Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ - Page 86

post #1276 of 1671

I'm thinking of putting dynamat extreme behind the felt and on the driver, and a resistor in the circuit, to make my own "High Edition". biggrin.gif

 

dscn7232e.jpg

 

Photo from here. I haven't opened up my HM5 yet.


Edited by kingpage - 6/18/12 at 8:28pm
post #1277 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlofsoup View Post

Thanks for the help man. They just looked really nice. From experience though, I know that people here know what they're doing.

 

Funny how people's opinions can vary. I'm a huge metal fan and I love the HM5, especially for extreme metal. I own a lot of headphones and I actually think the HM5 are one of the better cans I own for anything fast and heavy. :) Most metal recordings suffer from brickwall producten and sibilance and the HM5, for it's price, makes most metal sound just right to my ears.

post #1278 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negakinu View Post

 

Funny how people's opinions can vary. I'm a huge metal fan and I love the HM5, especially for extreme metal. I own a lot of headphones and I actually think the HM5 are one of the better cans I own for anything fast and heavy. :) Most metal recordings suffer from brickwall producten and sibilance and the HM5, for it's price, makes most metal sound just right to my ears.

 

I can see what you mean actually. I imagine they would help tame those aspects of a metal recording, though my previous point still stands for me. Chalk it up to personal preference I guess.

post #1279 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by manveru View Post

 

I can see what you mean actually. I imagine they would help tame those aspects of a metal recording, though my previous point still stands for me. Chalk it up to personal preference I guess.

 

Did I really write "producten" instead of "production"? :D Damn language. 

 

Anyway, just yesterday I sold my Grado SR225i, probably considered one of the best mid-fi heavy metal cans. It's treble was just too piercing for all the screechy black metal I listen to. Right now I enjoy the HM5, HD25-1 II and HD580 best for anything distorted. 

 

Btw, how did you like that Uptown? I see you're selling it. 

post #1280 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negakinu View Post

 

Did I really write "producten" instead of "production"? :D Damn language. 

 

Anyway, just yesterday I sold my Grado SR225i, probably considered one of the best mid-fi heavy metal cans. It's treble was just too piercing for all the screechy black metal I listen to. Right now I enjoy the HM5, HD25-1 II and HD580 best for anything distorted. 

 

Btw, how did you like that Uptown? I see you're selling it. 

 

Here's a review I wrote if you want to know my thoughts in detail:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612677/review-philips-citiscape-uptown-vs-hm5-ath-ad2000

 

tl;dr

I like them a lot. Much more than the HM5s in fact. :( Actually I'd rather just keep them, but I could really use the extra cash right now.

post #1281 of 1671
anyone wants to sell me their short HM5 cable.?
Mine broke and want to use this on my travel next couple of weeks
post #1282 of 1671

Hey , would you recommend HM5 more than Audiotechinca ath-m50 ?

 

I am deciding between those two

post #1283 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazeee View Post

Hey , would you recommend HM5 more than Audiotechinca ath-m50 ?

 

I am deciding between those two

I own both (I own the identical Jaycars, that's really the way to go IMHO), and the HM5/FA-003/Lindy/Soundmagic/Jaycar Pro Monitors blow the ATH-M50s out of the water.

post #1284 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

I own both (I own the identical Jaycars, that's really the way to go IMHO), and the HM5/FA-003/Lindy/Soundmagic/Jaycar Pro Monitors blow the ATH-M50s out of the water.

 

That's a very vague statement, and it sounds like you may not be taking personal preferences into account. Mind elaborating just a little bit?

post #1285 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by manveru View Post

 

That's a very vague statement, and it sounds like you may not be taking personal preferences into account. Mind elaborating just a little bit?

I am not taking any personal preferences into account but my own. Sorry for not clarifying.

But I can do a quick head-to-head.

BASS:


M50s have a louder bass, whereas the HM5s bass is more pronounced and easily distinguishable. On the HM5s, I can more easily point out individual bass notes and kick drum hits, even when they are overlapping.

MIDS:

M50s have recessed mids, HM5s don't. Vocals sound a bit more intimate with the HM5s, possibly a result of panned instruments being "further away".

 

TREBLE:
M50 has a little bit of a treble peak, whereas the HM5s are a bit more even.

SOUNDSTAGE:

The HM5s have a very nice soundstage. Hard panned...anything...sounds like it's coming from across the room. The ATH-M50s are a bit more intimate.


BUILD QUALITY:
M50s wind hands down, but the detachable cable of the HM5s is very nice.

ACCESSORIES:
HM5 comes with a nice hard case, ATH-M50 comes with a soft case. I don't care about this and you don't either.

 

COST:
Jaycar Pro Monitors are $70 shipped. ATH-M50s are about $120 shipped, $110 at the cheapest.

I'm still a n00b myself, but I'd much prefer to save the $50 and get a DAC, an amp, or pay bills (you know, those things that are in Head-Fi's direct opposition).

post #1286 of 1671

Hi!

I own HM5's for 2 weeks. These are great headphones; when I just received them they were a bit dull and annoying, but after some burn-in they started to sound very-very good and pleasant!

But sadly burn-in also revealed channel imbalance on all frequencies ( right phone has wider soundstage and is louder than the left one ). frown.gif I checked this on different sources and double-checked with my friend on a blind test. I am very sensitive to such things and I can't just listen music with defective phones. frown.gif The problem is that I already sent my B2 IEM's to MP4Nation with exactly same problem! ( yes, I'm sure that the phones are defective and not my ears/ brain rolleyes.gif ).

So will it look strange from my side if I'll contact customer service with same reason?

Maybe there is a trick/ mod that will equal sound on both channels? 

Thanks.

post #1287 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghardashyan View Post

Hi!

I own HM5's for 2 weeks. These are great headphones; when I just received them they were a bit dull and annoying, but after some burn-in they started to sound very-very good and pleasant!

But sadly burn-in also revealed channel imbalance on all frequencies ( right phone has wider soundstage and is louder than the left one ). frown.gif I checked this on different sources and double-checked with my friend on a blind test. I am very sensitive to such things and I can't just listen music with defective phones. frown.gif The problem is that I already sent my B2 IEM's to MP4Nation with exactly same problem! ( yes, I'm sure that the phones are defective and not my ears/ brain rolleyes.gif ).

So will it look strange from my side if I'll contact customer service with same reason?

Maybe there is a trick/ mod that will equal sound on both channels? 

Thanks.

 

Maybe you can use a balance control to try and equal them out, but honestly I would try to return or exchange them. That's not something you should have to deal with in a headphone.

post #1288 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by manveru View Post

 

Maybe you can use a balance control to try and equal them out, but honestly I would try to return or exchange them. That's not something you should have to deal with in a headphone.

Thanks for response.

I think in same way: headphones cannot be called "Studio Monitor" etc. if you get wrong instrument positioning... I'll sent back them after receive of replaced B2's.

post #1289 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

I own both (I own the identical Jaycars, that's really the way to go IMHO), and the HM5/FA-003/Lindy/Soundmagic/Jaycar Pro Monitors blow the ATH-M50s out of the water.

Wow, there is even a SoundMAGIC rebrand of these?

post #1290 of 1671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghardashyan View Post

Wow, there is even a SoundMAGIC rebrand of these?

Whoops! I think I got confused and messed up the name. I meant to say StudioSpares. 

http://www.studiospares.com/headphones-studio/studiospares-m1000-headphones/invt/448760/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ