Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 364

post #5446 of 7949

I had BTG do the "earring" mod with mini XLRs to mine as well. Makes the Y-split on the stock cable annoyingly low, but I mostly use it with a balanced cable anyway. Now I'm looking for a super short cable for my on-can DAP experiment.

post #5447 of 7949
Yeah only reason I had to get the recabling done is because I'm going to be using it on different rigs. Can't carry around 10ft of cable and a 1/4-1/8 adapter around. Also need to go balanced.
post #5448 of 7949
Got my TH-900 in today. Can't wait to get home from class and give them the first listen!

Just curious, is the box supposed to be sealed from the factory? I'm sure mine is new and all but it wasn't sealed with a sticker or anything.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
post #5449 of 7949
Quote:
Originally Posted by pervysage View Post

Got my TH-900 in today. Can't wait to get home from class and give them the first listen!

Just curious, is the box supposed to be sealed from the factory? I'm sure mine is new and all but it wasn't sealed with a sticker or anything.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
The box that my TH900's came in did not have any plastic wrap or sticker if i remember correctly.
EDIT: both pairs sent to me had no clear plastic or stickers
Edited by Audio Jester - 9/19/13 at 4:34pm
post #5450 of 7949

t50rp is just the same, no plastic or anything

post #5451 of 7949
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Cute...now your TH-900s have ponytails.
Lol. Looks good though
post #5452 of 7949

Initial impressions after listening:

 

- Nice clean bass that hits pretty good.

- Significant step up from mid-fi cans I have tried when it comes to overall clarity. I am able to pick up sounds that I didn't hear on some open mid-fi cans which surprised me.

 

Not a fan of this cable though. It's my first set of cans with the Y-splitter design and I do not like it. Much prefer the cable going into one side only as you can throw the cans on and forget about it. But this Y cable is a constant nag and sometimes drags on the right earcup (I have the wire going down towards my left side).

 

I do have to question the price on these though... I think they would be better priced at the $1000 range. The old prices of $2000-2300 are pretty crazy.

 

Aside from the quibbles with the cable on these things, I am enjoying the sound so far.

post #5453 of 7949
Quote:
Originally Posted by pervysage View Post

Initial impressions after listening:

- Nice clean bass that hits pretty good.
- Significant step up from mid-fi cans I have tried when it comes to overall clarity. I am able to pick up sounds that I didn't hear on some open mid-fi cans which surprised me.

Not a fan of this cable though. It's my first set of cans with the Y-splitter design and I do not like it. Much prefer the cable going into one side only as you can throw the cans on and forget about it. But this Y cable is a constant nag and sometimes drags on the right earcup (I have the wire going down towards my left side).

I do have to question the price on these though... I think they would be better priced at the $1000 range. The old prices of $2000-2300 are pretty crazy.

Aside from the quibbles with the cable on these things, I am enjoying the sound so far.
What mid-fi cans are you comparing to
post #5454 of 7949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post


What mid-fi cans are you comparing to

 

The Philips Fidelio X1's and AKG k702 Anniversaries (although I haven't heard the Anniversaries in a while and haven't compared them side by side with the TH900's).

post #5455 of 7949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Yeah only reason I had to get the recabling done is because I'm going to be using it on different rigs. Can't carry around 10ft of cable and a 1/4-1/8 adapter around. Also need to go balanced.
I've got a Q. Why did you opt for 2xconnectors before the Y-split rather than 1xconnector after the Y-split? The reason for my question is that (and I know this is a minor thing and quite a generalisation) but fewer connector components for cleaner signal?
post #5456 of 7949
Quote:
Originally Posted by pervysage View Post

The Philips Fidelio X1's and AKG k702 Anniversaries (although I haven't heard the Anniversaries in a while and haven't compared them side by side with the TH900's).
So, sound like they're worth $700 more than the X1 to you? Maybe I will get them if they ever drop to $1k...
post #5457 of 7949

Another thing I noticed, going from open to closed, I was expecting them to be much quieter sound leakage wise... but when listening at a decent volume, these things still leak a lot even though they are closed.

 

I think if you were sitting next to someone, they would be able to hear exactly what you're listening to.

post #5458 of 7949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post


So, sound like they're worth $700 more than the X1 to you? Maybe I will get them if they ever drop to $1k...

 

I think they would be a good deal at $1k.

 

It's funny that you ask that though because the first thing I thought when I started listening to the TH900 was that the X1's at their current price are an AMAZING value for the sound they deliver. X1's are a total steal for anyone looking for a can in that range.

 

It's surprising how easy the TH900 are to drive. I'm listening at around the same volume level I would be listening to the X1's.

post #5459 of 7949
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post


I've got a Q. Why did you opt for 2xconnectors before the Y-split rather than 1xconnector after the Y-split? The reason for my question is that (and I know this is a minor thing and quite a generalisation) but fewer connector components for cleaner signal?

 

I get your reason for asking, and acknowledge it as well, since it is most likely correct in a theoretical sense.

 
There are two reasons why I went with this styling.
1. Simply, resale of the bottom cable. Basically the cable that will connect to these connectors will be a regular cable, not one that is tailored to this recable job.
2. The balanced cable I'm going with is going to be a high end one that basically separates the left and right channels completely. It won't fit into a single connector.
post #5460 of 7949
Quote:
Originally Posted by pervysage View Post
 

Another thing I noticed, going from open to closed, I was expecting them to be much quieter sound leakage wise... but when listening at a decent volume, these things still leak a lot even though they are closed.

 

I think if you were sitting next to someone, they would be able to hear exactly what you're listening to.

 

Time to be a hipster and flaunt all the dubstep and edm possible!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread