug adaptors, spare cables, and extra eartips. Don't let them bang around since you can bend the legs or crush the chips.


I usually keep my spare plugs adapters eartips etc stored away in a shoe box under my bed confused_face.gif

post #732 of 2160

That should be good. The cardboard boxes that the chips are shipped in are meant for storage. Use 'em to store whichever op-amps you're not using.

post #733 of 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

What are the differences between 209 and the 8610? I might want to try the 8610.


209 is a transparency monster. Depending on my mood and tracks it can be a very good OP-Amp but for general listening it just goes over the top and I get fatigued so not my go to Op-Amp. Generally speaking it is neutral but the transparency it brings is it's very own form of color IMO. It's not natural to my ears at least but does make for an interesting sound.

 

8610 is for the most part neutral. It has a hint of warmth which adds musicality to the sound. The presentation is focused more on depth opposed to a wide sound stage. There is decent width to the sound stage but depth is this Op-Amps main focus. Now regarding the extreme transparency Op-Amp 209 adds to its sound (particularly to the treble IMO), Op-Amp 8610 adds this type of emphasis more so on its mid-range. It's not as extreme or over the top but makes the mid-range very noticeable. It adds clarity emphasis on the mids which really helps to flesh them out. This is why this Op-Amp is my favorite as I believe the music is in the mids.


Edited by lee730 - 11/10/12 at 8:52pm
post #734 of 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


209 is a transparency monster. Depending on my mood and tracks it can be a very good OP-Amp but for general listening it just goes over the top and I get fatigued so not my go to Op-Amp. Generally speaking it is neutral but the transparency it brings is it's very own form of color IMO. It's not natural to my ears at least but does make for an interesting sound.

8610 is for the most part neutral. It has a hint of warmth which adds musicality to the sound. The presentation is focused more on depth opposed to a wide sound stage. There is decent width to the sound stage but depth is this Op-Amps main focus. Now regarding the extreme transparency Op-Amp 209 adds to its sound (particularly to the treble IMO), Op-Amp 8610 adds this type of emphasis more so on its mid-range. It's not as extreme or over the top but makes the mid-range very noticeable. It adds clarity emphasis on the mids which really helps to flesh them out. This is why this Op-Amp is my favorite as I believe the music is in the mids.

I have to agree with you on music being in the mids, but does the 8610, being less detailed that the 209 come out to be a bit muffled or muddy in comparison to the 209?
post #735 of 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post


I have to agree with you on music being in the mids, but does the 8610, being less detailed that the 209 come out to be a bit muffled or muddy in comparison to the 209?


I don't see it as being less detailed. The presentation is different. Overall it's a neutral Op-Amp. 627AP would be less detailed due to the treble appearing to be somewhat rolled off. But what that Op-Amp makes up for is detail in its mids and bass. So 627AP would be the most musical of them all while 8610 has qualities of both sounds IMO without going overboard on either.


Edited by lee730 - 11/10/12 at 9:25pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)