New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Nov 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #709 of 2,354
Got GAS - "Gear Acquisition Syndrome"? 
L3000.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #711 of 2,354
Quote:
"Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet." Did you not see that etched into the stone lintel you walked under as you came here?

I am trying to move towards having DAC/Amp components do one job: transparency. Any coloration that I want will be left up to my 'phones themselves, and maybe EQ down the road. This Leckerton looks like it's very transparent. I also like how versatile it is. It can pair with almost any source as input, and it can pair with IEM's and full-sized cans at the output. The only thing I can think of that I would like is a line-level output, to truly be used as a DAC only. But if it's as good as y'all say it is, then its headphone out should suit just as well, similar to Sansa players.

Plus, I really like what Nick is doing with this brand. He is being very straightforward and cooperative with his customers, and providing useful measurements. 

Oh who am I kidding. Yes, I've got the "GAS." 

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #712 of 2,354
Quote:

I am trying to move towards having DAC/Amp components do one job: transparency. Any coloration that I want will be left up to my 'phones themselves, and maybe EQ down the road. This Leckerton looks like it's very transparent. I also like how versatile it is. It can pair with almost any source as input, and it can pair with IEM's and full-sized cans at the output. The only thing I can think of that I would like is a line-level output, to truly be used as a DAC only. But if it's as good as y'all say it is, then its headphone out should suit just as well, similar to Sansa players.

Plus, I really like what Nick is doing with this brand. He is being very straightforward and cooperative with his customers, and providing useful measurements. 

Oh who am I kidding. Yes, I've got the "GAS." 

It's kinda funny because I find the extreme transparency it adds to be Op Amps 209s very own flavor or color as you will. Because in reality it doesn't sound natural to my ears. Still has it's benefits on certain tracks though :).

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #713 of 2,354
I'm a complete modding noob, I'm not understanding one bit of this op-amp choice that you are mentioning, and many people coment.

Do you people have any reference about it? i.e., how to choose the opamp, that the diference they make, etc?

This is not the first thread that I read about it (ex: the PA XM6 thread had all that discussion too), but if I'm to choose somethink like the UHA-6S mk2, I better know what to choose.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #714 of 2,354
Quote:
I'm a complete modding noob, I'm not understanding one bit of this op-amp choice that you are mentioning, and many people coment.

Do you people have any reference about it? i.e., how to choose the opamp, that the difference they make, etc?

This is not the first thread that I read about it (ex: the PA XM6 thread had all that discussion too), but if I'm to choose somethink like the UHA-6S mk2, I better know what to choose.

Go to Leckertonaudio.com and read the recommendations given by Nick. Both he and I think 8610 is the way to go but depending on your needs there are also other alternatives including 209. If the manufacturer of the amp recommends 8610 there is a good reason behind it.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #715 of 2,354
Quote:

Go to Leckertonaudio.com and read the recommendations given by Nick.

http://www.leckertonaudio.com/2012/11/choosing-output-op-amps/

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #716 of 2,354
IThis is not the first thread that I read about it (ex: the PA XM6 thread had all that discussion too), but if I'm to choose somethink like the UHA-6S mk2, I better know what to choose.

Start with the default. The amp designer will have done the research and testing necessary to determine which part will provide the best performance for the broadest variety of people.

Then, after you've used it for a while and formed your own opinions regarding its strengths and weaknesses with your equipment and music, start your own collection of op-amps to use with it.

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #717 of 2,354
Quote:
Start with the default. The amp designer will have done the research and testing necessary to determine which part will provide the best performance for the broadest variety of people.
Then, after you've used it for a while and formed your own opinions regarding its strengths and weaknesses with your equipment and music, start your own collection of op-amps to use with it.

I can see how someone considering buying this unit would stroll in here looking for reviews/impressions, then get confused by all the op-amp talk. Op-amp rolling is just one (minor to me) feature of this amazing device! But I can sympathize with the tinkerers who love to play around with their gear, so maybe we need a separate op-amp rolling thread. 

I agree though, if you go to Leckerton's website, he clearly explains why he recommends the default chip.

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #718 of 2,354
Quote:

I can see how someone considering buying this unit would stroll in here looking for reviews/impressions, then get confused by all the op-amp talk. Op-amp rolling is just one (minor to me) feature of this amazing device! But I can sympathize with the tinkerers who love to play around with their gear, so maybe we need a separate op-amp rolling thread. 

I agree though, if you go to Leckerton's website, he clearly explains why he recommends the default chip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

http://www.leckertonaudio.com/2012/11/choosing-output-op-amps/

Quote:

Go to Leckertonaudio.com and read the recommendations given by Nick. Both he and I think 8610 is the way to go but depending on your needs there are also other alternatives including 209. If the manufacturer of the amp recommends 8610 there is a good reason behind it.

Read it, got it and thinking.

I was thinking on buying a portable dac/amp to use in both laptop and work, when I out of home (which is quite often for long periods of time), and which I wanted to be an upgrade over both my fiio e7 and my galaxy S player (that's the reason I discarted the fiio e17 after I read people reporting that the e17 was not better than a Galaxy player voodoo'ed like mine).

Originaly  I wanted to stay < US$ 300, but I almost drifted to US$ 600+, but as far as I can see, the UHA-6S is one hell of a contender for the money, and I'm realy considering it. I wanted to change my desktop rig from a Xonar STX to something that I'm not sure yet, but I wanted to keep the total budget under US$ 1000, for sure under US$ 1200, so I was thinking something like US$ 300 for portable dac/amp and US$ 700 for a desktop dac + amp(Schiit Bifrost + Asgard? ,  still researching).

Although I woundn't be using it with hard to drive headphones, mostly iems and maybe a DT880-250 ohms, so sheer power wouldn't be my primary need, but I do want transparency, neutrality, good usb dac, and if possibly 24/96 support (either over usb or over spdif), and prefereably transportability. A line-out from the dac/amp would be a huge plus.

I considered before also the RSA predator and the Practical Devices XM6, but someone mentioned here that the predator wasn't strictly better than the UHA-6S(at least the amp section, don't know about as a dac/amp combo), so I'm really leaning towards the Leckerton.

Well, thanks everybody for the coments, it have been helping me a lot

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #719 of 2,354
Quote:
    Read it, got it and thinking.

Originaly  I wanted to stay < US$ 300, but I almost drifted to US$ 600+, but as far as I can see, the UHA-6S is one hell of a contender for the money, and I'm realy considering it. I wanted to change my desktop rig from a Xonar STX to something that I'm not sure yet, but I wanted to keep the total budget under US$ 1000, for sure under US$ 1200, so I was thinking something like US$ 300 for portable dac/amp and US$ 700 for a desktop dac + amp(Schiit Bifrost + Asgard? ,  still researching).

Although I woundn't be using it with hard to drive headphones, mostly iems and maybe a DT880-250 ohms, so sheer power wouldn't be my primary need, but I do want transparency, neutrality, good usb dac, and if possibly 24/96 support (either over usb or over spdif), and prefereably transportability. A line-out from the dac/amp would be a huge plus.

I considered before also the RSA predator and the Practical Devices XM6, but someone mentioned here that the predator wasn't strictly better than the UHA-6S(at least the amp section, don't know about as a dac/amp combo), so I'm really leaning towards the Leckerton.

Well, thanks everybody for the coments, it have been helping me a lot

Grats on your purchase! I recommend Audiolab M-DAC, JDS labs O2+ODAC, or Cambridge DacMagic Plus for desktop versions of the Leckerton UHA-6s.mkII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back